KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got 5K miles on my ride and the seat leaves a lot to be desired. The freakin' footpeg on the left side is pretty close to the frame so, standing is more of a challenge then it needs to be too!

I'm looking to redo my seat. Renzaco (sp?) gets high marks but, they cost ~$400. I'm thinking I might give it a go myself and redo the seat. If I mess it up too bad, the worst thing I'm out is postage and $400 to have it professionally done.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/cata...kiorderpg.html

It looks like Guts Racing might get some of my money.

Should I get the tall or stock height? Is the $65 competition all black the best seat cover to get?

THANKS!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 07-27-2008, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

AllieCat, thanks for the suggestions and links. Yes, I think I will take off my seat strap too. After you mentioned that I recalled seeing that idea somewhere else to.

Pete, I already have 214 miles on the bike. Going on a long ride tomorrow with two buddies who want to do a longer ride. One has a GoldWing, one has a Suzuki C90 (1500cc)...we'll see how I feel tomorrow Just for a quick-fix for tomorrow I may try using a small towal for some padding.

I need to get that seat off to get the strap off and see how to attach some kind of pad. I will also try playing with the rear suspension too. I am curious it that can be tweaked to improve the ride (I am about 185 lbs).

Then I'd like to find a nice small rack and small bag to replace the tool kit bag....

Jeff

Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Sid, if you get one of those covers from gutsracing please let us know how it is...

Old 07-27-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

strange, i just ordered the firm seat foam and cover from guts racing last week because i found the seat on the 07 to be too soft. i guess i'm used to mtb saddles also. i ordered the stock height. will install and report this week. on that note, anyone who's installed a seat cover before, will an electric stapler from home depot or lowes work? that's what i've been looking at.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffNY
AllieCat, thanks for the suggestions and links. Yes, I think I will take off my seat strap too. After you mentioned that I recalled seeing that idea somewhere else to.

Pete, I already have 214 miles on the bike. Going on a long ride tomorrow with two buddies who want to do a longer ride. One has a GoldWing, one has a Suzuki C90 (1500cc)...we'll see how I feel tomorrow Just for a quick-fix for tomorrow I may try using a small towal for some padding.

I need to get that seat off to get the strap off and see how to attach some kind of pad. I will also try playing with the rear suspension too. I am curious it that can be tweaked to improve the ride (I am about 185 lbs).

Then I'd like to find a nice small rack and small bag to replace the tool kit bag....

Jeff
Jeff,

You might want to try rolling the towl up on each end and positioning the rolled ends on either side of the saddle, effectively widening the seat to provide more support from you legs. I saw something similar that had very good reviews. It was actually a peice of grippy fabric sewed into loops at each end. Water bottles were stuffed in the the loops and you could control how hard the water bottles were by squeezing some of the air out of them.

There's actually a company that sells what I'm talking about, but I can't remember the name.

I had Renazco rework my seat and feel it's one of the best mods I ever made to this bike, but not everybody is willing to pay 300+ for a seat.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's not so much the hardness or softness, but rather the shape. I can ride all day long off-road without any trouble at all on the stock seat, or even worse, the KTM stock seat which is like a slab of slate. The KLX seat is like a soft lazyboy by comparison. At least '06/'07, not sure about the '09. By contrast though, it doesn't take too long on the pavement before I'm shifting around to find a more comfortable position. It is probably because you are planted on the seat all the time on the road, vs a lot of standing on the pegs and the constant movement while riding off-road.

The Renazco built seat is much more firm than the KLX stock seat. But it is shaped differently and has better support so it is more comfortable over longer road miles.

Tremor, I think that thing you were talking about is called Sweet Cheeks. Here is a thread from over at TT with contact information and some photos:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=655418

Not something that would appeal too much to me, but some folks seem to like them so it probably works OK.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

I dont know......When i first got my 09' it seemed a little narrow. I cant say stiff because to me it actually felt alot more soft coming from a cbr600rr track bike with a quarter inch thick seat.

So im really enjoying this seat i have now

I found that when i plop my bottom kinda nice and fast/hard into that sweet spot.Then just keep my weight on it and sink right into the seat.

-ry

Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid
It looks like Guts Racing might get some of my money.

Should I get the tall or stock height? Is the $65 competition all black the best seat cover to get?

THANKS!
Seats are all personal opinion, but I'll give you mine. I bought the tall seat from Guts with the Black cover. I chose their firm or hard seat and like it very much. I read on another site that their medium foam is a little stiffer than the stock. I'm not sure if the 09 foam is different from the 06-07 foam....I thought the 06 foam was a little soft for my likes.

Btw the guts high seat foam does weigh a little more than the stock foam.

Quick Reply: KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!