Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe think again about taping a piece of paper towel over the water pump weep hole to convince yourself that this is or isn't the problem. Find the problem and fix it yourself or have the dealer do it. Tell them there ain't no way you're looking forward to blowing the bike up when you're 25 miles from the nearest pavement because they wouldn't fix the problem like they damn well should, thank you very much!

Good luck with it and thanks for letting us know what they said. If you don't get resolution with them, let us know who they are.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

this will be a street bike only so no worries about being lost in the wild

I said well if I blow the engine will kawasaki warranty pay to tow me, they said it wont blow
it wont even seize unless I sit around and idle it with no coolant
they claim I can still ride it home if the water blows out of the pump as long as I ride fast it will become air cooled

OF course I would never ride it with no water in it not sure if that guy was serious or not. I figured if anything they would want work there if kawasaki is paying for it
but I guess not

I will tape that hole for a few more rides, could be possible one of the hoses could be leaking at the clamps or something
then the coolant could flow down right over the weep hole area from all the wind
so if its taped up and I still see stains then that means its from somewhere else

since I had stains all over the bike originally its hard to say 100% it came from the hole

I was sort of glad they didnt want to work on it, even though I have like 5 other street bikes all working it sucks to give up a new bike for any amount of time

I almost think my drz400s once leaked at that hole too because I could of sworn I took off that pump housing at one time for some reason
maybe it was to see where the leak was but that was so long ago
maybe it did leak and magically stopped too
or I had just replaced the whole pump just cant remember

these engines looks so similar from what little I can remember about it

Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Just went to go put tape over the hole when I saw the coolant inside with a light
Stuck a paper towel deep in the hole

Not much in there but it is in the whole
I doubt any other leak somehow made it into that hole

Now from what the service guy saw ( the stains at the hole) he just didnt seemed concerned
Im not sure if the seal is just not doing too good of a job, if its not under any type or pressure?
If this is normal and has happened on my other bikes (at least 3 in the past were water cooled)and just never noticed?
Who knows

Maybe im worrying about nothing, guess I will just see what happens in the future

about the size of a q tip

Name:  SAM_1606_zps3723ec5c.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  2.33 MB

Last edited by MikeW; 09-20-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I changed my coolant when I got my bike. First ride after I changed it, it burped coolant around the cap. Never happened again. I wouldn't worry about it. The cap on my puke tank doesn't seal well. It always has a trail of coolant running down it.

Nice advice from the dealer. Which one is telling you all this crazy stuff?

Edit -> just saw your snot rag. That's not right. Get her hot and see what comes out.

Last edited by Lotrat; 09-20-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I changed my coolant when I got my bike. First ride after I changed it, it burped coolant around the cap. Never happened again. I wouldn't worry about it. The cap on my puke tank doesn't seal well. It always has a trail of coolant running down it.

Nice advice from the dealer. Which one is telling you all this crazy stuff?
Just one of the desk jockeys at the service desk
I dont think they work on any bikes

Yeah ive had enough bikes now, and in the past to know better then what he was saying
Like one of the salesman said dont worry about the leak, they can hook it up to the scanner and see how much it had been leaking
Now im not that hip on these newer bikes but I dont think mine has any type of computer sensors that monitor coolant level

Bad enough the parts guy ordered me a vulcan user manual book for my bike as it was missing when I bought it along with the tool kit
so now I got to wait again for the correct one to come in

Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
Just one of the desk jockeys at the service desk
I dont think they work on any bikes

Yeah ive had enough bikes now, and in the past to know better then what he was saying
Like one of the salesman said dont worry about the leak, they can hook it up to the scanner and see how much it had been leaking
Now im not that hip on these newer bikes but I dont think mine has any type of computer sensors that monitor coolant level

Bad enough the parts guy ordered me a vulcan user manual book for my bike as it was missing when I bought it along with the tool kit
so now I got to wait again for the correct one to come in
Any chance there's another dealer in your area?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah very close to my house actually

just wanted to go to the place I got the bike from first, plus I was picking up my tool bag, missing reflector and the book which they have to reorder again

Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and what's this "street bike only" bs? Lots of dirt around here ya know. I've even found some in Cbad.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

oh we have otay mountain to ride on, legal too
also a OHV park about 1 hr away
but my problem is why get a new bike dirty, I keep it looking super new and you know once I hit dirt it will get up into all my silicon coated parts it will be a pain to clean. I have a problem about keeping ALL my bikes as mint as I can , even my dedicated dirt bike looks brand new for 10 years old.

I have let one dual sport get dirty on that mountain

Name:  bd8e8b0a-1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  755.7 KB
Its small, easy to clean plus tons of fun going slow. Thats how I ride.
Now ive had all sorts of bikes in the past, ridden most all types. I find the dual sport the most comfortable for me. The super soft suspension, the great riding position. Flying over speed bumps, flying off curbs and landing smooth as silk. What more could I ask for. Cant do that on a sport bike.

If it was to ever see dirt, it would be on that mountain. I could risk getting stranded there but it is accessible by truck and border patrol is all over. But then I have no problem trusting a 33 year old bike on that road to get me home.

The klx is more of a somewhat peppy, comfortable bike to ride around town with and can go a little further then all my scooters can go.
Riding scooters for 2 years I got used to the slower lower pace. Before scooters it was like 7 years of 400-650cc bikes

Im not really a off roader and when I do its slow and I enjoy the scenery. Cant jump, cant do wheelies and dont ride fast.

Last edited by MikeW; 09-20-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

around 1100 miles so far
from the last time I had posted about the small leak I cleaned it all up
this is whats has came out since

reserve tank still very close to the mark I originally made
but depending on how hot or cool the bike was when I did the mark it could change slightly

Name:  null_zps3b0f133e.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  173.7 KB

Quick Reply: Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?