Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/brand-new-bike-dried-up-coolant-38894/)

MikeW 09-17-2012 12:16 AM

Brand New Bike Dried Up Coolant?

1 Attachment(s)
Brand new 2012 klx 250s
Noticed on the bottom of the right side radiator dried up coolant, along with on the filler cap. Crusty gray green residue.
Then under the water pump there is a small hole with the same residue.
Now I noticed this today with around 180 miles on the bike. And have not seen or smelled any coolant yet. Just now cleaned it up to see if it comes back

Im hoping maybe the radiator overfilled and ran down the front, and down the hoses. Maybe from dealer prep? Then dried up.

Now there is no reason to have any coolant leaking out of that pump drain hole correct. It would only leak if the seal or something was bad?

So far overflow container looks to have the same amount of coolant in it from when I got the bike but I think I will make a line on it to see if it changes too much from hot to cold.

Thankfully I have 1 year warranty on the bike

Attachment 11718

Also saw one of the bolts on the cylinder the coolant hose connects to had a drip of what looked like oil on it, but if its a coolant passageway bolt I would think if anything it would have dried up coolant on it. Maybe its just oil from something else?

Really need to look over everything on this bike I guess
Hopefully these arent future problems:mad:

TNC 09-17-2012 01:32 AM

If I'm reading you correctly, this is a brand new bike, right? Not sure I'd get too excited at the moment about the presence of fluid residue immediately. Clean off those spots of residue, and then keep a close eye on them to see if any more fluids show up there.

MikeW 09-17-2012 01:39 AM

yes new bike

im just hoping since there was residue on the bottom of one radiator, and up on the filler cap maybe it somehow leaked all down the side of the bike along the hoses and just wasnt cleaned up

just thought it was strange to have residue all over those parts, I even remember seeing the white spots on the lower frame tube the day I took it home
just never looked under the bike until today when I put it up on a stand.

so maybe it did that on the ride home, or was there when they first prepped it before I got it

had no miles on the odo so I know its new

MikeW 09-17-2012 02:31 AM

went on 25 mile ride
no residue or signs of coolant on the radiator, cap or that drain hole

but I will keep an eye on those areas the next few more rides
I would think if it was the pump seals it would leak as long as the engine is running
like ive seen on cars with failing water pumps

toyotabuilder 09-17-2012 02:40 AM

oil clear?(turns milky when seal goes in my experiance rads fill the case up) idk if the pump and main case are conected on this bike or not

MikeW 09-17-2012 02:47 AM

only like 260 miles on the bike, its brand new
but im planning on changing the oil tomorrow, leaving in the filter

so I will be able to get a good look at the oil, in the window it looks dark if that helps
and I know nothing about how the pump ties into the bike, if the water could have a chance to get into the engine

toyotabuilder 09-17-2012 03:23 AM

dark is better than a milky grey-green so its most likely not the seal per my experience

rgoers 09-17-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482149)

so I will be able to get a good look at the oil, in the window it looks dark if that helps
and I know nothing about how the pump ties into the bike, if the water could have a chance to get into the engine

Not to be too critical, but I would have changed the oil about 200 miles ago. There's going to be A LOT of metal flecks in the filter from the manufacturing process, so I'd definitely change the filter too! It's only going to cost you $6 extra... I assure you that the filter surface is going to look all "sparkly" if you hold it up to the light. When I changed my filter, I tossed a small magnet (salvaged from a PC hard drive) on one of the filter's metal end-caps. The magnet pulls out any metal particles before they even hit the filter.

Hopefully you've already found and followed the MotoMan breakin process. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power I did, and it made the bike a totally different animal. Probably too late to do it now, as you've passed the mileage where it would make any difference at this point. Gotta start that with a fresh engine!

Brieninsac 09-17-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482149)

I strongly suggest replacing the oil filter too during your first oil change.

IDRIDR 09-17-2012 08:31 PM

If you want to check for small drips of coolant out that hole, take a small balled up piece of paper towel and tape it over the hole. Ride and then inspect the paper towel.

TNC 09-17-2012 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR (Post 482200)
If you want to check for small drips of coolant out that hole, take a small balled up piece of paper towel and tape it over the hole. Ride and then inspect the paper towel.

Do you recommend Brawny or Bounty paper towels?:D

Lotrat 09-18-2012 01:15 AM

I would use Bounty. It's quicker since it's the quicker picker upper.

