Cleaning up my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cleaning up my rear end

To address the factory license plate holder (eyesore), I previously posted about removing my stock license plate holder. LINK
Instead, I attached the plate directly to the rear fender. This helped greatly, IMO. But I still had the factory turn signals hanging off the back. I've never been a fan of them aesthetically. And during a recent single-track ride, they caught on some bush branches -- and that was enough to convince me they definitely needed to go.

I removed the factory lights, snipped the wires, and soldered in some Maxxima LED 3/4" amber lights in clear lenses (available on Amazon). I drilled 5/8" holes in my fender and they "clicked" right in. They're surprisingly bright and certainly adequate to prevent the local LEO's from citing me for road use. I installed the LED's low on the fender as I intend to replace the factory rack with something else, and I wanted the lights to be visible even with various stuff strapped on back there.

I'm planning to replace the front factory turn signals with the very same lights in the next few weeks. My bike is becoming more and more of a svelt single-track machine, which is the end goal.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

you can probably get away with it in Idaho but here in Virginia we require our rear plates to have a separate lighting source. But other than that, it looks really good!

I have a '18 KLX250 and I just bought the tst industries fender eliminator kit. A little pricey but it looks good.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment.

I’m curious, is the license plate light requirement enforced strictly in your neck of the woods?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

No tag light will get you a ticket in rural east Texas. Ask me how I know, being #3 in a line with 4 other cars and pickups going home after dusk! Texas Highway Patrolman that wrote me up mentioned the wire hanging that was caught by some brush.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep need to be legal here in Oregon too
for me I like the rear light in my 09.
I put a bright LED in it and also smaller but super bright LED turns.. I had the FMF meltdown on the stock ones...

Old 08-27-2020, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ForestThump
Thanks for the compliment.

I’m curious, is the license plate light requirement enforced strictly in your neck of the woods?
100%. Easy money for the county if you don't. Cant even fight it in court here bc they have proof your vehicle is tampered with. And if they want to be real a**holes they can check your emissions here too in Northern Virginia to make sure it's smog proof. And if you fail that, they just hit jackpot. So the best thing is to not given them any reason to pull you over. Hence, mine is bone stock with the exception of the TST industries fender eliminator kit and rear rack from Moose Racing. I attached the little factory pouch to the side to hold some zip-ties, my registration & insurance, gloves, wallet, etc.

Pic link to my google pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8PDJNHYv1uTqDhKJ8

Last edited by VWJETTY; 08-27-2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: pic link
Old 08-29-2020, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow. Well I'll count myself as VERY fortunate to live in a locality where law enforcement officials tend to concentrate on more meaningful violations. True, I shouldn't be giving LEO's any reason to pull me over. And if I do, then I would fully expect them to question a lack of license plate light. But if I'm riding responsibly, I seriously doubt I'd be pulled over ONLY for something like this.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah just check your local laws. Better safe than sorry.

I'd like to say that I'll sooner or later move out West away from this heavily populated and dense metropolitan area but I work for a federal government agency and the last time I checked, they're all centered right in Washington DC and not going anywhere! Never been to Idaho, I bet you guys got some very cool trails and views!

Old 08-31-2020, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I finished off the front end this weekend, replacing the stock turn signals with the same ones I installed on the rear a week or so ago. No more extra apendages to snag on tree branches, bushes and the like whilst single-tracking.
I like 'em. Just like the rears, I drilled 5/8" holes in the plastic fairing and they snapped right into place. Very tight and secure - they ain't going anywhere. They're plenty bright, even in broad daylight.