Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

Just but 2 ramps, 1 for the bike and1 to walk up on next to the bike. I have been loading my bike on trailers or the back of pickups for some time, she was 400 lbs and it was a breeze to load.

The KLX would of course even be easier. Just remember to secure your ramps so they do not accidental move or drop on you while loading. It will not be good.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

What do you have the rear hooks attached to on the bike Deej?
Do you mean what do I hook the back of the bike to? Well actually you don't really need to tie down the back of the bike, the tie downs I have (matching green of course) just hook on each side of the handlebars, and the bike will not really move anywhere. But maybe for a longer trip or if I'm hauling 2 or 3 bikes, or if you are going to be on a really rough road to get somewhere then I will run the quick ties back from the rack on the bike to the hooks near the tail gate. You'll be surprised though how rigid the bike is with only the two up front. Most guys only use that method of hauling.

Here is a picture of when I first got the bike. See how its tied in? That was before I got the Bed Buddy.
Name:  DSCN0013.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  83.3 KB

And if I'm going to have the bike in for any amount of time in traveling I will use my trusty home made (because I'm too cheap to buy the $20.00 plastic version) fork seal saver. A heavy rough cut 2 X 6 and a little shaping and you in business.
Name:  100_4941small.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  76.7 KB

And no I'm not hunting Vampires as someone once asked

Off topic: Random picture......Remember this sign? I saved it and printed it out and hung it in the garage. I forgot who made it but thanks.
Name:  Highway-Sign-Deej.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  117.8 KB

Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Just but 2 ramps, 1 for the bike and1 to walk up on next to the bike. I have been loading my bike on trailers or the back of pickups for some time, she was 400 lbs and it was a breeze to load.

The KLX would of course even be easier. Just remember to secure your ramps so they do not accidental move or drop on you while loading. It will not be good.
Excellent point, thanks for reminding us, If the rampsdidn't come with them you can buy a small quick release strap, then just run it from the ramp about 3/4 of the way up to the hitch, bumper or the trailer chain holes on the receiver of your truck. Having a bike fall half way upwould not be good indeed. Mine came with two quick release straps already on the ramp. When I got the trifold ramp I asked my awesome parts guy to show me how to use it. He rides and races, so he was a good person to ask since I was, am still a noob.The first thing he showed me was to secure it to the truck. A ramp can shoot off the tailgate in a heartbeat, especially if you are using the motor to help you load it up. Thanks again Notstock for reminding all of us about that.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

or you can try this
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei...Bmotorcycle%2B

Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Ahahah, I thought that it was going to be the one of the guy actually trying to load his bike into his pick up. He gave it too much gas and launched the bike into the truck and broke his rear window in the Pickup. This one was funny as hell.

One time I was taking my bike off of the truck and didn't secure the ramp. I put on the brakes and luckily my front tire was off the ramp. The ramp slipped off and the front end of the bike slapped down onto the ground, but the suspension absorbed the impact pretty good.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

HAHA... i havent secured the ramp, but the wood will dig into asphalt or the dirt, one time after i put the 606's on, i gave it a little too much gas, and spun the back tire the whole way up the ramp,,, now there is a black streak down my one ramp....

Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

I do it exactly as Lance described except I don't go to the trouble of parking down hill. That would make it much easier, but I typically just load up in my driveway and there is not a hill handy.

I did drop my bike once when I first started using my ramp (just a little scratch on my brush guards), but I quickly learned the technique. Since then I have loaded it a bunch of times solo with no event.

To Eric's point, 2 ramps is a lot easier. I like my single ramp only because it folds in half so it does not protrude beyond the tailgate once everything is loaded. Ideally I would have two folding ramps, but I have other uses for the $65 so so that another ramp would cost me.
Im surprised you didnt say anything about dropping your clip for your needle...... lol

Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I use. I bought it when I bought my bike. I had it included in the price so they gave me a deal plus my frat bro worked at the dealer. Anyway, I can ride the bike in my truck fine using this. I have a small 2wd toyota though and the thing is low to the ground.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

HAHA... i haven't secured the ramp, but the wood will dig into asphalt or the dirt, one time after i put the 606's on, i gave it a little too much gas, and spun the back tire the whole way up the ramp,,, now there is a black streak down my one ramp....
I always run a strap from my hitch over the ramps, back down to the hitch and ratchet tight to keep the ramps in place. I have walked her 400 lbs up into trucks with 4' lift effortlessly.

I think it makes it easier to know that the ramps are not going anywhere.

I have seen some poor fool at the track have his ram slip off and down goes the bike [&o]

Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

when I first got my bike, the owner of the dealer loaded in my truck. when I got to the mountains to unload the truck I didn't know how to do it right. I started backing it off the truck but the kick stand was down. It got caught and pushed the bike toward me. This caused the bike to fall off the truck on top of me. Has anyone else crashed a new bike before they had even ridden it?

Quick Reply: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?