IDRIDR 09-18-2012 03:12 AM

Well TNC, being a KLR rider, and we know they are known for their frugality (read cheapness), the best paper towel is the free one at the gas station windshield washing station or restroom! Or whatever you have at your house when I drop by. :rolleyes:

deej 09-18-2012 02:35 PM

Warranty? Watch it close and get it to the dealer if it gets any worse, or shows up again. ;)

MikeW 09-18-2012 02:44 PM

kawasaki gives 1 year unlimited mileage as a warranty on new bikes
and before the year is up I have the option of purchasing an extended one

Pogiboy 09-18-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482270)
kawasaki gives 1 year unlimited mileage as a warranty on new bikes
and before the year is up I have the option of purchasing an extended one

That warranty is nothing If you mod your bike because kawasaki knows most owners mod their bikes to gain more power etc and that warranty won't apply.

TNC 09-18-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pogiboy (Post 482275)
That warranty is nothing If you mod your bike because kawasaki knows most owners mod their bikes to gain more power etc and that warranty won't apply.

This is not totally true...unless you specify which mods and then the specific resulting warranty claims that you might have. What I'm saying is that if a specific mod like a big bore kit was installed, and then you have a head gasket leak or a more serious failure related to the areas of the engine of that directly involve the big bore install, you're probably on your own unless you have a really good dealer. A dealer who even wanted to help you wouldn't want to have to access the venue to get the parts that are clearly outside the Kawasaki parts warehouse. And they really shouldn't have to pay the labor unless in the unusual case where you paid a dealer to do the install and they clearly screwed something up.

This can be a fuzzy area of responsibility, but while working at a Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha dealership for about 15 years...and still associated with them to this day...I found this to be the norm. If the dealer is your purchasing dealer, and you've been a regular customer in the past, they will usually go out of their way to warranty an issue, and occasionally even one that could be "somewhat" associated with a given aftermarket mod. I think they'd draw the line at the blown up top end of a big bore kit that the owner or someone else installed. However, something like a starter motor failing...which a picky dealer could blame on the big bore kit...might be covered without much question that involved a valued customer. Yes, there are a lot of "what ifs" in this scenario, but it goes to show that dealers have great latitude in dealing with warranty repairs, and you should have a good knowledge and relationship with your dealer if you're going to rely on them for repairs during the first year.

Now, there are also other laws that exist in most states that protect consumers from unfair dealerships and/or unreasonable warranty restrictions. Many law suits and litigation have brought about things like the ability to have a properly installed aftermarket exhaust, intake mods, and many other mods as long as they are not the direct cause of a warranty claim. An example of this would that the nice, shiny, new FMF muffler that you installed fell off on the highway and was basically destroyed. Neither the dealer nor Kawasaki would be responsible for that incident, or maybe also the fact that you buggered up the end of the stock headpipe and muffler mount with your hammer and crescent wrench during the installation. However, the dealer would be responsible for the warranty repair/replacement of your '09 instrument panel that failed in a cloud of smoke that clearly has no connection to your aftermarket muffler. An owner usually has no warranty claim issues with a good dealer who is reasonable and pragmatic.

MikeW 09-18-2012 11:23 PM

actually I have no reason to mod this bike at all
so I dont have to worry about voiding anything

MikeW 09-19-2012 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
well its leaking for sure
noticed some white spots on the black tubing
looked under and its wet
not alot, about a drip worth but I would think it may be a sign it could leak more

New pics

Attachment 11713
Attachment 11714

Sucks dropping 5 grand cash on a new bike and now I got to waste time driving 45 min to bring it in for service and get it back who knows when

MikeW 09-20-2012 02:05 AM

Okay here is what happened

Dealership looked at it and said why am I bringing it in. At the time it was dry. No new stains. Showed them all my pics of before. Also said about the stains on the bottom of the radiator, those black plastic fins and radiator cap. He agrees with me those stains may have been from coolant leaking out from the cap, if it wasnt tight or something.
The weep hole he didnt seemed concerned about. Said only bring it in if its actually dripping out.

I never had seen it dripping only once a tiny wet spot and those stains.
He said drive it until it blows up, and keep an eye on the level.

So I guess either they dont want to work on it, or its normal????

They did say they would take it apart and clean the pump out, but whats the point of that I can do that myself.

So I will just keep records of anymore stains, marked my overflow bottle to keep an eye on the level. Maybe in a few weeks pop the cap to verify its full.

