New Muzzy and 45t question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Muzzy and 45t question

I just ordered new muzzy full system.Cant wait to get it on.Now I want to change sprocket size. Does anyone just have a 45t on rear and what will it do without changing sprocket up front.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Muzzy and 45t question

I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail (45T) and as soon as it does I will post a review about it.
My bike is in stock form as far as performance goes. So this will be a 14/45 tooth set-up with a new X ring chain and some Trakmasters!!!!

Dave

Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Buy a 13t front sprocket and keep the stock rear. You will save money and you willput the rpm range into the meat of the torque. I have this set up with the free mods and I weight about 265, and I can run all day at seventy miles and hour with no problems. And it will pull a wheelie in 1st and second gear. Duane 5157

Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Yes I run the stock 14t up front and a renthal 45t rear, its alot better imo. Only drawback is you need to buy a longer chain, whereas the 13t up front allows you to use the stock chain. I opted to keep the 14t up front because it has a vibration dampner on it and the replacements dont...some have complained and thenmost say they dont notice a difference without the dampner.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I was under the impression that either going one down in the front or 3 up in the back was the same thing performance wise. Since I've also heard that the stock chain was so-so, replacing it was a no-brainer along with the sprocket, plus it all has to come off for the new tires anyway.
That's why I went with a rear 45T. I've also heard the front 13T is louder than stock without the dampner and it will wear faster than a stock 14T.
Allthings considered, for me, the 45T was the way to go..................

Dave

Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: double d6

I was under the impression that either going one down in the front or 3 up in the back was the same thing performance wise. Since I've also heard that the stock chain was so-so, replacing it was a no-brainer along with the sprocket, plus it all has to come off for the new tires anyway.
That's why I went with a rear 45T. I've also heard the front 13T is louder than stock without the dampner and it will wear faster than a stock 14T.
Allthings considered, for me, the 45T was the way to go..................

Dave
What he said,

Iam running 14/45 and really like the change!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
i eventually went 45 in the rear with the 13 up front and this is the best ratio imofor the bike because it puts it into the meat of the power quicker and gives you more low end.
buying a larger rear sprocket is really meaningless unless you go up at least 3 teeth
if you want to spend unnecessary moneygo ahead, but if you want a cheap, easy, immedately effective mod, then the13 tooth with stock rear and chain is the way to go.
Well, seeing that you eventually went with a 45T, I doubt it would be consideredunnecessary in your case...NO??? These mods, being performance or asthetics are all pretty muchbased finally on what you want as the rider. There are so many combinations of mods that when -not- taken into account the riders ability, location and financial HOLE,one cannot say definatley one way is better than the other. For me it was an easy decision because I'm getting tires,so it all has to go anyway.Green Gypsy specifically asked about the 45T (which is 3 up from stock-no?), not the 13T--So saying it is meaningless pretty much just takes what I just bought and the advice I just gaveas B/S and YOU-- are right??
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I spent alot of time researching this from some sound advice from this board. Ifinally took the plunge and spent over$300.. and to hear that all this was unnecessary and meaningless just rubs me the wrong way I guess.[:@]
So take no offense from my post, but use it as constructive criticism....ok???

Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That was the first mod I did was the 13 tooth. And while it made a difference, I decided that when the shop did the jetting and the full muzzy I might as well have them put on the 45 tooth on the bike. I think its perfect. I can still do 60-65 comfortably and on the trails it has that low end grunt we all love. GIT-R-DONE!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Did I just say GIT-R-Done?.......Lord I apologize...and be with the starving pygmies down in New Guinea..amen. I guess its just one of those goofy days where the caffeine has taken over and I am just trying to hold on.[8D]

Quick Reply: New Muzzy and 45t question