Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?

My ramp is 8' long and I always ride my bike into the truck. I know, I know, everyone is going to tell me how dangerous that is. But I look at the ramp and think, " I ride on narrow trails, and climb steeper hills than that ...... I can do this". It really is no trick, its just getting your mind right.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea ill pass on riding it up.... lol... thats why i have two.... crazy bastard.....

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

.... crazy bastard.....
Hey, I resemble that remark!!!![sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When I first bought the bike, the guy at the bike shop talked me into a narrow 7 inch folding ramp. I have to tell you the only nice thing about it was that it would fold up and fit behind the seat and that's it. I called after trying to use it and asked if he would give me a credit toward a different ramp and he said no problem. The way you use a narrow ramp is you have to get a milk crate or make a step so as the bike is getting pushed up the ramp, you take a step next to it and then you step on the tail gate and continue into the bed. NO THANKS!! I picked up one of the tri-fold ramps, and I have to tell you even though I don't need to load my bike very often, with this new full width ramp, it is a dream to load the bike now. I put the bike in 1st gear, and get a 10-15 ft run at it, and just feather the bike right up the ramp and into the bed of the truck. However recently I have tried a new aproach. In 1st gear, front tire touching the ramp you can feather it right into the truck without even getting off the bike, but I don't recommend it if you are new to riding or feel that you might end up not being able to stop.

Here's the ramp I got, it folds to 17 inches wide, and hey if I decide to get a quad someday I'm all set. But seriously it makes loading a bike soooooo easy.

I also bought one of these bed buddy systems for two reasons, one to keep the front bed rail from turning into an arch, and so that when I do haul 1-2-or 3 bikes they all have tie downs. Let me tell you the thing is worth its weight in silver. Gold would be exaggerating a bit.

http://ccrsport.com/index.html

Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM

Ya my neighbor had something like what you posted Deej. It wasn't as wide though. I guess you could call it a bi-fold. Whenever you take it out do you ever worry about someone stealing it from the back of your truck? Obviously that can't fit behind your seat.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM

I do it exactly as Lance described except I don't go to the trouble of parking down hill. That would make it much easier, but I typically just load up in my driveway and there is not a hill handy.

I did drop my bike once when I first started using my ramp (just a little scratch on my brush guards), but I quickly learned the technique. Since then I have loaded it a bunch of times solo with no event.

To Eric's point, 2 ramps is a lot easier. I like my single ramp only because it folds in half so it does not protrude beyond the tailgate once everything is loaded. Ideally I would have two folding ramps, but I have other uses for the $65 so so that another ramp would cost me.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM

This is what I have.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90018

I bought it on sale for $60. I just put the bike in gear and walk right up with it. When I leave it in the truck I just chain it to my gas can then to the truck.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

I do it exactly as Lance described except I don't go to the trouble of parking down hill. That would make it much easier, but I typically just load up in my driveway and there is not a hill handy.

I did drop my bike once when I first started using my ramp (just a little scratch on my brush guards), but I quickly learned the technique. Since then I have loaded it a bunch of times solo with no event.

To Eric's point, 2 ramps is a lot easier. I like my single ramp only because it folds in half so it does not protrude beyond the tailgate once everything is loaded. Ideally I would have two folding ramps, but I have other uses for the $65 so so that another ramp would cost me.
Well if you had a real truck then the ramp would fit in the bed with no problem. Of course I'm only kidding, but here is a picture anyway. hehehehe (deej the trouble maker)[8D]

Name:  100_5359.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  130.7 KB

Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM

What do you have the rear hooks attached to on the bike Deej?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Ya my neighbor had something like what you posted Deej. It wasn't as wide though. I guess you could call it a bi-fold. Whenever you take it out do you ever worry about someone stealing it from the back of your truck? Obviously that can't fit behind your seat.
I just realized that I posted the wrong picture, my ramp is a tri-fold, but the center section only has 4 ribs, so you actually have to run the bike up on the right side while you lean it a little toward you as you walk up the left ramp. But its all good. As far as stealing I bought a couple of these for when the truck sits while I'm riding, if I had to truck it. You can run them through the gas cans, the ramp and right into the Bed buddy, oh yea I forgot the Bed Buddy has 3 tie down loops, and they are great for locking stuff into the bed of the truck.

Quick Reply: Loading KLX into a pickup w/ single ramp?