Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Default Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

Sup again guys, I feel like a noob asking all these new questions. I used to use my neighbors wide Lawnmower ramp when loading and unloading my bike which was really wide. Well I'm sick of constantly asking him for it as I am sure he is too. I was in the market to get a ramp and I don't feel like spending too much so I see one of those thin ramps is the cheapest options. How in the hell are we supposed to load a motorcycle with that thing? Seems way to skinny to do it with just one person. Once we have it halfway on the truck how do we get it the rest of the way? Seems like there is too much risk of dropping the bike with one of these things. Let me know how you guys do it. I might go ahead and get one of those wide ATV ramps so that I can walk up with my bike as I'm loading it, seems the easiest.

I also saw a trailer built specifically for motorcycles, looks really nice, I think it holds about 3 motos. Probably expensive as hell though.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

http://www.truckstuffusa.com/loading...yhighland.html

I just bought two top brackets to bolt onto a 2X10 two ramps cost me 40$ Ya push the bike up one ramp and walk up the other... works great. I didnt wanna spend an arm and leg too... i got the brackets at an ace hardware store and 2-2x10's at lowes.

Name:  fun121.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  65.8 KB

Old 01-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Do you leave the bike on and slowly apply gas while you go up the ramp, or do you just muscle it the whole way up?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Easy-greasy.Park yer truck on a slight slope with slope running up towards back of truck; that is, rear wheelsof truck are higher than front wheels. Place a milk crate (or step stool) on the left rear side of your truck tailgate so that you can step onto tailgate easily. Place ramp in middle of tailgate and secure.Push bike up onto tailgate via ramp so that front wheel rests on tailgate.USE FRONT BRAKE TO STOPFRONT WHEEL ON TAILGATE. Step up ontomilkcrate. Push some more so bike goes a bit furtherinto truck; stop bike via brake again. Step uponto tailgate and push her on in, lower kickstand, and secure.

Unloading is the same; use front brake to slowly lower her downeach transition: tailgate, milk crate, ground.

Have someone assist you first time so that you can get a feel for how to do it. I've done it a hundred times now and never dropped it (knock wood).

Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i started out pushing it, but if your carful you can leave it on and in first gear and just let the clutch out a little bit and it goes up all on its own... but ya gotta be careful. I have done it both ways.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tennisman

Easy-greasy.Park yer truck on a slight slope with slope running up towards back of truck; that is, rear wheelsof truck are higher than front wheels. Place a milk crate (or step stool) on the left rear side of your truck tailgate so that you can step onto tailgate easily. Place ramp in middle of tailgate and secure.Push bike up onto tailgate via ramp so that front wheel rests on tailgate.USE FRONT BRAKE TO STOPFRONT WHEEL ON TAILGATE. Step up ontomilkcrate. Push some more so bike goes a bit furtherinto truck; stop bike via brake again. Step uponto tailgate and push her on in, lower kickstand, and secure.

Unloading is the same; use front brake to slowly lower her downeach transition: tailgate, milk crate, ground.

Have someone assist you first time so that you can get a feel for how to do it. I've done it a hundred times now and never dropped it (knock wood).
Its hell of a lot easier walking up one while the bike goes up the other.....imo......

Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM

Yer right!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im always right...... lol....j./k

Ask chris (cwgoff) about me bein right about his clip for his needle on his carb...... hehe

Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Damn, I remember that I had a hell of a time pushing the bike up the lawnmower ramp since it was so steep, it was probably because that ramp was really short, so really steep. But I had a lot more grip on that lawnmower ramp then I would with this single ramp. The bike isn't so light going up a steep ramp.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My ramps are 8' long..... its not too too bad pushing it.. but i use the motor to do the work now....

Quick Reply: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?