Exhaust Heat Shield Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Exhaust Heat Shield Mod

One last mod for this weekend was to put the original heat shield back on the new Big Gun head pipe (keeps the pants burns to a minimum.....)
Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures001.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  62.0 KB

Using the great advisefound inpast postings on this forum, the first thing I needed to do was to pre-place the circular hose clamps on the header pipe to get the general placement right. I didn't worry too much about the exact placement of the clamps, only in general so that I could gauge how I wanted them to be tightened and look (be hidden) when the job was done.

I wanted to be sure that onceI started drilling them, that the hole where the bolt would go would enable me to tighten them all the way and keep the tightener out of view as much as possible.

To do that accurately, I placed the bolts within and to the side of each clamp while it was on the pipe to get the exact position of where I wanted to drill the hole.

That was, in my opinion, the most important measurement. I then used a sharpi to mark the spot on each clamp nextto the bolts.

Sorry about the pic, the camera was not paying attention to whatI wanted it to focus on...[:@]:
Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures004.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures006.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  24.3 KB

Once I had them marked, I drilled them out and secured the bolts in each.
Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures007.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures008.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  20.6 KB

Each bolt was a quarter inch flat head bolt and was bolted on with split lock washer and a nut. The two on the ends were 1/2 inch long bolts, but the one in the middle was a 3/4 inch bolt and needed two nuts below the heat shield to seat it correctly.

I ended up placing the clamping mechanisms under the head pipe for the front and back clamps, but had to place the clamping mechanism for the middle clamp on top so it would not interfere with the clutch mechanism. I just tilted it way back so that it was barely visible but still able to get clamped down on. (Again, this was measured in advance so that the hole in the clamp was in the correct position).
Name:  ExhaustGuardpictures010.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  40.6 KB

I put it all together loosely in place, then tightened the circle clamps down, then put the final nuts on over the heat shield (with a bit of loc-tite) and tightened them down.

I really liked the look of the original heat shield so I was glad there were other postings on how to get this back on the replacement header pipe!!

Cheers!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Default RE: Exhaust Heat Shield Mod

Good stuff I have my big gun off right now and was thinking of ordering the exhaust tape. I'm going to use your idea after work tomorrow.

Thank you [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

very nice. I wanted to do the stock heat shield, but I decided to cheat and bling the bike with this one.
Name:  Picture_0146.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  103.1 KB

Old 01-02-2007, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

very nice. I wanted to do the stock heat shield, but I decided to cheat and bling the bike with this one.

Damn Deej, thats the CLEANEST FRIGGEN BIKE I've every seen [sm=hail.gif]. Do you ride it around wraped in plastic??

Man, I think I need cleanning lessions.... You must cringe when you see the pics I posted of my 'clean" bike....[sm=lame.gif]

Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxCouple

Good stuff I have my big gun off right now and was thinking of ordering the exhaust tape. I'm going to use your idea after work tomorrow.

Thank you [sm=goodidea.gif]
yeah, I saw two others walk though it on thisforum and thought that was a great way to go if you want to keep the original heat shield!! Good luck!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Is my bike clean? I hadn't noticed. Ok you got me, and that picture was with over 3000 miles on it.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Deej if you saw my bike now.... you would have a seizure..... i went riding with the new 606 on it right after the rain... and because of winter i put the hose away.... so i havent sprayed it off yet..... its full of mud.... hehe.... been busy working on my truck for the trip..... Over the weekend i got my transmission and coolant flushed, changed my oil, greased it, rotated the tires, tinted the windshield... cleaned the mass airflow sensor and throttle body.... did that all myself in my dads garage.... all ready for the trip now.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Good write up! I think I will do that too.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

deej, u have a link handy for that shield?[8D]
just strapped my big gun on this weekend, that sounds kinky right? anyways... sounds badass but i need a heatshield for it

Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

OMG - where's Iowaguy when you need him? Look at that Big Gun header... It's not quite as shiny as Iowaguy would have us believe, now is it? I think I like the bronzed look of the stainless Muzzy header.

LOL, not trying to jack the thread here, but that's the first thing I noticed about the pictures when I realized it's a Big Gun.
Not that it matters either - who really cares what color the head pipe is..?? I think I'll paint mine pink. Someday.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Heat Shield Mod