RAC ride (with 330 & pumper ride report)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RAC ride (with 330 & pumper ride report)

I am heading up to RAC (Pottsville, PA) tomorrow, Does anyone here know where to park/start?

Anyone intersted in riding there tomorrow?

Scott

Old 05-25-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: RAC Northeast riding?

Well I didn't take a camera but, I had a great time up by Shamokin, PA. Went by myself and just looked for places other people parked. there are soooo many places to ride up there it is crazy and it's only 1 1/2 hours from my house!
I started talking with 2 other riders, one was on a kx125 2smoke and the other was on a yz250 2smoke so, We rode together most of the day. My KLX330 & pumper ran awesome all day and kept up with them easily. I had the two kids I was riding with (they were like 15 or 16, kids to me, I am 40 lol) race me up this long dirt road to see if the klx330 could keep up with the yz250 & kx125 and it was really close, the yz beat me by a little bit but, not much and the kx125 was close behind me. I wonder how many horse a yz250 is? The klx really impressed me today with all that I have done to it, I even did some decent jumps with out bottoming out. It was so worth putting better springs in the front. I dumped it kinda hard once, there was a tree leaning over the right track of double track We were on and when I tried to quickly miss the tree the bike stayed in the right track and I went down pretty hard. So glad I where all the protective gear, neither the bike or I got hurt. I did some cool hill climbs too, I really stink at hill climbs and it was fun to practice on the loss gravel/soot hills because if You don't make it to the top You just let the rear tire dig a little bit and then turn the bike around and go back down the hill...
I hope to head up there again either next weekend or so if anybody is interested in going let me know...
Scott

Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a cool place to ride. Are they strict about the permits up there or doesn't anyone really care.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I have heard other people say that buying a permit is a waste and after riding up there I have to agree that having a permit (which I do) seems silly because You ride so many places that there is no way to know which piece of land is actually rac land... I don't blame people for not buying permits but, if it helps just a tiny bit to save that riding area, then I will probably keep buying the permit.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha Ha....nice report. The lil klx with a few cc's and a pumper is fun.If you stayed ahead of a 110 lb kid on a 125 2-smoke you did really well.

Which pumper did you get? ..... If it's an fcr what are your settings.

Now if we could just get some decent electronic advance....we'd be set.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The carb is a Bill Blue modified TM33. Bill Blue set it up for my altitude and I had an mx mechanic install the big bore & carb. The mechanic said He didn't have to change anything to get it to run good. If I run it close to full throttle in 5th gear (75 to 80 mph) for like a minute or more and then let off the throttle it lets out a loud backfire? I don't need to run the bike at those rpm's/speeds for extended periods of time so, I don't want to fatten up the top end... It runs so well the way it is I don't want to mess with the carb, it starts great cold or hot, even when I dumped hard yesterday to my surprise it started right up. It could be a little lean because the mileage seems a little high, I put 32 off road miles on it and it only took .75 gallons to fill it up. On road I get 60 to 62 mpg which seems a little high too? (that is running 15/42 gearing though)

Old 05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I get about 50 mpg with the 13/42 gearing.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

About 50 here too, with 14/45.......what top end can you get with the 15/42

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

"what top end can you get with the 15/42"

I don't know 80-85mph is as fast as "I" am willing to go on this little bike...lol

Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I run out of rpm in 6th with mine also the same with the 14/42

Quick Reply: RAC ride (with 330 & pumper ride report)