300kit coming this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300kit coming this week

Yeah, I wouldnt be too quick to suggest the KLX in 330cc trim cant run with a DRZ400. I have the KLX in 300 (289cc) trim and it can just about stay with a DRZ400. I bet the 330 will definiately stay with it and as most will admit, it is nimbler in the tight stuff so for smaller or lighter guys its a great way to go.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah..summers not even here yet and i have had thoughts of doing either the 300 or 331 set-up over the next winter, BUT I have a question..at what point do you go to a full exhaust and also at what point do you go to a bigger carb? or do you need to do either?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

why is everyone answering each other with a .............."yeah, well................."

mud- come 300 kit, must come full system.

a 300 or 331 kit will never produce 35 rwhp, what the DRZ's make. The E model makes a smidge more than the SM since it has different cams. That 400 just pops, all you can say about it. It's full of torque the KLX will never have,this side of a stroker kit.
Nobrakes had a 331 kit, it put out 28 rwhp. Stock DRZSM dyno'd power is always 35 rwhp- it's a very consistent engine and it's bulletproof.
331 kit= huge KLX power gains, but not in DRZ territory in the least. FYI, a stock 300 is only putting out around 24 rwhp according to dirt rider mag. Don't knock the DRZ until you've ridden one that can actually hook up. They have arm stretching torque. Now, where are all the DRZ haters at ?
Oh, I can see it now; 5-6 pages tops here?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I want to turn a DRZ 400 into a motard!! Anyone have some lazy cash in a stash they could lend me.........Muhahahahahaha!
Cheers!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Found this on the ADV forum from 06. 13 K RPM and 40Hp at the wheel. Bring on the DRZ.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

01-29-2006, 11:40 PM #279
work750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
KLX250 to 300cc silly season
My last KLX250,

received help from the guy who built the Kawasaki Race team bikes in Australia. It all got a little silly, but fun non the less. Read at your perril.

!. Fitted stock KLX300 barrel
2. Kevin Doyle high comp custom ground piston approx 12.7:1 comp
3. custom ground kevin doyle cams still pulling at 13000RPM nasty
4. Stock ignition opened up to 11750RPM (limited the top HP on my bike)
5. tuff rided (special heat treatment) inlet and exhaust valves
6. D.I.D timing chain ( only need if your going to rev the bejezzus out of it all the time
7. K&N air filter
8. Staintune oversize header and muffler (very loud with cams eh)
9. heavy duty barnett clutch springs
10. revalved resprung forks
11. revalved/stroked rear shock
12. shorter 117mm dog bones
13. FCR35 Keihin, but back to stock KLX250 carby for convenience

I ran this bike in and then took it to the dyno shop. It looked stock and the owner laughed when I told him I thought I would get in excess of 30Hp at the wheel. He even went so far as to show me his hp graphs for stock WR250 Yamaha's. Which on his dyno produced 28Hp at the wheel and 24Nm. The first run on my bike pruduced 34 HP from 8500rpm and 27Nm from about 6500RPM. He fell off his chair and I laughed till I cried. He wouldn't believe it (he thought it was a stock bike with a staintune pipe) so he rebooted the computer on the dyno and we re ran it. Same result and it was funny as it was bouncing off the new 11500 redline at about 170Kph. At this point I had to tell him what I had done. Bear in mind this is with the stock KLX250 carby.

I then fitted up the FCR35 Keihin and we ran it again. I struggled to get the jetting right and it was costing a fortune. But with it running rich all the way through the rev range we got 36Hp and a flat 30Nm. Trouble was it was a pig to ride as I couldn't get the carby right. After about ten million scabbed knuckles, swear words and loss of most of my hair. I went back to the stock carby and sacrificed the few extra hp. The reality is that I'm not fast enought to use it anyway. The civility of the stock carb is like a siren to a sailor. Irresisable.

Kevin ran programable ignitions on the Kawasaki Race bikes and they would not flat line like my bike did from 8500 onwards. However the costs for the programable ECU with the required flywheel mods (loss of electric starter) were too high for me in both $$ and convenience. His bike regularly reved to 13000RPM and they were getting about 40Hp from the 250cc version. YEAH BABY. My bike hit 8500RPM and then held almost the same HP till the rev limiter. The Nm dropped away as the revs increased.

I then got a bit silly and had the frame modded so that I could fit a carby off of a KX250F (Keihin FCR37). The thing looked horn, as the carby was HUGE. However I think it may have been just too big as I could not get it to really pull like the FCR35 or the stock carby. IN the end it was a pointless mod. Fun in hindsite, but a real pain inthe *** when doing it.

Lastely and I guess most importantly. MY bikes were really well looked after. Droped the oil after ever race/enduro/fun day trail riding. Fully synthetic Mutol oil. But they were ridden hard. Not just by me, but by allot of people as the bike got regular use as a demo bike. I did a couple of trips away on it. Twice I did inexcess of 1200KM in one day and the poor little thing was sitting on upwards of 8000RPM for most of it. The Oil actually went off at about 1500Km on a trip away and it would start to use oil. But if I changed it, it wouldn't use any till about 1500Km again. So I figured about 1500Km of sustained high revs is about all the oil would take. While doing this to the bike it would still give me 22Kpl to 25Kpl. These bikes are the sweetest thing about. I wish I had never sold my last one. But I wanted to do more touring and I thought the long KM at high revs would eventually kill it.

