Calling all 2009 KLX Owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Calling all 2009 KLX Owners!!!

another question. How do I know if my bike is the CA model or not? I got it in NY. Per Kaw. site it tells me to look on some warranty reg. card, can not seem to find it.
wonder if I have teh 250T9F or T9FL

From Kawi Site:
NOTE: Even if you did not purchase your vehicle in California, you may have a California (CA) Spec model. To ensure that you are able to select the correct parts for your vehicle, you must know whether your vehicle is a California (CA) spec or 49-State (US) spec model. Look at your warranty registration card; if the model code ends with 'L' you have a California spec vehicle. To go directly to the correct parts list for your vehicle, you may enter your Vehicle Identification Number on the Vehicle Information screen.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

why does it matter..... it is what it is..... lol

Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Im sure that just means you can only purchase new in CA. The way they leak out is if CA guy moves to another state & sells it there. Its incorporated into the VIN also. Either the same way as the warranty card or do a search to decipher Kawasaki's VIN codes.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

klxer, good point. I just wasnt sure what model I had as I can not find based on even the VIN

anyone can recomend some good offroading boots? I had a pair but had major diffciculty getting used to them ( i had so much trouble shifting and braking)
thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thor quadrants..... comfy right out of the box....no problems shifting or braking.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

it's easy to tell if you have a cali model, there will be a canister hanging off the left side of the bike under the radiator.
I ended up with a '93 CA model ZX7, right out of crate here in Iowa. So unless things have changed, they can end up anywhere as the Kawi literature states. The bike had a charcoal canister right under the seat.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cosmickites

klxer, good point. I just wasnt sure what model I had as I can not find based on even the VIN

anyone can recomend some good offroading boots? I had a pair but had major diffciculty getting used to them ( i had so much trouble shifting and braking)
thanks

the tech 6's are good but pricey. the tech 4's are fine boots too. I'd suggest going to e-bay. a friend got a pair of tech 8's in practically new condition for $82.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

i think i sold that pair.
my big issue is shifting.
is it me or does it take getting used to stiff boots to shift and brake?
I feel like I have ZERO ankle flex. I guess that is the point correct?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

did you adjust your shift and brake levers? a lot of people complain about using mx boots. your not alone there. you just have to get to a place that has a variety of boots so that you can try the different brands to see what feels the best. what feels good toone guy will feel like crap to another.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Dean, just double checking - are you sure those write-ups weren't for the fuel injected version available in Japan? Because I can see that alone making a big difference especially when compared to the very tame CVK carb. That could totally change the character of the bike and might explain the big difference the reviewers are seeing. Everyone over hear that has ridden an '09 sounds pretty much how we all felt about the stock '06/'07.

Just want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Well, hopefully you will get some reviews over there soon. I have read 3 full write-ups in Japanese magazines and by all three accounts the new bike is is more dirt worth in every respect. My personal calculator says that covers more than +/- 5%

I hear ya on the power though. I really wish they would have put EFI on the stateside version because power commander would come-up with a mapping program pronto. Japanese companies move too darn slow on such things. The mag's already measured a 2hp increase over the carbureted model, so imaging what a power commander and more free flowing exhaust would do!

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

outside of the suspension and the shorter 6th gear what has really changed? they did nothing to get more power (which is the one area they should have adressed). i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the 08/09 is no better. +/- say 5%.
i'd like to see it be a better bike for all the guys who waited but i just don't see it happening.

Quick Reply: Calling all 2009 KLX Owners!!!