330 + stock carb = jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 330 + stock carb = jetting?

Now since I've joined the 330 Big Bore Club, I am wondering who also is running the 330 w/stock carb, and what jetting you are running.

Right now I have dropped in a #132. It seems to run fine, but the exhaust shows a brownish look which tells me to jet up.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 330 + stock carb = jetting?

Tony,

Wish that I could help ya, but I had the Bill Blue TM34 on before going to the big bore. If you haven't all ready done so, do the stock carb mods (N1TC needle, drill slide, etc). I suspect that you'll need to go up at least one MJ size and raise the needle from stock displacement settings. You'll probably have to up the pilot jet too.

Starting off rich is much better than the other way around.

I lived on Whidbey for a while, great country and I miss the mussels. Fresh Red Hook ESB too!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to stray off the subject just a bit, but the more you go up on displacement, the bigger difference a pumper will make. Just sayin

Nobrakes ran with the CVK and 331 for long enough go give us an impression, so maybe he will weigh-in soon and get you in the ball park for jetting. I'll have to get on my soapbox again though and say that he noticed very little difference between 300 and 331cc until he added the pumper. Juuuuussssst saaaaayyyyin!

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Now since I've joined the 330 Big Bore Club, I am wondering who also is running the 330 w/stock carb, and what jetting you are running.

Right now I have dropped in a #132. It seems to run fine, but the exhaust shows a brownish look which tells me to jet up.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I can't remember my exact settings on the CVK, but I think I had a 130, and needle on the 3rd clip. At that time, I think I had the airbox with the high flow snorkel installed. This seemed to run well, but I didn't take a whole lot of time to try and fine tune it because I had the FCR to install.

Actually, tremor, the 331 made a big difference over the 300cc even with the CVK. It was just that after installing the FCR, the instant snap just off the throttle was, well, it was actually there. Mid-range pull with the two carbs was very comparable.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Presant stats: from 14/48 to 14/42 gears, great torque improvement with the 330 and can run 6th gear down to 3500rpm and take right off again. Carb is set with the stock needle raised .050, I found it a much smoother needle than the N1TC at any setting. 40 pilot, 2 turns on the air screw, drilled slide(#30), and a 1/4" off the spring. K&N filter, lid on no snorkle and Muzzy, which sounds really beefy now.

I'm not looking for a complete wheel standing dirt bike, but a reliable, strong single tracker that loves freeway speeds.

FYI, I went with the 330 because with 12000 miles and 3 submarine ventures, I was using a lot of oil. Running 9K+ on the freeway for hours at a time also wears things out rather quickly. So with this new power and stock gearing, I'm hoping for a longer service interval.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Since you are back to running the stock gearing, while probably not a big consideration, you might even seen a gas mileage improvement due to the lower RPMs even though you have the bigger jets.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Actually, tremor, the 331 made a big difference over the 300cc even with the CVK. It was just that after installing the FCR, the instant snap just off the throttle was, well, it was actually there. Mid-range pull with the two carbs was very comparable.

OK, I guess I must have interpreted your postwrong. It seemedlike your impression of the 331 was pretty luke warm until you put the FCR on. I might be remembering wrong though.Musthave been that your goal was more wheelie power

Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

OK, I guess I must have interpreted your post wrong. It seemed like your impression of the 331 was pretty luke warm until you put the FCR on. I might be remembering wrong though. Must have been that your goal was more wheelie power
No, I think I did mention that way back when. You see, my standard test after mods was no clutch, no bar pulling, throttle wheelies. The pumper carb made a huge difference in that test. But overall and especially mid-range performance, the CVK performed pretty well as far as I could tell. Granted, I had it on for only like one ride though, since I was jonesin to put the FCR on. Which did make a big difference, but I don't want the wrong impression that the 331 was not worth it if you don't have a pumper - it's a great upgrade, pumper or not. The carb just makes it even better.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Roger dodger!

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: tremor38

OK, I guess I must have interpreted your postwrong. It seemedlike your impression of the 331 was pretty luke warm until you put the FCR on. I might be remembering wrong though.Musthave been that your goal was more wheelie power
No, I think I did mention that way back when. You see, my standard test after mods was no clutch, no bar pulling, throttle wheelies. The pumper carb made a huge difference in that test. But overall and especially mid-range performance, the CVK performed pretty well as far as I could tell. Granted, I had it on for only like one ride though, since I was jonesin to put the FCR on. Which did make a big difference, but I don't want the wrong impression that the 331 was not worth it if you don't have a pumper - it's a great upgrade, pumper or not. The carb just makes it even better.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I see. You should be happy with the 331 and stock gearing. I have the 300 jug with aftermarket cams and am very happy with the improvement. There are many hills that I used to go up in 5th that I can easily climb in 6th now.

Sounds like you've got'er dialed-in pretty well now. Did you measure how far three notches on the N1TC was then add shims accordingly or did you kind of 'guesstimate?'

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Presant stats: from 14/48 to 14/42 gears, great torque improvement with the 330 and can run 6th gear down to 3500rpm and take right off again. Carb is set with the stock needle raised .050, I found it a much smoother needle than the N1TC at any setting. 40 pilot, 2 turns on the air screw, drilled slide(#30), and a 1/4" off the spring. K&N filter, lid on no snorkle and Muzzy, which sounds really beefy now.

I'm not looking for a complete wheel standing dirt bike, but a reliable, strong single tracker that loves freeway speeds.

FYI, I went with the 330 because with 12000 miles and 3 submarine ventures, I was using a lot of oil. Running 9K+ on the freeway for hours at a time also wears things out rather quickly. So with this new power and stock gearing, I'm hoping for a longer service interval.

Quick Reply: 330 + stock carb = jetting?