My Green winter project.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My Green winter project.

This is my attempt at describing some of the modifications that I have done this winter. Forgive me for not being as detailed and informative as Nobrakes. He gets my vote for the "dirtbike tv guy". These pictures start in the putting it back together phase. I was to busy tearing apart to stop and take pictures of that.
I got a TM33 carb, all modified and set up from Bill Blue. It's pretty much a direct refit from the stock carb. The only modification is to remove the throttle return cable and relocate the idle adjustment ****.

Name:  DSC01403.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  103.2 KB
Naked and helpless.

Name:  DSC01407.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  57.1 KB
I plugged the return throttle cable hole with a metric set screw.

Name:  DSC01408.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.9 KB
Carb left side

Name:  DSC01409.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  58.4 KB
Carbright side
Now for the Suspension

Name:  DSC01412.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  82.6 KB
You can see the difference in the amount of coils and the diameter of the coil.

Name:  DSC01413.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  104.3 KB
Rear spring and Swingarm Installed. I repacked all the Swingarm and link bearings while it was apart.

Name:  DSC01416.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  89.1 KB
This is my new Perelli MT21 and Rental 45T Aluminum Sprocket

Name:  DSC01417.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  107.2 KB
And of coarse it wouldn't be complete without the Final Drive Gold O-Ring Chain
Now for the front forks:

Name:  DSC01424.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  94.6 KB
The forks are resprung for my weight, and Ultra Max Valveing installed. Also I added the Tusk seal savers.

Name:  DSC01430.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  66.3 KB
This is a picture of the push button fork bleeders. I believe there are a couple of guys on here using these.

Name:  DSC01437.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  83.6 KB
When putting the top gaurd clamps on the seal savers you have to pull them into place with Vise grips so that the bolts will reach. Once you do this you can remove one visegrip and insert a bolt, then do the other one.

Name:  DSC01435.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  78.9 KB
This is how it looks when you are finished.

Name:  DSC01441.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  82.7 KB
Well so far I have the approval of Zack. (He's my biggest critic)

Name:  DSC01443.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  100.7 KB

So now all I'm waiting on is the kick start kit. And thankfully that has already been documented. As soon as I get that done. I'll be letting you all know how the pumper responds and how the suspension feels. I'd much rather ride it than work on it....... But both are fun.
Now to move over in the garage and begin putting my 600R back together.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Green winter project.

Looks great, vfrpilot! That's a nice tip on squeezing the forks together to eliminate any play in the front tire. Suspension is going to be high on my list for this upcoming year. That's also a great idea on plugging up the unused throttle cable hole with a screw. Why didn't I think of that? I used silicone sealent, but I think my blob fell out.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

OMG is that a big screen TV in your garage?That's it I'm moving there and renting a space there. I promise I won't eat much and if I get bored I will clean for food. Nice pics. Hey did you get my pm on the question? Sorry my IT guy was remote accessing my machine and I had to cut it short. feel free to ask more.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I got your PM. I appreciate the insight. I only wonder now if the rear shock on the TW can be changed to something adjustable.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 AM
1st Gear Member

hey howmuch lighter is that aluminum(it is aluminum irght?) swinger arm over stock?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks sweet man... what did the upgraded suspension run you? I know marty just got new springs, im wondering if revalveing is important to do to?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

That swing arm is the stock one. Its just the sprocket that is aluminum. Weight savings there is minimal.

At MotoPro, I removed my forks and shipped them out to John. He did all the calculations and figured out what springs to use. Then revalved them and set them to what he thought would work best for me, for the type riding that I do. He installed new seals (I had one that was leaking) and shipped them back. The total bill was $718. The Ultra Max valve kit was the bulk of the price but after talking with John at length on the subject, I was convinced that this would change the bike in such a way that I would enjoy it so much more.
There are several ways of thinking when it comes to performance on dirt bikes. Personally, I think that before I need mega power, I need to be able to control it.I've also noticed on several ocasionsthat the most powerful bike on the track is not the fastest bike. Suspension plays a huge role in how fast you can go.
However, this is all just an opinion until I can get out and put it through its paces to see how much difference there is.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks great! Amazing how a chain and sprocket change the look of a bike.

Nice pilots too, I always to try one of those.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

hey howmuch lighter is that aluminum(it is aluminum irght?) swinger arm over stock?
Stock is aluminum, just painted so it does not look like the MXers.

"UNI-TRAKĀ® Rear Suspension
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- Lightweight aluminum swingarm reduces unsprung weight
- 11.0 in of travel
- Shock features 16-way adjustable compression damping"

Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Im speechless......all I can say is wow [sm=drooldude.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Green winter project.