My Green winter project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Green winter project.

ORIGINAL: fastraveller

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

ORIGINAL: fastraveller

There is so much GREAT info on "free-mod's", pumper carbs,and "Big Bore" kits that it's nice to see someone put some time and money into serious suspension mods on the KLX250S. The Pirelli's look awesome asdoes the rear sprocket and chain. However, I wanted to ask if you spoke to the Suspension tuner about using thetie-downstrap to "squeeze" your fork sliders together in that manner.This has to result in significant stiction and I could not imagine any serious suspension guru recommending that you perform this step (but I could be wrong). It seems like thepressure applied on theinsides of the fork internals could ruin the forks in a very short period of time, not to mention preventing the fork tubes from sliding up-and-down as they were designed to do. I'm sure the axle isacting as a "spreader" near the bottum of the sliders butthat strap is also applying more pressure to the upper fork tubes. Please don't take this personally, I've just never heard/read of anyone ever having done this andI would hate to see such incredible money, time and effort resultin a disaster for you. I truly hope you get results from these mods that far exceed your expectations. Please let us know how it turns out.

David
I'm not sure I understand your concern. The only reason for the strap was to hold the bottom of the forks together while tightening the axle carrier. If you don't do something similar to this there is side to side play on the front wheel which could result in some serious squirellyness(is that a word) while riding. There is no significant pressure placed on the forks. When you unbolt the axle carrier in the stock configuration the forks will seperateabout 1/16 of an inch. The front wheel should not be able to "float" side to side. The strap was only lightly applied so that I couldset the front by myself. You assumtion that the axle is acting as a spreader is incorrect because the right side of the axle slides in the carrier. However, I guess I don't completely understand what you are proposing. As far as John @ MotoPro suggesting this, no he did not. But I will call him and ask if there is any potential problems as a result and report back. Thanks for the comment, many questions and comments like this make me rethink things and double check myself. I make fewer mistakes that way.

Ooops, my apologies, your caption for that photo says that you pulled the strap "tight" before torquing. I interpreted that to mean that you may have "cranked" on it. Your explanation in your responseabovedoes indicate that you used the strap to merelyhold/support the sliders in place. My bad. Again, no offense was meant, just concern. Good luck.
David
NO APOLOGIES NEEDED!!!!
I read and reread your post then talked to John at MotoPro and your are 100% CORRECT!
Even what I did to hold everything in place was incorrect. What KLXer said is the correct way to do the front! I loosened the pinch bolts and checked my axle torque again then went through all the motions to get everything "relaxed" then retorqued the pinch bolts.
There was no offense taken......I was serious when I said that these comments compel me to rethink what I do and one of two things usually happen. Either I come away convinced that I am right, or I learn something new. This time thanks to you I learned something, and quite possibly saved myself some headaches down the road.
Again, thanks for pointing out my error! I am indebted to you. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-03-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't you just love it when a forum functions exactly in the manner it should? Nice work guys.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Excellent critical eye, fastraveller! Thanks for joining up and welcome!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 PM

Glad to be of help. I've been lurking for a couple of months after seeing a link on the massive ADVRider KLX250S thread on the Thumper Forum. I don't own a KLX but I love the little bike and the work that you all are doing to them. The quality of theaftermarket equipmentthat youall are using is truly exceptional. I currently ride an '05 ST1300 but plan to buy a DS whenever possible. The KLX is the preferred bike at this time. I'll have to settleon "riding and modding vicariously" through all of you until that time.

David

Old 02-04-2007, 05:34 AM

One of my good friends and riding buddies has the ST 1300. He also hints about getting a DS. I wish he would so we could ride in the dirt also. Get one you won't regret it!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM

That's the plan, but not as soon as I would like.

David

Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

What handguards are those?
Obviously they are Acerbis what what model # are they?

Im trying to decide on a new set and those look nice and may fit my needs.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

They are the Acerbis Flag model. Check this link out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acerb...75458993QQrdZ1

Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Thanks