Need help/input on used 2009 250S

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need help/input on used 2009 250S

Hello,

I have owned a CRF250L and XT250, both of them 2013 and both I purchased new. I am still very much a rookie/noob rider, in my 40's, just looking for a solid dual sport bike for primarily fire access/gravel roads, and very mild trail riding.

There is a 2009 KLX250S for sale in my area that has a lot of mods done, most of which I'm familiar with by brand name (such as FMF pipe, IMS tank, etc).

I know nothing about this model bike however, and how all the mods done on the bike perform or if they are standard changes, extreme changes that may lead to reduced life of the engine, etc.

The seller lists 15K miles, here is the ad: "300cc Bill Blue bore kit installed around 10k, Dynojet components, and FMF Q4 exhaust recently repacked with Big Gun long life packing. Replaced 14t countersprocket with 13t for more power, chain is newer. Also includes 3 gal IMS tank giving more range than the stock 2 gal tank (I've been averaging around 60mpg) Stock saddle replaced with Corbin allowing for all day riding. New sealed battery last summer. Acerbis bark busters. Valves adjusted about 1000 miles ago, all four taken out to max clearance. Head looked good, no symptoms from motor. Complete emissions system provided in a box along with the stock tank, remains of DJ kit, owner manual, a couple of oil filters, etc."

He is asking $3200... I have not seen the bike yet. Can I get some input from you experienced 250S owners? Is 15K miles high for this bike? My main concern is the valve as I don't really know what "max clearance" means.

Wall of text over and thanks to anyone who can offer some tips.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

well its got all the good bits on it, does not mention bash plate so have a good look under it.
Listen for engine noise, timing chain is common, have a good listen down low forward of the water pump for balancer shaft bearings (not common, I am just paranoid )

Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Where'd the XT and the CRF go, the klx will be alot like either of those. If there was something about those bikes that caused you to part with them the klx will be more of the same. With the 300cc jug the klx should be peppier than either of the other bikes but not by alot. I live in the midwest so I don't know about prices in your area but $3200 for that bike is high for here, $2500-2750 here. This is a klx forum so expect positive reviews.

Last edited by linkin5; 08-31-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope 15K isn't high mileage, my '12 has 23K.
I agree that $3200 is a little high for a price. Mods and add-ons are lost money, in my opinion, and should not figure too much into price.
The emissions crap is just plumbing to make the bike meet Cali EPA requirements, and plumbing that isn't necessary for a good running bike, but you might need it for inspection??
The valves have a range of acceptable clearances. As they wear the clearance becomes less....so the valves adjusted to max clearance just lets you run longer until you need to adjust them again.
I don't think any of the mods will shorten the bikes life.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks all. i live in california so at some point that EPA crap has to be dealt with.

i sold the XT250 (my first bike) because i knew it was something that i would not keep long term and i had a buyer that met my full price. the XT was easy to ride (meaning very underpowered & short).

the CRF250L i enjoyed a ton and had put in the 13T sprocket along with EJK programmer. I regret selling that bike but again was offered a deal that couldn't pass up.

$3200 does seem a bit high. A dealer not too far from me has a new 2012 KLX sitting in his showroom and is asking for $4299. The question becomes the mods...the FMF Q4 and jetkit, just how effective are these? i've tried finding some actual data (ie dyno charts) not just "butt dyno says" feedback. really what is probably more important are the 13T sprocket, rear rack, and bash plate.

while i do mostly gravel roads/trails, can someone give me an indication on 'highway' performance? If you have a 13T sprocket, what RPM are you turning in 6th @ 65mph? i am not interested in hitting 70mph+ but speeds of 65mph, sustained, would matter.

anyway thinking this all through seems like the better path would be getting that 'new' 2012 and seeing what the dealer can be talked down to or include in the deal, than a 3 year old bike with 15K miles on it, even with all the mods. anyone disagree there?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Depends on how you calibrate your peace-of-mindometer. IMHO, you know what your getting with a new bike, or a used one from a good friend. I've done the power mods, shown in this forum, on my new bike as listed below. It now wheelies and accelerates hard. It goes 85mph plus on the road - I let off as it hit 86 - all with the stock 14 tooth primary. Total cost for the mods $215. I'm sorry I can't tell you the exact RPM @ 65 mph. See my posts for dyno charts and videos.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Price seems high as others have stated. That seat looks wonderful (stock seat is a vinyl covered 2x4). No bash plate, so look for damage. The smog stuff goes away with any aftermarket tank. You'll need the stock tank if you want to put the smog stuff back on. Not really an issue now, but Cali is hinting at wanting to smog test bikes. If it's nearby have a look. Offer $2700 and go from there.

This bike will be quicker than a stock bike. 300cc with the mods will prove to be a fun bike. It's not setup for freeway. 14T sprocket will be around 7k at 65MPH. 13T makes it more for the dirt than the streets... but you can always change that. I'd love to have a bigger tank and better seat. The guy probably wants $3k for it. I have 6k miles on my 2009. I don't think 15k miles is high.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The jets, pipe, and filter with minor airbox mods are a must for this bike, at least in 250 form and I'm sure it applies to a 300 also. As a stock 250 it was anemic and sorry. My first mod was a pipe and that alone was huge, later the other stuff and it all helped to the point the I now have a pretty good running 250. That being said when buying a used bike upgrades have little value in the selling price unless you find a bike set up just the way you want and are willing to pay extra.