IDRIDR 09-20-2012 03:04 AM

Maybe think again about taping a piece of paper towel over the water pump weep hole to convince yourself that this is or isn't the problem. Find the problem and fix it yourself or have the dealer do it. Tell them there ain't no way you're looking forward to blowing the bike up when you're 25 miles from the nearest pavement because they wouldn't fix the problem like they damn well should, thank you very much!

Good luck with it and thanks for letting us know what they said. If you don't get resolution with them, let us know who they are.

MikeW 09-20-2012 03:14 AM

this will be a street bike only so no worries about being lost in the wild:)

I said well if I blow the engine will kawasaki warranty pay to tow me, they said it wont blow
it wont even seize unless I sit around and idle it with no coolant
they claim I can still ride it home if the water blows out of the pump as long as I ride fast it will become air cooled

OF course I would never ride it with no water in it not sure if that guy was serious or not. I figured if anything they would want work there if kawasaki is paying for it
but I guess not

I will tape that hole for a few more rides, could be possible one of the hoses could be leaking at the clamps or something
then the coolant could flow down right over the weep hole area from all the wind
so if its taped up and I still see stains then that means its from somewhere else

since I had stains all over the bike originally its hard to say 100% it came from the hole

I was sort of glad they didnt want to work on it, even though I have like 5 other street bikes all working it sucks to give up a new bike for any amount of time

I almost think my drz400s once leaked at that hole too because I could of sworn I took off that pump housing at one time for some reason
maybe it was to see where the leak was but that was so long ago
maybe it did leak and magically stopped too
or I had just replaced the whole pump just cant remember

these engines looks so similar from what little I can remember about it

MikeW 09-20-2012 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just went to go put tape over the hole when I saw the coolant inside with a light
Stuck a paper towel deep in the hole

Not much in there but it is in the whole
I doubt any other leak somehow made it into that hole

Now from what the service guy saw ( the stains at the hole) he just didnt seemed concerned
Im not sure if the seal is just not doing too good of a job, if its not under any type or pressure?
If this is normal and has happened on my other bikes (at least 3 in the past were water cooled)and just never noticed?
Who knows

Maybe im worrying about nothing, guess I will just see what happens in the future

about the size of a q tip

Attachment 11697

Lotrat 09-20-2012 03:28 AM

I changed my coolant when I got my bike. First ride after I changed it, it burped coolant around the cap. Never happened again. I wouldn't worry about it. The cap on my puke tank doesn't seal well. It always has a trail of coolant running down it.

Nice advice from the dealer. Which one is telling you all this crazy stuff?

Edit -> just saw your snot rag. That's not right. Get her hot and see what comes out.

MikeW 09-20-2012 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lotrat (Post 482412)
I changed my coolant when I got my bike. First ride after I changed it, it burped coolant around the cap. Never happened again. I wouldn't worry about it. The cap on my puke tank doesn't seal well. It always has a trail of coolant running down it.

Nice advice from the dealer. Which one is telling you all this crazy stuff?

Just one of the desk jockeys at the service desk
I dont think they work on any bikes

Yeah ive had enough bikes now, and in the past to know better then what he was saying
Like one of the salesman said dont worry about the leak, they can hook it up to the scanner and see how much it had been leaking
Now im not that hip on these newer bikes but I dont think mine has any type of computer sensors that monitor coolant level

Bad enough the parts guy ordered me a vulcan user manual book for my bike as it was missing when I bought it along with the tool kit
so now I got to wait again for the correct one to come in

TNC 09-20-2012 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 482413)
Just one of the desk jockeys at the service desk
I dont think they work on any bikes

Yeah ive had enough bikes now, and in the past to know better then what he was saying
Like one of the salesman said dont worry about the leak, they can hook it up to the scanner and see how much it had been leaking
Now im not that hip on these newer bikes but I dont think mine has any type of computer sensors that monitor coolant level

Bad enough the parts guy ordered me a vulcan user manual book for my bike as it was missing when I bought it along with the tool kit
so now I got to wait again for the correct one to come in

Any chance there's another dealer in your area?:D

MikeW 09-20-2012 03:45 AM

yeah very close to my house actually

just wanted to go to the place I got the bike from first, plus I was picking up my tool bag, missing reflector and the book which they have to reorder again

Lotrat 09-20-2012 03:55 AM

Oh and what's this "street bike only" bs? Lots of dirt around here ya know. I've even found some in Cbad.

MikeW 09-20-2012 04:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh we have otay mountain to ride on, legal too
also a OHV park about 1 hr away
but my problem is why get a new bike dirty, I keep it looking super new and you know once I hit dirt it will get up into all my silicon coated parts it will be a pain to clean. I have a problem about keeping ALL my bikes as mint as I can , even my dedicated dirt bike looks brand new for 10 years old.

