Heated Handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Heated Handgrips

+1 on having the foresight to strap the resistor out of harms way..it will get hot

Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

You guys need the Heat-troller http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_sae.php (I had this setup on the VStrom) It uses PWM (pulse width modulation) to regulate power to the grips. The HI/LOW switch uses a resistor, and is actually using full power on both settings. HI sends all the power to the grips, LO splits the power between the grips and the resistor. The PWM controller rapidly pulses power on and off (too fast for you to notice) and is infinitely variable via a rotary switch. On a lower setting the power pulses are short compared to the off time, on a higher setting the pulse is longer in relation to a brief off time.

Yeah, PWM is the way to go, but in my casethose controllers cost twice as much as my grips. I have no problem just leaving mine of high and opening my hands now and then.

Now if I had a heated vest, PWM would be a worthwhile investment. I've had my eyes on the Tour Master Synergy vest for while now. Only 4.5A of current draw in 'high' positionwhich is within the capability of the KLX250S charging system. Most people say the synergy has more than enough heat in 'LOW'.That's werea PWM controller would really come-in handy.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

wow they really work through heavy winter gloves???? i always figured they would never get hot enough to make your hands really all that warm. just thought it made people that didn't like to wear gloves comfortable... i want some!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

They make a BIG difference!

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

wow they really work through heavy winter gloves???? i always figured they would never get hot enough to make your hands really all that warm. just thought it made people that didn't like to wear gloves comfortable... i want some!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

You will feel them through heavy gloves, you just turn 'em up more. They're also really great on days when it ends up being colder than you thought it would be, or you end up being out later than you planned and don't have your warm gear with you. You get to feeling a little cool, just reach over and turn on the grips. Sweet!