FMF Mega bomb knock offs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

++ on the "nothing inside. All the power bomb consists of is a specifically tuned expansion chamber to set up desirable wave patterns in the exhaust system for optimum scavenging of the cylinder. Just like a two stroke,but a new application. It may give the effect of a longer primary header tube that otherwise wouldn't be possible with regular straight ID tubing, which would possibly extend past the rear of the bike before a muffler would installed. I'm thinking it's kind of like a mini-reverse cone stuck in the middle of the pipe, but don't know for sure.

There are lots of exhaust 'tricks' that can be done, think of the old snail pipe expansion chambers built to get all the needed length of exhaust on two strokes or the current circular twist of exhaust header used by Yamaha with the backward cylinder YZ450 to get enough primary length to work properly. Then there were those bundle of snake exhausts used in drag racing, formula 1 and Indy cars to get all the equal primary lengths in the area given... amazing work, amazing welding.

Other designs are used for similar effects, scavenging of the cylinder, like the step up pipes used in NASCAR and other racing. My 650 has a head pipe that expands in diameter as it leaves the head, increasing in size for the next several inches, then that head pipe is capped with a reverse cone that winds back through the chassis just behind the rear motor mount, probably a good 24" in total.

It's all about the dimensions. If that Chinese pipe has the same dimensions as the FMF pipe it will perform on par. If you're really lucky it will have that undesirable thing when it comes to racing - extra weight due to thicker easier to work with material - that would possibly make it more durable. Hopefully that is what would be.

I'd take a chance on it myself. $125 isn't too much to risk knowing the 'real thing' seems to be both a bit fragile and not a particularly great fit to start.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by klx678; 11-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  Patent.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  198.4 KB

Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I usually dont like to purchase chinese knockoffs as the quality is usually according to the price, but considering what other people have said about the FMF header quality, I might try in this case. I recently bought slip-on but I didnt really feel like forking out the cash for a header bomb...I might do that now.

What is FMF saying with the above though? That they have a patent on the bomb and nobody is allowed to immidate it? I dont think the Chinese cares :P

Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Been meaning to do a write up on this 'bomb' header, but I just got it in the mail a few days ago and haven't had time to install it yet. I figured for almost half the cost as the true megabomb I would guinea pig it and report my results. I also have not had the opportunity to look at the fmf pipe itself, so I can't do a true comparison of the two.
Here's what I can tell you though.
The construction seems decent and it feels like it's a heavy duty stainless. The welding looks professional with only 1 minor spot inside that I'm going to grind smooth for better flow. The shape looks promising, but until I get a chance to actually fit it I can't say for sure. Like every aftermarket part, I'm sure some tweaking will be needed and I will report what I find when I get the opportunity.
In the mean time...here are hopefully a few pics of it.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2cc10b26.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psb3103589.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psb14a06cc.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...ps51a6d416.jpg

Last edited by NDKLX'd; 11-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

^ can't see your pics.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

How bout now?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it certainly looks the part!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I'm always finding stuff for our bikes. I'm glad to hear somebody is trying this pipe. It looks promising for the price. Any time I find something I think might be worth a dang , I always try to share. Maybe we should start a thread on low cost items. Any thing we find that works on our bikes would be in that thread. Just a idea.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's interesting on that patent. If FMF has a binding patent on that design, China would be prohibited from shipping or selling that pipe in the U.S. China would be able to sell the pipe internationally to markets who don't recognize or enforce international patents, but not here if FMF pursued it. Seems odd unless FMF just isn't interested in fighting it.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippets
One dimensional change or so and it is now not the same design... kind of like V-twins when Harley tried to patent the sound. It's hard to patent something that isn't exactly the same or that has been done before in similar fashion. I looked at the pictures, the chamber is not in the same spot and the pipe length is different along with other design changes.

Besides if it is Chinese when have they ever cared about patents.

And similar techniques have been used in the past.

Last edited by klx678; 11-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: FMF Mega bomb knock offs.