2009 w/ oil leak at cylinder head cover...help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
$100 for the gasket??!! They must have seen you coming or something.. Bike bandit has it for $35 and that's the same price that all dealers should be.. No more than $40.

And as far as labor - if you bring something like this in to a dealer to change, you're asking to get hosed.. It's seriously a 15 minute job if that. If you can turn a wrench and remove three bolts, you can do this.
calm down there larry. ya $40 plus labor. i wouldnt pay that but some would. im sure it takes longer than 15 minutes to take all the plastics off, the tank, take the bolts out, take off the old gasket, put the new one on straight, tighten down the builts criss cross style, put the tank back on, then the plastics. i cant imagine it can be done without taking the tank off. they put on my receipt 45 minutes labor. thats what i figured would take them.

mikey- ya ill talk to him in the next couple days to see if maybe theres a recall or somethin.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

hahaa, I'm calm I just think that $100 fora VC gasket change is insane!

Ok, maybe not 15 mins.. But I'd put money that I could do it in less than 25.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. This summer has been busy as heck for me. I ride the bike to work when I can but no dirt lately. I have been working out of town alot and go to Klamath Falls monthly. I brought the bike with me to ride one day afterwork and boom, oil leak. I am glad it is the gasket rather than me though. If that makes sense. Of course, I wish it happened a couple months back. I have to leave town again for a month in August. I don't plan on having much time to ride between now and then. If 09's buddy thinks they can warranty cover it I'll bring er down to Lee's otherwise I'll deal with it when I get back. I'll probably just order one from bike bandit and do er myself. Thanks again fellas!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
Thanks guys. This summer has been busy as heck for me. I ride the bike to work when I can but no dirt lately. I have been working out of town alot and go to Klamath Falls monthly. I brought the bike with me to ride one day afterwork and boom, oil leak. I am glad it is the gasket rather than me though. If that makes sense. Of course, I wish it happened a couple months back. I have to leave town again for a month in August. I don't plan on having much time to ride between now and then. If 09's buddy thinks they can warranty cover it I'll bring er down to Lee's otherwise I'll deal with it when I get back. I'll probably just order one from bike bandit and do er myself. Thanks again fellas!
Still put the dab of HondaBond in each corner. The stuff is the best in the world.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
My mech only charged me 29.99 for the gasket but that may have been since he changed it while checking the valves anyways. You can do it yourself, I just had mine in the shop already so he did it for me (he said it was shrunk up so bad it would not go back on). I'd advice against planning on just glooping on gasket sealer... I'd go ahead and get the gasket. What happens if you take the cam cover off and the gasket is hosed and you don't have that new gasket ready? Answer: You're sitting around for days waiting for the gasket anyway.
I was a Line tech in a Honda shop for 5 years and it is standard procedure to seal all corners. Not "Gloop" a bunch but just a dab. These gaskets are good for several removal/reinstalls when done correctly. But.... 15-30 bucks is cheap if you feel like a new gasket. Even brand new you need to seal 90 degree corners it's just the way it is. I'm not a salesman for HondaBond but it'll stay right where ya put it. It won't try to mix into your oil. Next time you remove the Head cover, you just peel any excess off the gasket and put another Dab on for reinstallation.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
But I'd put money that I could do it in less than 25.
i could do that while pounding a few beers in the process.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just saying... the problem with these gaskets is they shrink up and do not fit back on after you take it off. Its not a matter of a lack of goop or goop in the wrong places, the gasket itself is actually bad and once you take it off it won't go back on.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Has Kawasaki had a service bulletin or recall notice on this? Any one with an 09 (thats actually been ridden for a while) not having a problem with this?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to get a new gasket. I'm thinking we need to compile a thread on this board with VIN's who experienced this problem. The gasket shrinks or is initially too small. Just adding permatex or whatever helps a bit, but it'll still leak and eventually will go back to the way it was. Trust me the only way you're getting that shrunken gasket back on is with superglue. I know from experience.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Mikey, you should get it fixed right away..warranty or no warranty. Just another example of why I bought the extra 4 year warranty. Hey I was just North of where you were last week. Central Oregon--Millican Valley OHV riding area for 5 days. It was awesome!

Quick Reply: 2009 w/ oil leak at cylinder head cover...help