I have let one dual sport get dirty on that mountain

Attachment 11696
Its small, easy to clean plus tons of fun going slow. Thats how I ride.
Now ive had all sorts of bikes in the past, ridden most all types. I find the dual sport the most comfortable for me. The super soft suspension, the great riding position. Flying over speed bumps, flying off curbs and landing smooth as silk. What more could I ask for. Cant do that on a sport bike.

If it was to ever see dirt, it would be on that mountain. I could risk getting stranded there but it is accessible by truck and border patrol is all over. But then I have no problem trusting a 33 year old bike on that road to get me home.

The klx is more of a somewhat peppy, comfortable bike to ride around town with and can go a little further then all my scooters can go.
Riding scooters for 2 years I got used to the slower lower pace. Before scooters it was like 7 years of 400-650cc bikes

Im not really a off roader and when I do its slow and I enjoy the scenery. Cant jump, cant do wheelies and dont ride fast.

MikeW 11-01-2012 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
around 1100 miles so far
from the last time I had posted about the small leak I cleaned it all up
this is whats has came out since

reserve tank still very close to the mark I originally made
but depending on how hot or cool the bike was when I did the mark it could change slightly

Attachment 11535

IDRIDR 11-01-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks for the update. You ought to get that fixed :).

MikeW 11-01-2012 08:36 PM

dealer said not a problem
so I will go with that
im going to look for kawasaki email see what they say
still got 1 year warranty on the bike so I have time, if it blows then I will fix it

I dont like it either but professional mechanic said dont worry:rolleyes:

Lotrat 11-02-2012 03:11 AM

I call BS. Find another dealer. Call Kawi and throw them under the bus. Why should you deal with that? What if it blows while you're out on a trail? It's leaking and it shouldn't be leaking and they should fix it.

IDRIDR 11-02-2012 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lotrat (Post 484882)
I call BS. Find another dealer. Call Kawi and throw them under the bus. Why should you deal with that? What if it blows while you're out on a trail? It's leaking and it shouldn't be leaking and they should fix it.

EXACTLY! It is not supposed to leak. It's a problem that could go bad at a very opportune time leaving you stranded. Don't accept that "run it until it blows" as an answer. Bad dealer.

MikeW 11-02-2012 07:29 AM

yeah all the bikes ive had I never remember anything around that drip hole
and I think the bike I did I just replaced the pump or something just too long ago to remember

and once in a while there is a touch of wetness there but not enough to leak on the ground

maybe im lazy and accepted what they had to say, nothing to worry about
I wont have to worry about it on the trails, I dont go offroad
so if it blows it will be on the streets, so not a life or death thing

and I cant find any e mail on kawasaki page it all says bring to dealer or call
I would rather be able to send pics to an email

so I dont know maybe if I get bored with the bike long enough to have a week or more downtime I would bring to another place to have them look at it
im thinking maybe they dont want to work on it because its not really leaking constantly
and they wont get paid to fix unless its really leaking
I have no idea how warranties work, I would think they dont want to turn down work if they knew for sure it would get paid for

or they just suck and are lazy?

I guess it wouldnt hurt to get a 2nd opinion from the place close to me
just sucks to loose my only freeway legal bike, I havent had one in 2 years and now its nice to be able to ride places faster if needed

klx4me 11-02-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MikeW (Post 484895)
im thinking maybe they dont want to work on it because its not really leaking constantly

If it's not leaking constantly it's a weep which some manufacturers do not repair under warranty. You'll have to check out the fine print... Document your visits/calls/emails to the dealer & take pictures just in case it's an issue and there's a dispute. Are motor bikes covered by lemon laws?

MikeW 11-02-2012 04:15 PM

yeah I know its like the hole on a car water pump
usually means the seal? or bearing inside is going bad?

I just imagine the seal probably allows a drop through here and there, and it was like this the day I bought the bike before I brought it home. I had thought it was just water spots from them cleaning it because I remember seeing the white spots near the pegs

so its been doing that leak since brand new
im just not sure if its really a problem because its not a constant leak

but I happen to be going to another bike store today so I will see what they say

MikeW 11-03-2012 12:10 AM

went over to another dealer near my house
just to get a 2nd opinion

they also say dont worry I guess they see alot of dirtbikes when super hot leak a little coolant out of that same spot and he said since its based on a dirtbike engine its normal

only worry if its dripping all the time
could be water passing out of the seal