KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the seat BLOWS. I know its a dirt bike, and it is what it is.
I have about 1800 miles on my 07, and it hasnt gotten any better.
I willtake it apart this winter and re-pad it, who knows if it will help,but I will try

Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The seat dosnt bother me on my 09,,,

Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 AM
eas
1st Gear Member
Default Whiners

Yha wanna try a seat like a 2x4, try riding a CRF250X or Husky TE250. Those will definitely give you a case of monkeybutt. My '07 KLX250S has an excellent seat, the foam is perfect. Things that help: get rid of the seat strap, wear bicycler's shorts under your mx pants dust them with GoldBond or MonkeyButt powder if you're feeling girlie, wear a kidney belt, and most importantly - get the suspension dialed in. The only time I'm riding on the road is when I'm laying out a dual sport ride with the club guys or riding in a dual sport event; that's only enough road time to get from one trail section to the next. Our spring ride, the Hanging Rock 200 had about 120 mi. on day one and about 80 mi. on day two. Approx. 50% was single track trail on private lands. At 58, there's only so much time I can stay up on the pegs: the seat on the KLX provides a welcome rest. I'm just saying...

Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eas
Yha wanna try a seat like a 2x4, try riding a CRF250X or Husky TE250. Those will definitely give you a case of monkeybutt. My '07 KLX250S has an excellent seat, the foam is perfect. Things that help: get rid of the seat strap, wear bicycler's shorts under your mx pants dust them with GoldBond or MonkeyButt powder if you're feeling girlie, wear a kidney belt, and most importantly - get the suspension dialed in. The only time I'm riding on the road is when I'm laying out a dual sport ride with the club guys or riding in a dual sport event; that's only enough road time to get from one trail section to the next. Our spring ride, the Hanging Rock 200 had about 120 mi. on day one and about 80 mi. on day two. Approx. 50% was single track trail on private lands. At 58, there's only so much time I can stay up on the pegs: the seat on the KLX provides a welcome rest. I'm just saying...
Um...OK, yeah, 'perfect' foam. I'm glad I didn't have to compare the stock seat with a pure moto-crosser to make myself believe my azz was in nirvana. It's kind like saying you used to walk five miles to work in your bare feet and now you've made enough money for some cheap sandals.

The first time I rode any distance on pavement with the stock seat, I thought it sucked...that also goes for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time.

If you have to wear bicycle shorts and toss powder up your wazoo to be comfortable, that appears pretty comdemning for the stock unit. Get a Renazco..you wont have to go through that ritual anymore.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When I need a extra padded seat is the time when I grow 1' taller.

Stock is fine. Calouses rock

pic - Long Beach Motorcycle Exhibition 12/8/07 first klx250s legal in Kalifornia

Last edited by RaceGass; 10-10-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the additional information and suggestions guys. The ride sunday went well (169 miles), but I had to take a break every 30 to 40 miles to get off that seat. I did find sitting lower (more forward) on the seat was a bit more comfortable on the rear, but on the blacktop I find sitting further back at 50 to 60 MPH a more stable (and comfortable) ride.

I just downloaded all the parts diagrams for this bike to my computer so I can see how things go together better. The owners manual that comes with the bike is fine too but my eyes aren't what they used to be for reading that tiny print. I will probably scan the entire book into my computer so I can read the pages at bigger size on my screen at big size (and/or print pages at bigger size as needed). I was hoping Kawasaki had the owners manual online in PDF format but the don't

Anyway, I now see how the seat comes off and I will take the strap off. I think that will help a lot. Second, I see the rear spring is tightened down to its tightest setting. I want to back off the adjustment rings half way to see if that gives a smoother rider for my body weight. Anyone know where I can get a wrench to adjust those rings with? I looked around online and can't seem to find one for Kawasaki's.

Then I will play with the Compression and Rebound Dampening settings too...wanted to understand how this worked before playing with it. Probably pick up a pair of biker shorts too...

Then, if I am still not happy, I'll consider adding a pad to the seat or a Renazco. First thing I need to do is to find that spring adjustment tool

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 PM
eas
1st Gear Member
Default Uncomfortable Seat/Rear Suspension

There's lots of info out there for adjusting the rear suspension. Check out http://www.klxforum.suncup.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76. I don't use any special tool to adjust the shock spring collar, just a large screwdriver and a hammer. Unload the rear suspension by lifting the bike under the frame to get the wheels off the ground. Whack on the locking collar to loosen it then spin up up about 1/4". Whack on the spring collar to get it where you want it then spin the locking collar down and give it a whack to lock it in place. If you don't want to use a large screwdriver, use a brass drift.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I put around 500 miles on mine in like 2 days......

No problem...A tad sore....I had my rear rebound set stock at 13 outta 23 up....Then for kicks I pushed it up to 18/23 to getta feel....Notta chance...Sore as heck within 5 miles...For those with butts anything under 14 is probably cool...Those without butts....Im guess 10 and lower....Try it out for kicks...