Cleveland national forest ride report

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
ecb

Hey, that's my motorcycle! Everything's ok; I retrieved it later in the day.

The internet is amazing. I'm surfing the web only due to major frustration -- this is my THIRD FRONT TIRE FLAT IN LESS THAN 500 MILES ON A BRAND NEW2009 KLX250. I was surfing the web to see if others had this problem.

I don't think I ride in any radical way. I'm 48 years old, weigh 180 lbs, and bought the 2009 KLX in June 2008 to have something to ride with my son (he has a quad - Honda....). I ride mainly on dirt and desert with my son; I do small amount of riding on pavement. On Sunday (Father's Day), my plan was to hit some trails around Wildomar, similar to the gent who circulated photos. I made it from our house about halfway up Ortega Highway (about 18 miles). Front tire went flat as I entered a turn. Bike wobbled heavy duty and I almost lost control. It could have been a disaster if there were cars around. I called wife, got ride home, and picked up bike with trailer. Now I'm fuming that this has happened three times.

I'm new at this. Are that many flats standard? My FIRST TWO FLATS WERE REPAIRED BY OTD IN SANTA ANA, where I bought the bike. My feeling is not to go back there for a third time, but I will if necessary.

I don't know where to turn next. This morning, I called Kawasaki headquarters in Irvine out of frustration. They said I have to go to a dealer. Finally the customer service lady said to go to Mission Motorsports in Irvine, and talk to Service Manager.

My sense is that I need to talk to someone with knowledge on this. I simply want a product that I can ride and trust without it breaking down.... This bike is NOT giving me that feeling.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forum, it looks like we should have a big board ride to the peak some time, probally end up with a lot of people. i would change it your self if you know anything about working on a bike. theses some good videos on you tube that show you how to chnage it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey ecb, welcome to the forum! That's crazy how you found my thread with your bike in it! I'm sorry to hear about your situation! I've never had a flat on my klx, only on my ktm. I say change it yourself and use a heavy duty tube. Also, keep your psi above 20 psi or run rim locks. And make sure your rim has no sharp edges either. If you want, I can help you with your tire repair? But we definitely gotta plan a ride together!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice pics, jpaul, looks like good riding out there. Glad you are healing up and getting back out in the dirt.

ECB, I can't imagine how hard it must have been to leave your bike along the side of the road like that. Glad no one stole it or messed with it. At least you know it was in good condition when jpaul stopped by.