Any questions...I am happy to answer. I have probably forgotton a few things if Iremeber, I will post.
ORIGINAL: Leem

The DRZ will still be quicker than the KLX no matter what you do to it.

The KLX is a great bike but it will never top a 400

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Two of my riding buddies have drz's, i have ridden both, i dont like it, i dont know what it is about it.... just isnt for me.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

[sm=interesting.gif]
Found this on the ADV forum from 06. 13 K RPM and 40Hp at the wheel. Bring on the DRZ.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

01-29-2006, 11:40 PM #279
work750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
KLX250 to 300cc silly season
My last KLX250,

received help from the guy who built the Kawasaki Race team bikes in Australia. It all got a little silly, but fun non the less. Read at your perril.

!. Fitted stock KLX300 barrel
2. Kevin Doyle high comp custom ground piston approx 12.7:1 comp
3. custom ground kevin doyle cams still pulling at 13000RPM nasty
4. Stock ignition opened up to 11750RPM (limited the top HP on my bike)
5. tuff rided (special heat treatment) inlet and exhaust valves
6. D.I.D timing chain ( only need if your going to rev the bejezzus out of it all the time
7. K&N air filter
8. Staintune oversize header and muffler (very loud with cams eh)
9. heavy duty barnett clutch springs
10. revalved resprung forks
11. revalved/stroked rear shock
12. shorter 117mm dog bones
13. FCR35 Keihin, but back to stock KLX250 carby for convenience

I ran this bike in and then took it to the dyno shop. It looked stock and the owner laughed when I told him I thought I would get in excess of 30Hp at the wheel. He even went so far as to show me his hp graphs for stock WR250 Yamaha's. Which on his dyno produced 28Hp at the wheel and 24Nm. The first run on my bike pruduced 34 HP from 8500rpm and 27Nm from about 6500RPM. He fell off his chair and I laughed till I cried. He wouldn't believe it (he thought it was a stock bike with a staintune pipe) so he rebooted the computer on the dyno and we re ran it. Same result and it was funny as it was bouncing off the new 11500 redline at about 170Kph. At this point I had to tell him what I had done. Bear in mind this is with the stock KLX250 carby.

I then fitted up the FCR35 Keihin and we ran it again. I struggled to get the jetting right and it was costing a fortune. But with it running rich all the way through the rev range we got 36Hp and a flat 30Nm. Trouble was it was a pig to ride as I couldn't get the carby right. After about ten million scabbed knuckles, swear words and loss of most of my hair. I went back to the stock carby and sacrificed the few extra hp. The reality is that I'm not fast enought to use it anyway. The civility of the stock carb is like a siren to a sailor. Irresisable.

Kevin ran programable ignitions on the Kawasaki Race bikes and they would not flat line like my bike did from 8500 onwards. However the costs for the programable ECU with the required flywheel mods (loss of electric starter) were too high for me in both $$ and convenience. His bike regularly reved to 13000RPM and they were getting about 40Hp from the 250cc version. YEAH BABY. My bike hit 8500RPM and then held almost the same HP till the rev limiter. The Nm dropped away as the revs increased.

I then got a bit silly and had the frame modded so that I could fit a carby off of a KX250F (Keihin FCR37). The thing looked horn, as the carby was HUGE. However I think it may have been just too big as I could not get it to really pull like the FCR35 or the stock carby. IN the end it was a pointless mod. Fun in hindsite, but a real pain inthe *** when doing it.

Lastely and I guess most importantly. MY bikes were really well looked after. Droped the oil after ever race/enduro/fun day trail riding. Fully synthetic Mutol oil. But they were ridden hard. Not just by me, but by allot of people as the bike got regular use as a demo bike. I did a couple of trips away on it. Twice I did inexcess of 1200KM in one day and the poor little thing was sitting on upwards of 8000RPM for most of it. The Oil actually went off at about 1500Km on a trip away and it would start to use oil. But if I changed it, it wouldn't use any till about 1500Km again. So I figured about 1500Km of sustained high revs is about all the oil would take. While doing this to the bike it would still give me 22Kpl to 25Kpl. These bikes are the sweetest thing about. I wish I had never sold my last one. But I wanted to do more touring and I thought the long KM at high revs would eventually kill it.

Any questions...I am happy to answer. I have probably forgotton a few things if Iremeber, I will post.
ORIGINAL: Leem

The DRZ will still be quicker than the KLX no matter what you do to it.

The KLX is a great bike but it will never top a 400

Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats just crazy......

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Have the 300 kit in my hot little hands, I will try and take pics If I don't get overcome by excitement, also have the dynojet on it's way to, should all be going in friday night (aus time) let you know how i go.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

all that work and he's still short of STOCK DRZhorsepower and the torque probably isn't even mentionable. Torque is really what you strive for on a bike over horsepower. If you've never ridden a thumper with torque (which the KLX lacks) you really have no clue to what you're missing out on. It makes the bike go........right now.
Sure, the DRZ is heavy and somewhat tall (the SM isn't) but the engine is a gem. All it lacks is a 6th gear to be the ultimate DS imo.
But, this writeup is a testimony to the stock "crap" carb. It is easily tuneable and makes good power.

Quick Reply: 300kit coming this week