Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Flywheel?

Did anyone shave there flywheel down? i'm gonna shave mine, but i was wondering how much can come off it weight wise.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Flywheel?

It might be ok for the street, but I would'nt want to give up the low end grunt for quick r's off road.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

No friggin way would i ever give up my grunt for some fast revs.........you do what you want but i really think you are a fool for doing it........

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting responses, I have a few friends that have added flywheel weights to their ktm's to tame the bike down a little......I'm VERY interested in getting some weight offour flywheel and untame her a little....any extra snap would be good.

Thrillbilly, I am unaware of anyone on this forum doing this but I have read about it somewhere onthe net for our klx....just don't remember where. PLEASE post results of what ya come up with ..... or at least PM me.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I like to pin it to win it! Yeah i no it may lose some grunt, but every small bore 4 stroke i ever owned i never had a regret shaving it. unless u take TOO much..

Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Forge ahead, Thrillbilly! It's one more piece of info to add to the collective knowledge of this forum. Dare to be a KLX250S 'pioneer!' It's not like you can'tgo back to the stock flywheel mass ifresults aren't favorable.

One thing for sure is that the added info will be assimilated...."resistance is futile!"

Make sure to post the results. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got a new computer I lost all my old info! I lightened mine in September and it revs alot faster, enough so That I dropped my gearing down from 13/50 to 14/46 and it still has the same snap. I really don't see a big difference off road but i ride in sand so its almost always screaming it's gut out.
Good kuck,
Kevin

Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1
I just got a new computer I lost all my old info! I lightened mine in September and it revs alot faster, enough so That I dropped my gearing down from 13/50 to 14/46 and it still has the same snap. I really don't see a big difference off road but i ride in sand so its almost always screaming it's gut out.
Good kuck,
Kevin
Alright kgwld, here's a pic of the flywheel for our klx, what do you do? ...... take it to a machine shop and have them lathe off metal from outer portion of the flywheel? How Much? Details Man!

Name:  DSC01019.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  108.5 KB

Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I haven't taken mine off yet but i'm sure you can lose any ribs on it or just take a little off the O.D. Not sure how much to take off but you would notice even a 1/4 pound. My friend took somthing like a pound off of his TTR 150 and WOW was that thing a different animal.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I wonder how this affects the electrical properties of the magneto (if any)...
(Could it result in less power output?)

Quick Reply: Flywheel?