Front Wheel Installation Sequence Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Wheel Installation Sequence Question

I recently noted that I have a little bounce in my 2009 KLX250s when I ride on the street and so I decided maybe a little wheel balance is in order. I did that and it didn't make much difference. However, when I was re-installing the front wheel, I found the sequence that was in my manual a little odd (much different than dirt bike sequence videos from place like RMATVMC). So I did a little searching and found a KLX205s maunal online for the Euro version of our bikes. The pictures were very similar, but the Sequence was completely different. I want to know from hopefully someone more experienced than me which is correct (or more correct)

US Sequence is first attachment. Euro Sequence is second attachment.

The Euro sequence is similar to that shown for a dirt bike. I certainly would appreciate thoughts on the topics.

Attached Thumbnails Front Wheel Installation Sequence Question-screen-shot-2017-10-09-7.36.09-pm.png   Front Wheel Installation Sequence Question-screen-shot-2017-10-09-7.37.13-pm.png  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Also for what its worth, the revision date for the two different manuals is within days of one another June, 2011. Also, I have a paper copy of the US version and its identical the e-copy attached.

I've looked at the two different methods few times now and I really can't see how the US version allows the forks to align since the right side pinch bolts are tight to the axle from the start. The Euro version is clear although not clear what hold the speedo gear tight to the wheel since that side is allowed to float until the right side pinch bolts are re-tightened. All that said, it shouldn't be too sloppy.

Last edited by Dezertdirt; 10-10-2017 at 03:54 AM. Reason: spelling error, added material
Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The first manual pages don't make sense when the "temporarily tighten"ed axle clamp is "all on" to seat when bouncing the front wheel. That explanation is a total cluster. No mechanic would follow that sequence since it makes no sense in the book, much less in reality. I think they wanted to tighten the clamp to hold the axle while tightening the nut, thus the "temporarily tighten" line. I think it hit the presses before proofreading.

Last edited by klx678; 10-10-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

There is one clear typo in the US manual: "Pump the front fork up and down (A) 4 or 5 times to all on the right front fork to seat on the front axle" should read "Pump the front fork up and down (A) 4 or 5 times to allow the right front fork to seat on the front axle". With that correction the sentence makes sense, but the sequence is still whacked. Its odd that the Euro/Thai version of the same document appears to get it right (or at least I think so). I'm still interested in hearing if anyone uses the scheme that's in the US KLX250s Service Manual. FWIW, I think this manual is the same for all KLX250s 2009-2014.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

No one with any mechanical sense will do it. Mechanical sense tells me the axle pulls the speedo drive, hub, and spacer up against the left leg and should be torqued if one does that. The left clamp is torqued to clamp the axle. Then the forks are pumped a few times to allow the right clamp to get into position, then the right clamp is torqued. It just makes mechanical sense. That manual was not written properly and proofread for factual information and clearly with that typo, not for spelling either.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by klx678
No one with any mechanical sense will do it. Mechanical sense tells me the axle pulls the speedo drive, hub, and spacer up against the left leg and should be torqued if one does that. The left clamp is torqued to clamp the axle. Then the forks are pumped a few times to allow the right clamp to get into position, then the right clamp is torqued. It just makes mechanical sense. That manual was not written properly and proofread for factual information and clearly with that typo, not for spelling either.
I have a 2009 KLX250sf and just installed my front wheel with using the US service manual and I thought it read terrible and I am glad I found this forum!

So my question, just so I understand clearly, should I first torque down the left axle clamp, then the axle, then pump the forks 4-5 times and then torque the right side? Also, I do this while I have it upright on a lift or dirt bike stand, so that way it is not leaning on the kickstand?

Sorry, I am just getting my feet wet with this stuff but want to learn!

Old 11-24-2019, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

You tighten the axle nut on the left fork to spec. That secures the wheel assm to the left fork-you now need to allow the right fork to find its free-rest position by pumping the forks a few times. Now you can tighten the pinch bolts on the rt leg and you're done.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
You tighten the axle nut on the left fork to spec. That secures the wheel assm to the left fork-you now need to allow the right fork to find its free-rest position by pumping the forks a few times. Now you can tighten the pinch bolts on the rt leg and you're done.
At what point do I torque the axle? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 11-25-2019, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

You should tighten it to spec. That's the first step.
The torque clamping force only secures the axle/hub assembly to the left fork stanchion.
You want the right stanchion to 'float' on the axle while you pump the forks-that allows it to find its center.
Then you tighten the pinch bolts on the rt. leg and you're done.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 11-25-2019 at 01:16 AM.