Muzzy Exhaust header heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Default Muzzy Exhaust header heat shield

One complaint I now have about the Muzzy pipe is the lack of heat shield on the header. I've already left a little bit of my mx pants on the header. When you sloshing through mud and trying to muscle your bike out of a hole on back upright, it's ineveitable you will make contact with the pipe.

Has anyone come up with a solution ot get the stock heat shield mounted ot the pipe. I'm wondering if some 3/4" or 1" pipe clamps would fit around the pipe there. Then you could drill and tap into them for the heat shield. The other option is to weld to it.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy Exhaust header heat shield

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

One complaint I now have about the Muzzy pipe is the lack of heat shield on the header. I've already left a little bit of my mx pants on the header. When you sloshing through mud and trying to muscle your bike out of a hole on back upright, it's ineveitable you will make contact with the pipe.

Has anyone come up with a solution ot get the stock heat shield mounted ot the pipe. I'm wondering if some 3/4" or 1" pipe clamps would fit around the pipe there. Then you could drill and tap into them for the heat shield. The other option is to weld to it.

Any thoughts?
I plan to take my old header to a muffler shop and have them make a couple of mounts on the Muzzy to match. Welding stainless is beyond my meager skills (and welding equipment).

Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Any thoughts?
I've seen some bikes that had an insulating fabric wrapped around the header pipe at the point where your leg crosses. I can't seem to find any photos now, though. But here is some of the tape:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...662&division=6

Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 AM

I'm not that big on how the exhaust header looks, so I might just wrap it with that tape you listed. I think in many cases, keeping the header warm can also increase exhaust gas flow, but probably wears out the packing material in the muffler faster.