I'm Worn Out - More on "Tour de Pisgah" to Follow

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Default I'm Worn Out - More on "Tour de Pisgah" to Follow

Well, let's see . . . I drove about 1200 miles this weekend to hang out in the mountains of western North Carolina with about 62 like-minded dualsport riders and ride, ride ride, stay up to all hours of the night carousing and reliving the grand moments of the day only to rise a few hours later and ride some more.

This old man is tired.

All I'll say at this time is the KLX250 gave the bigger bikes a run for their money! We got on some tight stuff and I was stuck in the back to keep me from running away and hiding on them. I coule have passed all 26 of the bikes in my group, but did not want to look like a show off. But the KLX250 is made for the kind of riding we were doing. Gravel roads don't need a lot of power, just handling, suspension and agility! The KLX has all of that and more.

I could set up for a corner, trail brake into it, and come out of a corner faster than the bigger bikes. It was fun intimidating the bigger bikes. When we got into the twisties, I could run corners faster than any of them - on the downside of the mountain that is. I couldn't run with them on the upside. H'mmm, how is that 330 kit coming Nobrakes?

We had a blast - y'all missed a fantastic event!

More to follow!

Old 10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm Worn Out - More on "Tour de Pisgah" to Follow

Sounded like a great time, Marty - I'm bummed I missed it.

I'm expecting parts this week for the big bore, at least that's what the shop said late last week. If they kept to their word I should have parts tomorrow, but we'll see. I haven't seen a shipping notification or tracking number yet.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

sounds like fun marty, i really got to test my klx over the weekend too... sounds like you had fun. maybe next year ill be able to make it down.....

Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM

As promised, here are some pictures I took while up at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.

BTW, both my KLX and another Floridian's KLX were in attendance. They drew more interest from those there then most of the othere bikes.

I figured I'd add some pictures from Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground!

Here's the sign that most of us rode right past.

Name:  campsign.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  145.9 KB

How would you like to live on this street?

Name:  bikedrive.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  111.2 KB

It seems that wherever you go, there's a troll around! But this one was "riding green" so we let him hang around!

Name:  pisgahtroll.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  190.3 KB

There was a big bridge that we all were asked to ride over into and out of camp. Why was it there?

Name:  brmccreek2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  190.0 KB
Name:  brmccreek.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  197.6 KB

Here's a couple of views from around camp.

Name:  campscene3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  191.7 KB
Name:  campchat.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  147.5 KB
Name:  campscene2.jpg
Size:  221.1 KB

Does camoflage work? Here's the "ThunderLizard" - you tell me!

Name:  thunderlizard.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  191.9 KB

Were the colors in full effect? I'm not sure, what do you think?

Name:  campview.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  217.8 KB
Name:  campview1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  193.7 KB

Remember the creek? Well, this is the bridge we rode over on the way in and the way out.

Name:  endofride.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  113.2 KB

After a day's ride, it's time to kick back, relax and talk about the ride!

Name:  endofday.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  134.2 KB

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm making reservations for next year in October! What a great rally!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that looks awsome... i love camping,,, and combining camping and biking!!!!! looks sweet... i will have to look into that.! awsome pics... how many people stayed at that campground?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great pics, Marty - thanks for posting them up!

Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice pictures Marty, I love the leaves when they change. Looks like a blast, and the little cabins are cool too. Did you have to share a room with anyone, or did you tent it?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM

I had one of the little cabins. If you look closely at the 10th picture, you will see the KLX250 sitting in front of the 5th cabin from the left. That is the cabin I stayed in.

The cabins were kind of neat - two beds, one on each side of the cabin, a heater since it got into the 30's both nights, a ceiling fan, some hooks for clothing, some shelves and a couple of chairs. Cost was $40 per night. I shared my cabin with another person - it was supposed to be Nobrakes, but he could not make it up - however the person that did share the cabin with me was very glad you did not make it Brian - it was quite cold out both nights I was there!

I do believe the official count was 62 bikes in our group. Looks like there was close to 100 folks at the campground.

Hopefully next year we will have the entire campground to ourselves.

In photo #11, the big building under the tree is "The Pavillion" where we all congregated. There were big tables and benches to sit on, they served breakfast there each day, fresh hot coffee - all you can drink for $1.00 Deej - nice hot meal - I had biscuits and gravy one day and pecan pancakes the next - both were outstanding.

When I come across the picture with all the bikes together, I'll post that too - it's awesome!

Here's the kind of roads we were riding - no wonder the KLX kicked butt!

Name:  switchback.jpg
Size:  220.7 KB

Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

What a great ride, Marty, and what a great Ride Report, too!

I'll bet if we voted on the different ride reports we've seen, yours would probably be in the Top 3! *

Mike

* Gives new meaning to the importance of the "3 Rs" ... instead of "Reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic", on this forum is means "Ride, Rider, and Report"!