Kickstarter Install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Really nice job! FYI you can use an old steel plate and clutch plate bolted together to fabricate a holding tool. I have done this on several bikes in the past. If you replace the clutch, save some of the old plates.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh sure, now Ya'll post methods to yank the clutch without removing the left side cover ..... where was all this wisdom back in 06

Actually, just a while back I had to remove the clutch and just popped it off with an impact wrench......funny how my careful approach to working on the klx has evolved to just hitting it with a 1/2" impact....

Good info on the 09 install, ....... just an idea, if you have to replace the footpeg, what about getting a nice after market set that is bigger and better.... the stockers kinda suck, imho.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM

hey I was wondering when you put the kickstart on can u use both the kickstart and the electric start or just one. Also did you use the service manual for the install if so which ones did you use.

cheers mate

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default more kickstart info

I have an '06 and my kick start lever interferes with the foot peg. It's useable but will stick at full extension and scrapes the peg pretty good on the way down. Eyeballing it, it looks like a few stacked washers will pull the peg out far enough but to do that I have to take off the case cover and I'm feeling lazy.

So since it's for emergencies only I'll get 'a round tuit' one of these days. I also re-wired my lights so I can turn them off when I'm on the dirt. So that way I can preserve battery charge and hopefully need the kickstart even less often. Nice to have though.

Just put on a new set of D606's. They work surprisingly well on the road and seem pretty fair in sand. Mind you, my last tyre was a non-DOT knobby so that may explain why the 606 feels so good on the road.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Put a kickstarter kit in my 06 today. Thanks to this thread it took only about 4 hrs start to finish. It took longer to rejet the carb than put the kickstarter in. Found a few short cuts along the way. I was pretty disappointed in the way it starts with the kicker. Even warm it takes a healthy kick to get it lite.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol guy
Put a kickstarter kit in my 06 today. Thanks to this thread it took only about 4 hrs start to finish. It took longer to rejet the carb than put the kickstarter in. Found a few short cuts along the way. I was pretty disappointed in the way it starts with the kicker. Even warm it takes a healthy kick to get it lite.
This is also a BUMP for the recent thread about kick starters.

Unfortunately, the ACR timing on the 250S is the same as the KLX300R prior to the 'easy start' modification.

Brewster hangs out in this forum and in the Thumpertalk KLX/KLR forum. He's an expert a re-timing the ACR and usually does the work for the price of a sixer of good beer. Once the mod is done, the bike is MUCH easier to kick and usually starts on the first kick.

With your present ACR timing, I would limit the kicking to emergencies only since it puts undue pressure on the already design-flawed idler gear that you installed with the kick start kit. There's also the trick of turning it over slowly to find the 'sweet spot' prior to giving it a proper kick.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Tremor,

The design flaw in the idle gear was fixed years ago......but what is this acr mod? The current setup is a bitch to kick and start...my lc4 is easier.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Tremor,

The design flaw in the idle gear was fixed years ago......but what is this acr mod? The current setup is a bitch to kick and start...my lc4 is easier.
No more issues with the idler gear? I did not know that. That is one thing that has kept me from doing that kicker mod. I didnt want to spend $300 on a kickstarter that was going to potentially cause me trouble some day. I'll have to start saving.
Dan