Front wheel instal and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front wheel instal and alignment

Hello friends!

I consulted my service manual and google, and then just tried it (just gonna seeeend it....) - but still no luck.

I put my new trackmasters on last night and when I reinstalled the front wheel into the forks, the instructions in the service manual made no sense, and nothing online seemed to exactly fit the KLX. Can I get a hand on the proper sequence for aligning the wheel and installing? I currently have a front tire that is slightly off what the tip of the front fender says.

Thanks so much you all.

Matthew

Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

First I was going to say check and make sure you put the spacers on the correct side but then I finished reading your post.
If your sure the spacers are in the right spot and your fender is cocked to one side your forks could be out of alignment. (But I don't think that's the problem)
Loosen the fork bolts (don't undo them, just loosen) and realign the wheel, I usually put the wheel between my knees and grab the bars to make adjustments.

If the problem is mounting the wheel, it does take some doing to get the spacers in there and lined up. The spacers are side specific.
Once you have the axle in and the axle nut on and tight, snug the pinch bolt farthest from the nut.
Now, get on the bike and push down on the forks a few times to make sure nothing is binding, then tighten the rest of the pinch bolts.
Remember, they are pinch bolts not cinch bolts. Don't gorilla them.

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 04-05-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll give your technique a try. When I was changing the tire, only one spacer came loose (left hand side) and that one went in fairly easily. I'll go through it again and see how it goes. Tonight, back tire with 2 rimlocks!

Old 04-06-2018, 03:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm not up on the '09 and later models. Is the front fork/hub/axle design the same as the '06/'07?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't find a pic of an older one so I'm not sure if they're different.
The '09+ has an axle with 2 diameters and is secured by a nut, that runs through pinch clamps on the bottom of the fork legs, all secured by 2 bolts each leg.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I think its the same, Maximus. 2 pinch on each side. Last night I went through axle seating procedure, and then loosened slightly the 4 fork tightening bolts (at the top) and aligned wheel. Didn't take much, less than 1/2 inch movement at front tire to get it square under the front fender. I'll see how it goes.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The way it sounds, I think you should make sure the fender is straight first. You really just want your forks straight IMO, whether it matches with the fender is another issue.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

good point, although it was a very very minor adjustment. Tip to tell if forks are aligned?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Your fender should be centered on the tire.
As long as your fender isn't bent...

Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

My fender has a bend in it due to being tied up in the trailer for a few months every year. Sometimes it has been bad!!

The object to loosening all the nuts, then tightening the axle nut, then getting all the parts to settle in a straight position, working through the stuction a little, wiggle a little and the axle should pull the forks square with the bike, maybe take a short ride on level ground in a straight line to make sure the handlebars feel straight when you bike is going straight. ......then tighten all the accessory & clinching bolts.

Whether the wheel lines up with the fender is not the way to do it. ....IMHO!

Quick Reply: Front wheel instal and alignment