New KLX250S owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Bluezr7, does your Delkevic slip into the seal with the stock header or did you have to remove the seal ?

Last edited by Klxster; 03-01-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey Bluezr7, does your Delkevic slip into the seal with the stock header or did you have to remove the seal ?
They provide an additional gasket which slips into the original header. You keep the oringnal header gasket in place. Depending on the condition of this gasket you may need to use sealant. If you get a new OEM gasket and a decent exhaust clamp (mine is rusty and doesn't tighten down evenly), I doubt you will need to use sealant. If I haven't explained it well enough I can take a photo. The Delkevic pipe has a much smaller diameter (32mm OD) than the original exhaust, not sure what effect it has on power but the rusty boat anchor that was on there before had to go and these are well priced.

My initial jetting settings I decided upon after viewing the jetting database. A lot of guys with aftermarket pipes and headers are running that combo so I thought it would be a good starting point. Also I have found with other bikes that US based settings tend to run too rich here, possibly due to different fuel composition. Of course I will do my own testing to fine tune and confirm. Also to add further complication, I could be moving to a place which is at sea level but all the good riding is up in hilly or mountainous area.

Last edited by Bluezr7; 03-01-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

So the Delkevic midpipe starts off with the same O.D. as the stock header. (No wonder the ChinaBomb didn't fit.)

That makes it a TRQ producer with a top end that'll "run out of breath" somewhere just over 9k - probably identical to the DGR slipon I dyno tested.. Assuming you aren't running some kind of restrictive quiet insert..

After you get through jetting your bike and riding it around some, do yourself a favor and try a DJ140 main jet, clip on 2nd notch down from the top, airbox lid OFF... Dyno charts for this setup with a comparable/if not practically identical exhaust system indicates some room for additional richness that your fuel may provide.. You'll get about 22hp and a little over 16 lb ft of TRQ, at the rear wheel on a 77F day (SAE standard day)... As with other members that use this "recipe", you'll never look back..

Last edited by Klxster; 03-02-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I do have the restrictive quiet insert, but only until I get the jet kit.

Got the Kreiger cam chain tensioner in today along with the side protection. Love the tensioner the motor is so quiet now. Just the slightest of ticks when cold and silent when warm.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll get about 22hp and a little over 16 lb ft of TRQ,
pretty sure our bike "down under" already make this or more....... its only you poor yanks with your really restricted/lean bikes that don't.........

Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't it be nice if Aussie bikes had different Cams/Cam sprockets/Compression ratio/exhaust and intake/carbs etc etc.. If so, the part numbers would be different. I think this has been explored long ago in here with nothing unusual with the Aussie bikes found..

We did determined that the ignition timing is different - with 35 degrees total timing. But then the PayRay module ( KLX CDI module ) when set to the Aussie curve, has not been proven to add power to a US spec KLX...

Perhaps the only difference is in how power is measured in Oz, DIN vs SAE..?

Last edited by Klxster; 03-04-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Bluezr7, I'm trying to see the Delkevic midpipe on your pics.. It does seem to be the same size as the stock header piping - does it "megaphone" out to a larger O.D. as it connects to the silencer?

The silencer and tip seem to fully protect the turn signal from exhaust damage..? If so, Delkevic has achieved something the morons at FMF, DG, etc.. can't figure out..

Old 03-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluezr7
I do have the restrictive quiet insert, but only until I get the jet kit.

Got the Kreiger cam chain tensioner in today along with the side protection. Love the tensioner the motor is so quiet now. Just the slightest of ticks when cold and silent when warm.
THAT is virtually perfect. A small amount of play when cold that goes away with the thermal expansion of the engine.

You might consider using a if you can get it in Australia. I use one in both my KLX650 and 250 to fill for lean jetting. It is like a Mikuni PowerJet, but blends air in for an emulsified mix instead of raw fuel. They're more a big name in ATV and Snowmobiles than bikes. I'd say because those are two newer industries not as entrenched with using brass versus bikes and the old established process of jetting. Read up on it, it makes sense and from my experience it works.

Last edited by klx678; 03-04-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey, Bluezr7, I'm trying to see the Delkevic midpipe on your pics.. It does seem to be the same size as the stock header piping - does it "megaphone" out to a larger O.D. as it connects to the silencer?

The silencer and tip seem to fully protect the turn signal from exhaust damage..? If so, Delkevic has achieved something the morons at FMF, DG, etc.. can't figure out..
Yes it does megaphone out at the point it connects to the silencer.

While the tip is very close to the turn signal it hasn't burned it yet and the exhaust exits out beyond the signal. I've had the pipe mounted for at least 1000kms now. I'll get slimline LED signals if it starts to melt. My rego plate is not so lucky.

Quick Reply: New KLX250S owner