KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

KawiWai, nice job on the seat, thanks for posting pics....

jsac >> this is a dirtbike not a "cruiser" if your lookin for long highway rides you bought the wrong bike.<<

You have no idea why I picked this bike or what I use it for. But to your point, I am not "highway cruising" on "long highways". But the seat on the '09 KLX SUCKS, on the "highway" OR "trail". Unless you want to stand up all the time, which I don't. But you enjoy the pain...just because its a dual-purpose does not mean it HAS to have a hard uncomfortable seat.

Last edited by JeffNY; 07-26-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Uncle Chop Chop perscribes a big fat cup of
'Harden the F#@& up!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Thanks for the laugh this morning, that was funny as hell!

Mike

Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffNY
KawiWai, nice job on the seat, thanks for posting pics....

jsac >> this is a dirtbike not a "cruiser" if your lookin for long highway rides you bought the wrong bike.<<

You have no idea why I picked this bike or what I use it for. But to your point, I am not "highway cruising" on "long highways". But the seat on the '09 KLX SUCKS, on the "highway" OR "trail". Unless you want to stand up all the time, which I don't. But you enjoy the pain...just because its a dual-purpose does not mean it HAS to have a hard uncomfortable seat.

i have yet to see a dual sport in this cc class that has a seat that can be ridden for hours without discomfort ;p

Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i guess im used to riding mountain bikes... those seats hurt after a little while.... the klx isnt bad at all... go sit on any other dirt bike.... pretty much the same thing

Old 07-26-2008, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I was in the seat for 6 hours straight yesterday. Three words for long rides: good bicycle shorts. That made all the difference for me.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Under your pants of course!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

>>i have yet to see a dual sport in this cc class that has a seat that can be ridden for hours without discomfort ;p<<

I agree, if you are going for long 4 hours road rides there is nothing like a wide "saddle" seat on a cruiser. But if I just want to take off for a short ride on some of the back roads and dirt roads around here it should not be this bad. I will try some different thing to "midigate"...maybe a towal or gel pad on the seat. I will look into the bike pants mentioned above too. On my Sears lawn mower (14 years old with a wide but kinda hard seat with very little padding) I used a small piece of carpet folded over onto itself. That made all the difference in the world.

I admit, I don't have a big cushy "rear end" on me....but this KLX seat is beyond "firm"

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Boy are you right about the seat being like riding a piece of plywood. I bought an 07 KLX last weekend to ride with my hubby who has a KLR650. Mostly on road, but the 650 is just too big for me. We've got a trip coming up the middle of Sept so we've been riding a lot to get past the breakin period.

After the first ride, I took off the seat strap. That made a huge difference for the next day. Today, I borrowed his sheep skin butt pad. We could both tell a huge difference. It not only gives you some cushion, but helps keep the heat down too. The butt pad came from Alaska Leather. The full dual sport pad is the perfect length for my bike. It's a little wider, but I'm trying to figure out a way to sew the ends of the seat strap and bolt it to the underside of the seat to secure it in the middle.

The other mod we made was to have the foam replaced. Check out www.greatdaytoride.com. Spencer was great and had the seat back in the mail to us as promised.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

You know, I had the same problem. I was thinking, "Damn, did I make a mistake buying this on/off road bike?". Well, like these others have posted, your butt will get used to it the more you ride it. I have no problem with it now that my butt has been trained by my KLX. I'm totally serious about this. I have no problem with it now. I've only got a bit over 300 miles so far.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

8500 miles of sittin on the klx.... and i can go all day......

Quick Reply: KLX Seat Stiff As A Board!