2009 w/ oil leak at cylinder head cover...help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 w/ oil leak at cylinder head cover...help

I have a small oil leak coming from the front half circle thingy on the right side, cylinder head cover gasket. I want to know what you guys think regarding warrantee, fixing it, and why it happened.

Last weekend I took it riding up to (by truck)from Northern California to Southern Oregon. I left from 600 feet elevation and then rode the bike from 4100 ft to 7000 ft. Klamath Falls to Crater Lake. I am guessing I was at 5000 feet and 1 hour into the ride when I realized it was leaking. The leak is slow and small but you notice it on even a 6 mile ride. As I cleaned it Deej style last night and rode to work today to see where it was coming from. I also changed the oil and filter with fresh mobil 1 which I have been using without problem since 600 miles.

More background - I have 2500 miles on the bike bought June 2008, yes just over a month out of warranty. Unloading it the front tire slipped off the ramp and but it wasn't bad, I have the Utah skid plate. I was riding 50 - 70 mph indicated on the HWY for about an hour when I noticed it. I probably had a hair too much oil in it. I used 1.5 quarts last change but it was pretty high in the sight glass.

I only see oil leaking on the right side, coming out of the half round thing on the cylinder head cover. Any thoughts? When the warranty is up - the warranty is up right? Has anyone else had an oil leak there?

Last edited by mikey113; 07-15-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are still under warranty, they should fix it. Its a known problem... the common hypothesis is a bad batch of gaskets. For whatever reason they shrink up and no longer fit correctly. The leak may start out small but it'll eventually start weeping oil like a chick watching "The Notebook"

I was a dope and didn't think to take it to the dealer under warranty SO I had to pay for a gasket when my mech checked my valves... and it ain't a cheap gasket, by any stretch of the word.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

You can probably stop the leak with a bit of gasket sealer. It takes like a minute and a half to pull the valve cover off.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, as I mentioned I am a month and a half OUT of warranty. I may find some adults supervision and try Larry's technique. Cliffsta about what should I expect to pay for the gasket?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

yo mikey how many miles you at? i had 5400 miles on my bike when it did the same exact same (im still under warranty). it only gets worse and oil gets everywhere. im asuming u got your bike at lee's even though your out of warranty i know steve the guy at the service depart and my good friend kevin is a mechanic there. ill talk to kevin and see if he can hook u up. i mean even though your out of warranty if u have less miles than i do they should do somethin about it. but if you didnt get it at lee's it'll cost ya a few bucks probly 100 bucks or so foe them to do it. good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

$100 for the gasket??!! They must have seen you coming or something.. Bike bandit has it for $35 and that's the same price that all dealers should be.. No more than $40.

And as far as labor - if you bring something like this in to a dealer to change, you're asking to get hosed.. It's seriously a 15 minute job if that. If you can turn a wrench and remove three bolts, you can do this.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Hondabond in the corners will fix it. just a tiny dab on each of the inside corners.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

09 - I got it in the Bay area not Lee's. It won't hurt to talk to them though since it seems to be a known issue. Have they done a recall on this or anything? What a bunch of crap, I was thinking it was something I had done. Do you have to remove the gas tank to do it yourself?

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

My mech only charged me 29.99 for the gasket but that may have been since he changed it while checking the valves anyways. You can do it yourself, I just had mine in the shop already so he did it for me (he said it was shrunk up so bad it would not go back on). I'd advice against planning on just glooping on gasket sealer... I'd go ahead and get the gasket. What happens if you take the cam cover off and the gasket is hosed and you don't have that new gasket ready? Answer: You're sitting around for days waiting for the gasket anyway.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

easy job, did it my self, just dont over tighten the bolts cus they break easy. the 09s have had problems with the stock gaskets, just get a replacement at the shop and some hondabond/black rtv and your good.

Quick Reply: 2009 w/ oil leak at cylinder head cover...help