Looking for stock klx300 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for stock klx300 exhaust

ORIGINAL: RU2112SH

I have a feeling I'll just drill out the stock can
I tried that, and I wouldnt do it again.it makes the bike run to hot and that means its to lean.you would have to rejet it for it to work

Old 02-16-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

RU, that sounds like a good start. Personally I skipped drilling the stocker because of possible warranty issues down the line. To avoid any complications at the dealer I kept everything to return it to stock configuration so there can't be any complaints. I'm not sure where you live but if you can hold off I would just wait a bit, 300 pipes turn up quite often on e-bay. Or save up for a bit and opt for the HMF slip on.

If you haven't heard it before here's a link to an audio/video file of my setup CLICK ME

And if you haven't seen it:

I added the downturn on the end to keep the exhaust smell off of whatever I had on my cargo rack..................generally it was my lunch bag as I commute to work on the KLX when its above 40 outside.
Bike sounds awesome not to loud but a nice throaty sound. I was planning on getting the HMF slip on in time but figured the 300 exhuast would do the trick untill then. I didn't want to name a particular exhaust because I have seen the arguments it has caused. Power is all relative put carmichael on a 50 and me on a 450 he still beats me.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

One advantage the 300 has over most other pipes (staintune excluded) is that there is no packing to replace............ever. It's all mechanical baffles with a built in spark arrestor. Yes it is heavier than an aftermarket but honestly 2-3 lbs isn't much on a 290lb bike. In an older atv magazine I had, on an atv such as a Yamaha Warrior or equivalent size losing 10lbs was roughly equivalent to 1hp gain as far as performance goes.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

RU2112SH and/or KLXer,

Ivote one or both of you should do the KLX300 exhaust (header and muffler) and let us know how it turned out. That's how we all learn here. I bought a full system (because I can afford to) but I honestly think that for the type of riding I do, a stock (or opened up) KLX300 system would have been more than sufficient for my needs, and much more cost effective. Did I really need a $400 exhaust? I'm also planning on installing a bigger bore. Do I need it? No, I want it. Will it be a waste of money? Almost certainly. It's my money, and it's my motorcycle, I figure I can try whatever interests me. The best thing is that whatever works and whatever doesn't, generally ends up on this forum. Not everything discussed (or argued) here will turn out the same for everyone. Please let us know how all of your experiments turn out.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RU2112SH

I have a feeling I'll just drill out the stock can untill I have the money for a system. Thinking the 300 exhaust was plug and play I could get an exhaust on the cheap. I just put a 49T on the back and want to jet this bike already, but wanted to do everything in one shot. I'll most likely just pull off the airbox lid drill the stock exhaust jet it and ride.
Buy the KLX300 header and this jardine for $.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-J...89937701QQrdZ1

Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

How bout we all just try to answer the original poster's question and stop the pissing match.......shall we? There are no experiments with the stock header, myself and several others on the board are running oem 300 gear, and there is a performance gain, and dollar for dollar most of us spent $50 or less to get almost as much HP gain as anyone who spent $400+ for a full system. No we didnt get fancy ceramic plating or stickers, no we didn't lose a ton of weight with an aluminum can, no its not as sexy as a sleek aftermarket pipe, but guess what for the 1-1.5 hp difference (if that) we still have an extra $350 in our pockets. The sole intention was to add some oomph to this bike to make it more suit our needs, in the end we've all done exactly that regardless of the route taken. I'd say I took a right turn, others well they took 3 lefts but we're still at the same point.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Staintune doesn't reguire repacking. That's one of the selling points. They use stainless steel wool, so it doesn't break down. I almost bought one, but they're a bit too noisy.

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

One advantage the 300 has over most other pipes (staintune excluded) is that there is no packing to replace............ever. It's all mechanical baffles with a built in spark arrestor. Yes it is heavier than an aftermarket but honestly 2-3 lbs isn't much on a 290lb bike. In an older atv magazine I had, on an atv such as a Yamaha Warrior or equivalent size losing 10lbs was roughly equivalent to 1hp gain as far as performance goes.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Iowaguy,

Why do you always have to be such a dick? I'm sure you don't have to be, you just choose to be. The KLX250S is a Dual Sport. It was never meant to win any MX races. If I ever decide I need to "smoke anyone's *** off", I'll buy a RACE bike. You have the wrong bike and you're on the wrong forum. I would love to hear any comments from you on mods you have tried, and your opinions on the results. I don't care what you have read or what you believe to be gospel. I read the article that you somehow believe makes the KLX300 header crap. I think that for many applications on a KLX250S, it would be a great improvement over the stock header, especially with a little grinding on the weld. Of course, that's only an opinion. I do not have any advanced degrees in exhaust flow or header design, so I won't try to make a believer out of you.

Please don't change. I always get a good laugh from your dickwad comments!