Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If you want to check for small drips of coolant out that hole, take a small balled up piece of paper towel and tape it over the hole. Ride and then inspect the paper towel.
Do you recommend Brawny or Bounty paper towels?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I would use Bounty. It's quicker since it's the quicker picker upper.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Well TNC, being a KLR rider, and we know they are known for their frugality (read cheapness), the best paper towel is the free one at the gas station windshield washing station or restroom! Or whatever you have at your house when I drop by.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Warranty? Watch it close and get it to the dealer if it gets any worse, or shows up again.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

kawasaki gives 1 year unlimited mileage as a warranty on new bikes
and before the year is up I have the option of purchasing an extended one

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
kawasaki gives 1 year unlimited mileage as a warranty on new bikes
and before the year is up I have the option of purchasing an extended one
That warranty is nothing If you mod your bike because kawasaki knows most owners mod their bikes to gain more power etc and that warranty won't apply.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
That warranty is nothing If you mod your bike because kawasaki knows most owners mod their bikes to gain more power etc and that warranty won't apply.
This is not totally true...unless you specify which mods and then the specific resulting warranty claims that you might have. What I'm saying is that if a specific mod like a big bore kit was installed, and then you have a head gasket leak or a more serious failure related to the areas of the engine of that directly involve the big bore install, you're probably on your own unless you have a really good dealer. A dealer who even wanted to help you wouldn't want to have to access the venue to get the parts that are clearly outside the Kawasaki parts warehouse. And they really shouldn't have to pay the labor unless in the unusual case where you paid a dealer to do the install and they clearly screwed something up.

This can be a fuzzy area of responsibility, but while working at a Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha dealership for about 15 years...and still associated with them to this day...I found this to be the norm. If the dealer is your purchasing dealer, and you've been a regular customer in the past, they will usually go out of their way to warranty an issue, and occasionally even one that could be "somewhat" associated with a given aftermarket mod. I think they'd draw the line at the blown up top end of a big bore kit that the owner or someone else installed. However, something like a starter motor failing...which a picky dealer could blame on the big bore kit...might be covered without much question that involved a valued customer. Yes, there are a lot of "what ifs" in this scenario, but it goes to show that dealers have great latitude in dealing with warranty repairs, and you should have a good knowledge and relationship with your dealer if you're going to rely on them for repairs during the first year.

Now, there are also other laws that exist in most states that protect consumers from unfair dealerships and/or unreasonable warranty restrictions. Many law suits and litigation have brought about things like the ability to have a properly installed aftermarket exhaust, intake mods, and many other mods as long as they are not the direct cause of a warranty claim. An example of this would that the nice, shiny, new FMF muffler that you installed fell off on the highway and was basically destroyed. Neither the dealer nor Kawasaki would be responsible for that incident, or maybe also the fact that you buggered up the end of the stock headpipe and muffler mount with your hammer and crescent wrench during the installation. However, the dealer would be responsible for the warranty repair/replacement of your '09 instrument panel that failed in a cloud of smoke that clearly has no connection to your aftermarket muffler. An owner usually has no warranty claim issues with a good dealer who is reasonable and pragmatic.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

actually I have no reason to mod this bike at all
so I dont have to worry about voiding anything

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

well its leaking for sure
noticed some white spots on the black tubing
looked under and its wet
not alot, about a drip worth but I would think it may be a sign it could leak more

New pics

Name:  IMG00110-20120918-1833_zps2ce7a9c5.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  322.8 KB
Name:  IMG00109-20120918-1815_zps11b0d7d3.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  433.2 KB

Sucks dropping 5 grand cash on a new bike and now I got to waste time driving 45 min to bring it in for service and get it back who knows when

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay here is what happened

Dealership looked at it and said why am I bringing it in. At the time it was dry. No new stains. Showed them all my pics of before. Also said about the stains on the bottom of the radiator, those black plastic fins and radiator cap. He agrees with me those stains may have been from coolant leaking out from the cap, if it wasnt tight or something.
The weep hole he didnt seemed concerned about. Said only bring it in if its actually dripping out.

I never had seen it dripping only once a tiny wet spot and those stains.
He said drive it until it blows up, and keep an eye on the level.

So I guess either they dont want to work on it, or its normal????

They did say they would take it apart and clean the pump out, but whats the point of that I can do that myself.

So I will just keep records of anymore stains, marked my overflow bottle to keep an eye on the level. Maybe in a few weeks pop the cap to verify its full.

Quick Reply: Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?