Maintenance questions(two)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Maintenance questions(two)

Cheers: I have two questions I couldn't find much info about,

1. When and how do we lube the bearings on the KLX? Ie; Wheel Bearings, Steering Bearing. I noticed a squeak from my front wheel while rolling it into my Garage.

2. Are we supposed to "Drain" trapped particals from the stock exhaust Via the Allen Head bolt near the end of the muffler.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Maintenance questions(two)

as far as the wheel bearings go get the wheel off the ground and try and move it left and right. if it moves then the bearings need to be replaced forget about greasing them they're sealed. the steering head and swingarm bearings should probably be done once a year. i'm curious to know what sort of particles could be in the muffler that would need to be drained out. air can hardly get thru there never mind anything of size. water maybe but i doubt it.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

as far as the wheel bearings go get the wheel off the ground and try and move it left and right. if it moves then the bearings need to be replaced forget about greasing them they're sealed. the steering head and swingarm bearings should probably be done once a year. i'm curious to know what sort of particles could be in the muffler that would need to be drained out. air can hardly get thru there never mind anything of size. water maybe but i doubt it.
Thanks for the Info on the Bearings. I remember seeing something about removing the allen head bolt and tapping on the muffler with a rubber mallot to remove particles. Can't remember where I saw it.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Although the front wheel bearings are sealed, check you tq on the front axle. Prior to the pinch bolts of course.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

The manual claims that the muffler can build up with carbon and thats a cleanout plug. With all the machines I've ridden including a 1985 Honda that I rode from the day it was new up through 2000 not once did I ever get any carbon out of those plugs.

If you have down time, at the very least grease the suspension linkage bearings, mine were dry, relatively, from the factory. Its not terribly difficult to get the linkage to drop out.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Id definitly do the suspension bearings as states above.

The little squeak could have been from the brake pads dragging on the rotor. Even though the brakes arenot applied the pads still drag on the rotor slightly and may squeak at walking speeds.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4SEVEN3

Id definitly do the suspension bearings as states above.

The little squeak could have been from the brake pads dragging on the rotor. Even though the brakes arenot applied the pads still drag on the rotor slightly and may squeak at walking speeds.
Cool! Thanks. I will check it when I bleed the air from my forks.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I greased my swingarm/linkage bearings earlier this summer using the thread nobrakes posted above..it was very helpful and not hard at all, took maybe an hour or so (and i take my time doing stuff)...highly recommended as there is very little grease in there from the factory...I should really get at the front steeringstem bearings as well, deej did his and found they also had very little grease on them from the factory...

BTW deej, did greasing them alleviate that sticking steering problem you had?...I remember reading the thread, but was confused whether that was the fix or not.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

I greased my swingarm/linkage bearings earlier this summer using the thread nobrakes posted above..it was very helpful and not hard at all, took maybe an hour or so (and i take my time doing stuff)...highly recommended as there is very little grease in there from the factory...I should really get at the front steeringstem bearings as well, deej did his and found they also had very little grease on them from the factory...

BTW deej, did greasing them alleviate that sticking steering problem you had?...I remember reading the thread, but was confused whether that was the fix or not.
It absolutely fixed the problem. I can imagine needing to grease the steering bearing every couple of years or sooner. Over washing the bike might have had something to do with it, but there is no conclusive evidence to prove that.[8D]