KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!

Just picked up my '09 KLX 250S Tuesday. But what's up with that "seat"?? It's much narrower than even my tiny butt. Man, you sit on that for an hour cruise'n the back roads and your rear end and lower back bone hurts!! Any one else not happy with the "seat" [piece of stiff hard foam]? What'd you do to try and fix it? I am look at gel pads but they are like $70 bucks. How much could a new more comfortable seat cost?

I love the bike.....but what the heck was Kawasaki thinking with that "seat"? I can't ride this bike the way it is....

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

if you trail ride it, atleast you wont have to worry about sitting down!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

An hour? LOL 30 minutes and monkey butt starts to set in. Learn to stand up as much as you can. Sorry we aren't laughing at you but rather with you, actually I'm usually almost in tears by the time I get home after a long ride.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, my tail bone gets it bad.....this isn't a seat, it's a torture device. What the heck were they thinking? The stock seat DOES look good on the bike. But after just a couple days of using it I am searching all over the net for relief. I can't ride this KLX with this seat....maybe one of those gel pads would help? Just trying to see who makes a good one that will fit on there good.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Uncle Chop Chop perscribes a big fat cup of
'Harden the F#@& up!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Old 07-26-2008, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Uncle Chop Chop can use a toilet seat on his bike for all I care. All I know is I could ride my '74 KS125 all day on the trails and not have the pain I get from riding this '09 KLX less than an hour on the ROAD. If you watch the video on this bike on the Kawasaki web site Russ Brennan (PR Supervisor), who gives a nice introduction of the bike, says they made the seat with a "flat firmer density foam" this year. "Firmer"? Yea, understatement of the year. They make it any "firmer" and they can use a rock.

Maybe I'll just duct tape a pillow to my ***.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear biking shorts with the gel pad on the **** under my pants for long rides. Seems to help as I've never really had an issue.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile Seat Is Uncomfortable!

Originally Posted by deej
An hour? LOL 30 minutes and monkey butt starts to set in. Learn to stand up as much as you can. Sorry we aren't laughing at you but rather with you, actually I'm usually almost in tears by the time I get home after a long ride.
Hey Deej,

So you say that your bike is uncomfortable after only about a half hour ride?

My KLX is a 2007 model and I find the seat to be very comfortable for my kind of riding. Mostly trails, I admit, but I've had a fair bit of saddle time on the blacktop in Death Valley, CA and up into Beatty & Pahrump, NV. These are pretty good blacktop rides. I've not had any complaints from my "DERRY AIRE". Do you suppose that there was a different seat cushion put into the '07's?

1.) We'll probably get some comments from the '07 crowd. If they have favorable comments, as I am making, perhaps the solution for the uncomfortable owners would be to get the seat padding materials from the '07 model.

2.) At a point in the past, I helped a friend re-upholster a seat on a Yamaha XT225. We used the chopped foam material that they use under household carpeting. We glued them in layers, using contact cement spray. Then shaped it with an electric knife to the shape that we wanted. My friend is still riding on our modified seat. .... Just an idea for the originator of this thread.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Here's a few pics of the mod that I did with a gel pad and some good memory foam.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KawiWawi/20070502SeatMod

The pics are broken in the original thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11785

Old 07-26-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

my advice.. ride it.. the fun factor overcame the pain the first 10000 miles i had mine and by that point my *** was hardened up. but really in the end.. this is a dirtbike not a "cruiser" if your lookin for long highway rides you bought the wrong bike.

Quick Reply: KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!