FMF Mega bomb knock offs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default FMF Mega bomb knock offs.

While on Ebay the other day I came across a header pipe that looked just like the FMF mega bomb & a lot cheaper too. They had a power bomb as well. I wondered if anybody knows anything about them or has one. It's 304 stainless , made in China & sold out of China , cost $125.

Last edited by bcwilliams; 11-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Post a link please

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR yep that's it. I haven't heard of anybody using it.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Considering "some" people have had alignment problems with the FMF header and pipe I'd be pretty leery of a Chinese one fitting properly.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 11-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

But this one has a USA flag on it. Can't be a Chinese knock-off.

That aside, besides some alignment problems, there have been some reported weld failures especially on the mega-bomb type IIRC.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a genuine fmf mega bomb from ebay & was not impressed with the build quality. After 11 months of use a hairline crack appeared on the weld from the header to the bomb!! I got it TIG welded & it has help up ever since! Very thin & light weight product.

Now many shops here are selling copy power & mega bombs for about $140usd. I wish i'd got the cheaper option but they weren't available 2 years ago!!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Joe , do you think the knock off would work just as good? It might look the same on the outside but it's what's on the inside that counts. If I had them both to look at and cut them open to see if they are the same. I think the mega bomb just looks cool. Don't think it would make much difference on our type of bike. FMF claims it lowers sound by 1.5 db. I have heard people said it does but without checking with a sound meter then it's just hear say. I think a turn down on the muffer would do a better job of changing the sound (I didn't say lower the sound). Down the road I might try one. So many things that need to be done first before spending the money on that.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bcwilliams
Joe , do you think the knock off would work just as good? It might look the same on the outside but it's what's on the inside that counts. If I had them both to look at and cut them open to see if they are the same. I think the mega bomb just looks cool. Don't think it would make much difference on our type of bike. FMF claims it lowers sound by 1.5 db. I have heard people said it does but without checking with a sound meter then it's just hear say. I think a turn down on the muffer would do a better job of changing the sound (I didn't say lower the sound). Down the road I might try one. So many things that need to be done first before spending the money on that.
Don't kid yourself into thinking the mega bomb has any super tech stuff hidden in that stainless steel bulge! If the copy mega bomb has the same dimensions it will work the same as the real mega bomb imho.

I have riden my bike a few times back to back, with stock pipe & then mega bomb & can confirm 3 things:

1. My bike does rev to the redline with the mega bomb fitted in all gears, did not with original pea shooter header pipe.

2. The bike does feel to have more torque with the bomb fitted. (no real proof, just seat of pants test).

3. The bike is slightly quieter & the sounds has a little more of a bass tone with the mega bomb fitted.

The Chinese do make very good copies of everything these days!!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Joel , maybe I'll pick one up and do a review on it. It's just money right...lol.

Quick Reply: FMF Mega bomb knock offs.