1st ride with KK 330, Michelin AC-10s

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Oldphart wrote "never no who's packing heat and going to go Postal on ya" Aren't you postal already lostnite66 (mailman)? lol Well oldphart's right, you did the right thing, it's hard to do, but you probably saved yourself alot of trouble letting the idiots go. I like to think that what comes around goes around, maybe he went two blocks down the road and rear ended a cop=) Hey all that aside the bike looks real nice, those are some agressive looking tires.

Last edited by dan888; 01-04-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Have fun today if you get it out. I'm not sure if you have salt on the roads but if you do get it off as soon as possible after your ride.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Does the 330 require premium fuel or can you run 87 octane?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
and raise the bike up to pre '09 levels like I plan to do this spring.

LOL, yeah, like buy a 06 / 07 your killing me Forrest!!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lostnite66
Right as I was pulling in, the fuktard drove by, beed his horn, and gave me the finger for abou 4 seconds. I am totally oblivious to what could have angered him so much.

I wonder if Kawi makes any anti fuctard accessories.......

Name:  Combat-motorcycle.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  11.8 KB

Something tells me the rider of THIS BIKE get's far more respect and probably never even has need for his defensive mods.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 01-04-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Make the image link work - need to fool the kf filtering
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Luck with the bike and forget the loser in the car! He is just jealous that he cannot be out riding! My 300 barrel is a KK right now getting the 330cc treatment done to it. I also ported and polished my head while I have the bike a part! I am installing new intake valves in mine since they started to close up. I also have a TM36-68 on order to go along with the whole thing! I hope to have it all back together my MLK day!

Later Dennis

Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey super .... do you mind posting pics how you ported and polished the head, does one need machine shop tools to do this....whats the scoop.

Oh if it is some secret type of thing no biggie.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, it kept on raining lightly and misting as I sat at home watching the Dolphins and Ravens. I felt like I didn't want to be defeated by the weather, so I said the hell with it, and suited up anyway. As I warmed up the bike, the rain/mist stopped briefly. Things were looking up. I rode off and about 20% of the way to my trails (about 8 miles each way) it started misting again, kind of hard if you can picture that. I had my street bike helmet on with the shield up so I could see, all the mist kind of stung my face the faster I went (which wasn't too fast).

The tires sounded loud on the pavement, and were a bit wobbly feeling, not confidence inspiring like the stock tires. If you ride 90% on the steet and only hit the trails under ideal conditions, stay away from Michelin AC-10s, you will hate them. There was a weird noise coming from the front tire when accelerating from 25mph to 35mph on the pavement. I even pulled over to make sure the tire wasn't damged, but it was fine and dandy. It kind of freaked me out, but these are brand new tires (knobbies, pretty much), so maybe that will go away once they're broken in. The roads were wet, that might be a factor, I don't know.

On my way to the trails I was on a long straight part of the road with no traffic cruising in the low 40s. I kept blipping the throttle, happy with the way the bike was accelerating in what I thought was 4th or 5th gear. Then I decided to just cruise to the next stoplight in sixth gear. I tried to upshift, but it wouldn't budge. I tried again, still no go. I started freaking out again, did they screw up my transmission!? As I approached the stoplight I started downshifting, hoping for 5 good downshifts. I got them. I was in 6th afterall.
I guess I just wasn't used to the bike haviny any accelerating power in 6th gear, so that's were I felt a big power difference. It was so wet today that I upshifted quickly through the gears keeping the rpms low so I wouldn't get into traction problems with the new tires and wet ground.

Once I got to the trails I saw the main gate that you can't get through if you don't know the combination to the lock was down. I got my hopes up that there were other people there braving the weather, even though I didn't here any other bikes. I rode up the hill to the parking area, and nobody was there. There is a small section of trails that is in an opening with some small jumps and even a berm, but that area is usually the muddiest since it isn't sheilded from the trees. I tired that section out, because I rode there before with my stock tires, and I couldn't get any traction whatsover then. It was even muddier today, and I still had a very difficult time riding over this terrain. Better ***** does not always translate into being able to easily ride through slippery mud. But it helped, I could feel the bike plowing through the mud instead of only spinning out on top of it. There was a definite bite. Big improvement over stock tires in the slop.

I didn't ride there very long, the conditions were too treacherous to be riding alone, even on the easy trails. So my ride report is far from conclusive on the tires or big bore kit, but later on in 2009 I should have a lot more to report. We are expecting bad winter weather this week, so I expect it to be a while before I get another real ride in.

Here are a couple of pics, it's tough to see how muddy and misty it was. In this first pic if you look close you can see some trail markers on two trees for a hare scrambles race held here in November. One more thing, I have these brown/tan hightop Icon motorcycle shoes that I wore, hated to get them all muddy. They are pretty cool to wear when street riding or light dry trail cruising. Not really meant to get dirty, I like them because I can take the bike for a ride somewhere and stop at a store or restaurant without having big biking boots on. I don't know where my old motocross type boots are, buried deeply in my garage I think, didn't care for them much back in the day anyway. I have SIDI Discoveries on order, due to arrive January 5th, 2009; a day too late, do'h! Hope I didn't wreck my Icons too much.

Name:  IMG_0690.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  232.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  182.9 KB

Originally Posted by Flood_33
AC-10's are a good tire, you wont be disappointed!

Flood,
Cool!, They are trickier on the street but should be geat in the dirt from what I've been hearing.

Originally Posted by dan888
Aren't you postal already lostnite66 (mailman)? lol Well oldphart's right, you did the right thing, it's hard to do, but you probably saved yourself alot of trouble letting the idiots go.
Yep, I thought about that too when I read it. If that idiot knew where I work, he would have backed off, I could snap any second!!

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Have fun today if you get it out. I'm not sure if you have salt on the roads but if you do get it off as soon as possible after your ride.
Thanks, I had a little bit of fun despite the wet weather, but there is no snow yet, so it could have been worse.

Originally Posted by Flingit1200s
Does the 330 require premium fuel or can you run 87 octane?
I haven't been informed on that, but I'll look for the instructions and see what it says about gas grade. I tend to put 93 octane in it anyway, I don't really commute with it much (yet).

Originally Posted by horizonod
I wonder if Kawi makes any anti fuctard accessories.......
Something tells me the rider of THIS BIKE get's far more respect and probably never even has need for his defensive mods.
I'm sure that would have changed his attitude a bit. It would change many people's attitudes I think, lol!

Originally Posted by SuperHawk
Good Luck with the bike and forget the loser in the car! He is just jealous that he cannot be out riding! My 300 barrel is a KK right now getting the 330cc treatment done to it. I also ported and polished my head while I have the bike a part! I am installing new intake valves in mine since they started to close up. I also have a TM36-68 on order to go along with the whole thing! I hope to have it all back together my MLK day!

Later Dennis
Cool, I might get a carb some day if it doesn't change the bike's willingness to crawl way down low on tight single track trails. Your bike will run like a banshee!

Last edited by lostnite66; 01-05-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to say, I kept having problems on the ride back with the right side mirror moving out of position. It did feel like there was more vibration with the new bars, 330 kit, and tires. Perhaps that's what caused it. After stopping 4 times to readjust it only to have it come loose again, I took it all the way out and got it to where it was tight enough in the correct position when I put it back in.