I couldn't resist...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess I'll look for that KDX part number or do you guys know what year to ask for? I know I saw that P/N on here before but god knows which thread it was. Maybe I'll do some searching later when I'm not at work. I will say the bike fired right up this cold morning with no choke at all. Wasn't really cold blooded either which was great. Being that the air is cold I'm not sure how much that helped but the bike does feel a little better on the highway. The 50 bucks on a DJ kit was money well spent for sure.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is a good thread on the snorkel and the airbox in general. Notice Jeffwards dyno results.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...h-33787/page2/

Part number for snorkel =14073-1577

Snorkel is a straight swap, just pull the old one out and put the new one in. I didnt have to modify anything.
In reality, I couldnt feel much with a snorkel and foam air filter, but I havent modded my exhaust so that might be why.

Also if anyone dont want their FMF Q4 I might be interested in buying it if its in good condition

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 10-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll rock my Q4 for a week or two. If I have second thoughts I'll let you know if I want to sell it.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

On all the bikes I have installed a full exhaust, it is my opinion that the only thing you get is weight savings, better/louder sound, and a lighter wallet. An inexpensive jet kit, even with factory exhaust, seems to be the best bang for the buck. However, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, an aftermarket pipe sure looks good!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike was so lame in stock form that I was sick that I wasted my money on such a pos. First mod was the pipe, a powercore4 not a Q4 and the difference alone with just the pipe was really night and day, no it didn't add 10hp but it added some much needed pep to a bike that was totally lifeless. Next I did the filter and jets and really got lees from that than the pipe alone, I have no dyno numbers but I'd say stage 2 mods were worth 2-3 hp in my case as if it weren't I would have sold the wimpy bike as new it was bad. But you know over the years I added performance exhaust to cars, trucks, 4 wheelers, and bikes, hell RC planes for that matter and have had good results in nearly every situation so I don't agree that the pipe makes no difference and it has nothing to do with the noise.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums

Too bad they didn't just jet first and show those results.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR

Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums

Too bad they didn't just jet first and show those results.
I don't know, Scott...the fact that you should rejet to gain a performance benefit with an aftermarket exhaust is kind of telling in itself from what I can tell. Plus, there's a myriad of things that happen when you open the airbox a bit, put on a full exhaust system, and then jet with a better needle and such. Throttle response, power under load, and top end can all be improved without large gains shown on a dyno. This kind of stuff gives some a lot of heartburn when large dyno number increases aren't instantly observed. I have a 300 kit, full Muzzy exhaust, fully opened airbox, and a Mikuni 36 pumper carb. I doubt that my highest horsepower reading would be that huge...maybe around 24 max? However, the drivability, acceleration, top end speed, ease of pulling gnarly climbs, maintaining a good rpm in harsh conditions without having to constantly stir the shifter, and other subtle performance characteristics are definitely improved over stock.

On the issue of an aftermarket exhaust delivering no performance gain, I don't believe that is common...generally. However, you usually do have to match the exhaust to insuring the air intake is up to the task of matching the intake to the outgo...and...that jetting is optimal to those two elements.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

If I were you, I'd install the DJ kit as per the instructions for stage 2 using the #128 jet - pull the airbox lid off - and HANG ON !

Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

You know, I still don't FEEL anything. I know what you guys are saying though about doing the KDX snorkle too...I might just try it. As of right now its set up stage 2, 2 3/4 turns out and IIRC its the 128 jet. I know I did the bigger of the two jets suggested on the instructions and I decided that because most people on that chart seem to be running it as well. I will say on the freeway its a pinch better from 65 to 75-80ish but its been a lot cooler lately and that might have something to do with it also.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

you may be too rich with the 128 and the stock air box lid. Too rich and the bikes performance will suffer a bit.

Quick Reply: I couldn't resist...