FMF Mega bomb knock offs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
One dimensional change or so and it is now not the same design... kind of like V-twins when Harley tried to patent the sound. It's hard to patent something that isn't exactly the same or that has been done before in similar fashion. I looked at the pictures, the chamber is not in the same spot and the pipe length is different along with other design changes.

Besides if it is Chinese when have they ever cared about patents.

And similar techniques have been used in the past.
^That...and it came with one of these!^

(Patent Pending)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

The pipe tubing runs straight through the "bomb" with a couple small holes drilled in the tubing, nothing fancy.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
The pipe tubing runs straight through the "bomb" with a couple small holes drilled in the tubing, nothing fancy.
Yep thats true, theres pictures somewhere on here.

Had mine ceramic coated, still gets pretty hot but dont have to run the heat shield anymore.

Name:  f30a4687-3af3-4115-a30a-4dbbd9147fc8_zps5724c490.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  75.6 KB

Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

On both of my 4 wheelers I have knock off slip-ons and in both cases I feel I got my moneys worth. One is an FMF replica and it's good, the other is a two bros rip off and it's almost as good. Saved over a hundred bucks each over the real pieces and am happy with both. But you never know, I've seen both the powerbomb and megabomb fail at the welds under hard abuse.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
On both of my 4 wheelers I have knock off slip-ons and in both cases I feel I got my moneys worth. One is an FMF replica and it's good, the other is a two bros rip off and it's almost as good. Saved over a hundred bucks each over the real pieces and am happy with both. But you never know, I've seen both the powerbomb and megabomb fail at the welds under hard abuse.
This thing is solid. Doubt the welds would fail, but you never know. I just hope I get similar results as to what you're experiencing with your knockoffs.

I'm hoping to install it in the next few days. Supposed to be nice weather the rest of the week, so a seat o' the pants dyno might be possible.

Originally Posted by RimBender
The bends in the pipe prevent me from seeing far enough in without aid, so I'm not sure what the interior entails. I may have a dental mirror. I'll try to see if I can get an interior view before installed.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a chance to take another look at the header tonight.

The bomb pipe is 1/4 inch wider diameter than stock. More flow = more go.
The bomb is hollow. No pass-through pipe with holes drilled in it. Not sure if that is good or bad.
The pipe appears to have the correct bend and the openings line up with the stock.
The stock weighs slightly more, but that's with the heat shield attached to it.

My two major concerns are:

The total length which is 3/8" longer than stock.

And, not sure how I missed this...but...THERE IS NO FLANGE. How would I be able to attach this to the muffler?
Name:  P1060529_zps51a6d416.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  143.6 KB

The pipes diameter is the same as my FMF Q4.
The stock muffler easily fits inside, but there isn't any type of collar on it at all. Even if you could clamp it down, it's not a good fit.

Pretty sure I know why FMF let that one slip through.

Think it's probably refund time.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

You really get your money's worth... Glad I got a real fmf part.

You could slot the end of the pipe like stock

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...fpowerbomb-jpg

Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet a muffler or machine shop could flange it and make a nice fit. For some $.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Being the same diameter, I don't think It would be a very good seal unless there would be a way to flare the pipe past the slotting. I'm sure it's possible, but is it worth it? What about a slightly larger connector piece in between with slots on both ends, two clamps and...every way I look at it, it turns into more time and money. That, and I still don't know if there will be any change to performance.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

What size is the OD of your Chinese mega bomb where it would meet a mid pipe? If it'll connect to the mid pipe I have I may buy one-or buy yours

Meanwhile, you can always shorten it; consider buying a short section of exhaust pipe with an ID the same size as your OD so you can just use the short section as a pipe to pipe connector?

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 11-14-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: FMF Mega bomb knock offs.