How do you remove the rear shock???

Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

For anyone wanting the exact length of a D-Tracker KLX250SF rear spring!

Just had my Moto-pro 7.4kg/mm spring fitted....I am at least 105kg 230lbs & the weak original spring was wound to the max & was not stopping me wallow on the fast mountain corners!! BTW Different to the S linkage hence heavier spring for the SF D-Tracker.

While i was at Kawasaki having the new spring fitted....I had the mechanic fit new swingarm & all uni-trak linkage bearings/roller bearings & bushes coz it's so cheap here I thought why not at 11000miles. $70 for complete bearing set & $30 fitting charge!! Like new again

They gave me this test ride bike for the day while they did the job & holy crap it's a dog. Bog standard D-Tracker (with unrestricted clutch by-pass fitted). It struggles from 110km/h to get to it's top speed of 127km/h & takes ages to get there!! It's so bouncy & the forks dive like jelly & it has noooo power...To say my bike is night & day from this thing is an understatement!!!!!! A wheelie would be impossible without heavily dumping the clutch in 1st gear. lol

(to help searching for this thread) D-Tracker rear spring, KLX250SF rear spring, D-Tracker rear shock.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 03-29-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

A friend of mine just got this direct replacement YSS adjustable rear shock for this SF (D-Tracker), after his 5 year old stock KYB unit seized up last week. It looks well made & fitted perfectly. I will let you guys know his thoughts on the unit in a few weeks when it's been properly adjusted & had a few long rides on it!

It was 12,000thb or 400 bucks to buy!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Recently I opted to pull the shock out from the top which requires that the airbox be removed [out the left side]. It was a major PITA but the learning experience was worth it. All sorts of access to the bowels of the bike once the AB is removed. Also removed the backfire screen in the process.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Joel, any updates about the YSS suspension which your friend installed? Does it fit on a KLX 250S? im having problems with my rear suspension because the oil is leaking, im thinking of changing to that YSS rear shock if its good.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by janov7613
Hi Joel, any updates about the YSS suspension which your friend installed? Does it fit on a KLX 250S? im having problems with my rear suspension because the oil is leaking, im thinking of changing to that YSS rear shock if its good.
This shock was built specifically for the SF (D-Tracker) & will not fit the S model. You will have to ask YSS to make one for your S model, usually 2 weeks wait for an order.

The build quality was pretty good but I personally couldn't test the shock because it was built for a 175lbs rider & I weigh 230lbs!!! My friend likes the shock but the only problem on this particular shock was it only had rebound damping (about 20 clicks) but no compression damping!! The original shock does have rebound & compression clickers. I'm sure you could order a YSS shock with rebound & compression but this shock was ordered by someone else who never picked it up from Kawasaki, so it was quick & cheap to buy on the spot. He is happy with the shock btw but only does pretty gentle road riding!

I personally would send my old shock off to Racetech or Motopro & get it refurbished with gold valving, it would IMHO be a superior shock.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I agree with Joe on just fixing and improving the stock shock. The OEM shock is a very good KYB shock and worth keeping.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
This shock was built specifically for the SF (D-Tracker) & will not fit the S model. You will have to ask YSS to make one for your S model, usually 2 weeks wait for an order.

The build quality was pretty good but I personally couldn't test the shock because it was built for a 175lbs rider & I weigh 230lbs!!! My friend likes the shock but the only problem on this particular shock was it only had rebound damping (about 20 clicks) but no compression damping!! The original shock does have rebound & compression clickers. I'm sure you could order a YSS shock with rebound & compression but this shock was ordered by someone else who never picked it up from Kawasaki, so it was quick & cheap to buy on the spot. He is happy with the shock btw but only does pretty gentle road riding!

I personally would send my old shock off to Racetech or Motopro & get it refurbished with gold valving, it would IMHO be a superior shock.
Thanks for your feedback and advice. I went to the yss thai website and in the model search, i typed "klx 250" and there were couple of results that turned up, one is for '93-'98 models and another for '09> models. Im not sure if they have this as their standard models but there were also a couple of D Tracker models. The part number is MZ506-425TR-02 for the KLX.

I use the bike as my primary mode of transport, so having the current rear shock sent out and back will mean the bike will be idle for a while. The YSS shock sounds ideal for me, im not a harcore trail rider, i just use the bike for mostly moving around and traveling, which i would say 80% road. Since your friend is happy with the YSS he has on and im about 180lb, the YSS should be ideal for me. Will have to look for it in BKK though

Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by janov7613
Thanks for your feedback and advice. I went to the yss thai website and in the model search, i typed "klx 250" and there were couple of results that turned up, one is for '93-'98 models and another for '09> models. Im not sure if they have this as their standard models but there were also a couple of D Tracker models. The part number is MZ506-425TR-02 for the KLX.

I use the bike as my primary mode of transport, so having the current rear shock sent out and back will mean the bike will be idle for a while. The YSS shock sounds ideal for me, im not a harcore trail rider, i just use the bike for mostly moving around and traveling, which i would say 80% road. Since your friend is happy with the YSS he has on and im about 180lb, the YSS should be ideal for me. Will have to look for it in BKK though
YSS will not deal with you in person with ordering special order shocks. You need to find a bike shop in BKK that is a authorized dealer for YSS & they can order a bespoke shock for you.....example your weight & with compression & rebound function & spring color etc.

The klx250 S model & the D-tracker250 SF model are available but not on their website, like I said before they custom build these shocks to specific customer requirements!

I would call up (a fluent Thai to call) or go in person to shops below:

AP.Shop ของแต่งโดนๆ เพิ่มประสิทธิภาพและงาน
k_speed - k-speed
RED BARON BANGKOK : WELCOME

One of these guys will be a YSS dealer & can do the ordering for you!

Good luck