Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/brand-new-bike-dried-up-coolant-38894/)

MikeW 09-17-2012 12:16 AM

Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?

1 Attachment(s)
Brand new 2012 klx 250s
Noticed on the bottom of the right side radiator dried up coolant, along with on the filler cap. Crusty gray green residue.
Then under the water pump there is a small hole with the same residue.
Now I noticed this today with around 180 miles on the bike. And have not seen or smelled any coolant yet. Just now cleaned it up to see if it comes back

Im hoping maybe the radiator overfilled and ran down the front, and down the hoses. Maybe from dealer prep? Then dried up.

Now there is no reason to have any coolant leaking out of that pump drain hole correct. It would only leak if the seal or something was bad?

So far overflow container looks to have the same amount of coolant in it from when I got the bike but I think I will make a line on it to see if it changes too much from hot to cold.

Thankfully I have 1 year warranty on the bike

Attachment 11718

Also saw one of the bolts on the cylinder the coolant hose connects to had a drip of what looked like oil on it, but if its a coolant passageway bolt I would think if anything it would have dried up coolant on it. Maybe its just oil from something else?

Really need to look over everything on this bike I guess
Hopefully these arent future problems:mad:

TNC 09-17-2012 01:32 AM

If I'm reading you correctly, this is a brand new bike, right? Not sure I'd get too excited at the moment about the presence of fluid residue immediately. Clean off those spots of residue, and then keep a close eye on them to see if any more fluids show up there.

MikeW 09-17-2012 01:39 AM

yes new bike

im just hoping since there was residue on the bottom of one radiator, and up on the filler cap maybe it somehow leaked all down the side of the bike along the hoses and just wasnt cleaned up

just thought it was strange to have residue all over those parts, I even remember seeing the white spots on the lower frame tube the day I took it home
just never looked under the bike until today when I put it up on a stand.

so maybe it did that on the ride home, or was there when they first prepped it before I got it

had no miles on the odo so I know its new

MikeW 09-17-2012 02:31 AM

went on 25 mile ride
no residue or signs of coolant on the radiator, cap or that drain hole

but I will keep an eye on those areas the next few more rides
I would think if it was the pump seals it would leak as long as the engine is running
like ive seen on cars with failing water pumps

toyotabuilder 09-17-2012 02:40 AM

oil clear?(turns milky when seal goes in my experiance rads fill the case up) idk if the pump and main case are conected on this bike or not

MikeW 09-17-2012 02:47 AM

only like 260 miles on the bike, its brand new
but im planning on changing the oil tomorrow, leaving in the filter

so I will be able to get a good look at the oil, in the window it looks dark if that helps
and I know nothing about how the pump ties into the bike, if the water could have a chance to get into the engine

toyotabuilder 09-17-2012 03:23 AM

dark is better than a milky grey-green so its most likely not the seal per my experience

rgoers 09-17-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482149)

so I will be able to get a good look at the oil, in the window it looks dark if that helps
and I know nothing about how the pump ties into the bike, if the water could have a chance to get into the engine

Not to be too critical, but I would have changed the oil about 200 miles ago. There's going to be A LOT of metal flecks in the filter from the manufacturing process, so I'd definitely change the filter too! It's only going to cost you $6 extra... I assure you that the filter surface is going to look all "sparkly" if you hold it up to the light. When I changed my filter, I tossed a small magnet (salvaged from a PC hard drive) on one of the filter's metal end-caps. The magnet pulls out any metal particles before they even hit the filter.

Hopefully you've already found and followed the MotoMan breakin process. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power I did, and it made the bike a totally different animal. Probably too late to do it now, as you've passed the mileage where it would make any difference at this point. Gotta start that with a fresh engine!

Brieninsac 09-17-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482149)

I strongly suggest replacing the oil filter too during your first oil change.

IDRIDR 09-17-2012 08:31 PM

If you want to check for small drips of coolant out that hole, take a small balled up piece of paper towel and tape it over the hole. Ride and then inspect the paper towel.