Another "hot starting problems" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like your carb is not adjusted properly...close the air box and just remove the snorkel...2 3/4 sounds like way too much...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
well if you dont have that air screw adj properly, as the first thing to do, why are you looking for help & advise on somehting that is out of tune?
Your fix is to tune the carb.
You're right man, I should have done this first, but since I don't have the kouba screw I thought I would get some useful feedback.

Originally Posted by ahnh666
sounds like your carb is not adjusted properly...close the air box and just remove the snorkel...2 3/4 sounds like way too much...
I thought anything under 3 turns out was normal? I did move it to 2 3/4 turns and it is working much better now with less decel pop. Does the lid off provide less torque, more high end hp? If so, then I will put back on. If it only improves the top end a bit without hurting low/mid revs, then I see no harm leaving it off, but maybe I'm not understanding the effects completely.

Cheers, thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neonarc
You're right man, I should have done this first, but since I don't have the kouba screw I thought I would get some useful feedback.

I thought anything under 3 turns out was normal? I did move it to 2 3/4 turns and it is working much better now with less decel pop. Does the lid off provide less torque, more high end hp? If so, then I will put back on. If it only improves the top end a bit without hurting low/mid revs, then I see no harm leaving it off, but maybe I'm not understanding the effects completely.

Cheers, thanks for your feedback.
For this carb, between 1 and 3 turns out is considered acceptable. I don't think tuning the fuel screw to decel pop is the "proper" method of finding the best position. Many aftermarket exhausts seem to have decel pop, which I've found on mine to be more due to a little air leak into the exhaust system at the header/silencer connection. Tune the fuel screw to the best idle by turning it in/out and finding the highest rpm setting, when the bike is warmed up but not overheating from idling too long. Fairly easy with the T-handle screw, but still do-able without.

IIRC, lid off tends to provide better torque and/or response at lower rpms. There is a bit of controversy though with some tuners discussing better intake velocity with the stock lid and snorkel.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
For this carb, between 1 and 3 turns out is considered acceptable. I don't think tuning the fuel screw to decel pop is the "proper" method of finding the best position. Many aftermarket exhausts seem to have decel pop, which I've found on mine to be more due to a little air leak into the exhaust system at the header/silencer connection. Tune the fuel screw to the best idle by turning it in/out and finding the highest rpm setting, when the bike is warmed up but not overheating from idling too long. Fairly easy with the T-handle screw, but still do-able without.

IIRC, lid off tends to provide better torque and/or response at lower rpms. There is a bit of controversy though with some tuners discussing better intake velocity with the stock lid and snorkel.
Thanks ID, I will leave it off. After riding it for a few days in traffic it feels as good or a bit better than before. This way I can also put it back on when riding down to lower elevations to richen the jetting a bit.

So I followed Marcelino's suggestion and made a short screwdriver. Lower range was 1 turn, upper range was 4 turns, so I left it at 2.5 turns out. After a short test ride, it runs smooth, still struggles to start after a stall but now it does after 3 or 4 tries, improvement from the 5 minutes it was taking before. I will defintely need to check and adjust the valves very soon.

Thank for all the input guys. Cheers!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Five minutes isn't right. The only times I've had to grind on it 3 or 4 times was after a dump and flood. Check those valves. Good luck.