My Green winter project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Green winter project.

Is that just a rear sprocket listedtofitthe KLX300? How about the front 300 also? The Renthals & chain look like a nice setup.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

Is that just a rear sprocket listedtofitthe KLX300? How about the front 300 also? The Renthals & chain look like a nice setup.
Yes, that is the rear spocket only. Actually that rear sprocket fits several bikes. It's the same bolt pattern and bore as my RMZ250. The front, as far as I know is specific to the 250S.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice job man!!!

Great mods and pics!!! Personally, I think the "do it all at once" method is the most efficent....

Old 02-03-2007, 01:33 AM

There is so much GREAT info on "free-mod's", pumper carbs,and "Big Bore" kits that it's nice to see someone put some time and money into serious suspension mods on the KLX250S. The Pirelli's look awesome asdoes the rear sprocket and chain. However, I wanted to ask if you spoke to the Suspension tuner about using thetie-downstrap to "squeeze" your fork sliders together in that manner.This has to result in significant stiction and I could not imagine any serious suspension guru recommending that you perform this step (but I could be wrong). It seems like thepressure applied on theinsides of the fork internals could ruin the forks in a very short period of time, not to mention preventing the fork tubes from sliding up-and-down as they were designed to do. I'm sure the axle isacting as a "spreader" near the bottum of the sliders butthat strap is also applying more pressure to the upper fork tubes. Please don't take this personally, I've just never heard/read of anyone ever having done this andI would hate to see such incredible money, time and effort resultin a disaster for you. I truly hope you get results from these mods that far exceed your expectations. Please let us know how it turns out.

David

Old 02-03-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastraveller

There is so much GREAT info on "free-mod's", pumper carbs,and "Big Bore" kits that it's nice to see someone put some time and money into serious suspension mods on the KLX250S. The Pirelli's look awesome asdoes the rear sprocket and chain. However, I wanted to ask if you spoke to the Suspension tuner about using thetie-downstrap to "squeeze" your fork sliders together in that manner.This has to result in significant stiction and I could not imagine any serious suspension guru recommending that you perform this step (but I could be wrong). It seems like thepressure applied on theinsides of the fork internals could ruin the forks in a very short period of time, not to mention preventing the fork tubes from sliding up-and-down as they were designed to do. I'm sure the axle isacting as a "spreader" near the bottum of the sliders butthat strap is also applying more pressure to the upper fork tubes. Please don't take this personally, I've just never heard/read of anyone ever having done this andI would hate to see such incredible money, time and effort resultin a disaster for you. I truly hope you get results from these mods that far exceed your expectations. Please let us know how it turns out.

David
I'm not sure I understand your concern. The only reason for the strap was to hold the bottom of the forks together while tightening the axle carrier. If you don't do something similar to this there is side to side play on the front wheel which could result in some serious squirellyness(is that a word) while riding. There is no significant pressure placed on the forks. When you unbolt the axle carrier in the stock configuration the forks will seperateabout 1/16 of an inch. The front wheel should not be able to "float" side to side. The strap was only lightly applied so that I couldset the front by myself. You assumtion that the axle is acting as a spreader is incorrect because the right side of the axle slides in the carrier. However, I guess I don't completely understand what you are proposing. As far as John @ MotoPro suggesting this, no he did not. But I will call him and ask if there is any potential problems as a result and report back. Thanks for the comment, many questions and comments like this make me rethink things and double check myself. I make fewer mistakes that way.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:13 AM

Wow, thats the most tricked out KLX I have seen yet, well suspension wise, good job . I am pretty much all set up with my KLX, I don't plan on throwing in any more money on it. Its kinda like what they say about Marijuana, if you never try it then you will never know what it feels like, thus you wont ever jones to smoke it. Same with the suspension, if I don't know what a good suspension feels like, then obviously I have to like what I have . I love what you have done!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Looks nice. A lot of work done.
I too have not seen that front end technique done before.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm, dont know if I follow...

To do the front wheel you should tighten the axle to full torque with the pinch bolts loose. Then compresss the fork a few times or spin the front wheel & slam on the brakes either helps the axle "find its home" (while bike is on center stand) & prevents front end harshness (word?). Then & only then do you do the pinch bolts.

Iused this method for years after reading about it in the moto rags. But giving it even more credibility-------I had the honor of being the right next to Mike Gosselar (sp) while he did a complete front end change on RC's bike in the pits of a MX national a couple years ago. He used this exact method to the T. If it works for RC, it works for me. I was just a spectator on the "fan" side of the pit ropes but was no more than 4 feet away at most, easilycould of slapped him on the back for a job well done.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

Yeah, I got your PM. I appreciate the insight. I only wonder now if the rear shock on the TW can be changed to something adjustable.
Not sure about the rear shock, but it seems like you should be able to pop in an adjustable one. Next time you're at the shop ask them if it can be changed. I just asked the wife if she rode the TW200 and she justreminded me that the 200 is the bike that she used in the MSF class.Funny thing about that, the guy that taught the class was a young punk and treated my wife like she was a dummy, See my wife has the 225 and her friend has the 200 and they both asked theinstructor if they could switch bikes for the class and he said no. Anyway the 200 actually might be the better bike for your wife. I asked the wife which bike felt lower and she said the 200 is. Good luck on your choice.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

ORIGINAL: fastraveller

David
I'm not sure I understand your concern. The only reason for the strap was to hold the bottom of the forks together while tightening the axle carrier. If you don't do something similar to this there is side to side play on the front wheel which could result in some serious squirellyness(is that a word) while riding. There is no significant pressure placed on the forks. When you unbolt the axle carrier in the stock configuration the forks will seperateabout 1/16 of an inch. The front wheel should not be able to "float" side to side. The strap was only lightly applied so that I couldset the front by myself. You assumtion that the axle is acting as a spreader is incorrect because the right side of the axle slides in the carrier. However, I guess I don't completely understand what you are proposing. As far as John @ MotoPro suggesting this, no he did not. But I will call him and ask if there is any potential problems as a result and report back. Thanks for the comment, many questions and comments like this make me rethink things and double check myself. I make fewer mistakes that way.

Ooops, my apologies, your caption for that photo says that you pulled the strap "tight" before torquing. I interpreted that to mean that you may have "cranked" on it. Your explanation in your responseabovedoes indicate that you used the strap to merelyhold/support the sliders in place. My bad. Again, no offense was meant, just concern. Good luck.
David

Quick Reply: My Green winter project.