1st dump of my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1st dump of my KLX

There's a few different points being made in this post and it's getting kinda sloppy.
Point #1: Get away from the bike in a wreck cause it'll EFF you up when you get all twisted up in it. Very Valid Point.
Point #2: We all want to see our bikes look pretty but that's just not always possible after a crash.
Point #3: Some people drive on the edge and some just putt putt around enjoying the scenery.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

We all have different opinions when it comes to personal safety and how our bikes look.

I am very particular with stuff.
I keep my car and road bike spotless.
I will look around for a parking spot that minimises the chance of a scratch no matter how far i have to walk.
Drives "her in doors" to distraction especially if it's raining.

But the KLX for me is a dirt bike that can go on the road.
Very well maintained but I don't worry about it's appearance.
If I worried about that, I wouldn't enjoy trail riding so much.
If I used the bike to get around the streets on, it might be different.

And as i'm getting older, I am not pushing the limits.
Since a bad crash about 3 years back I have pulled my head in a bit a ride with a bit more caution.
I still fall from time to time, but not at speed.
Usually trying to get over or around something.
Pride the main casualty.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I learn something new on each ride that we take. On this ride out to Pachacho Peak, off of CAS34 and heading towards the Colorado River, (near YUma, AZ). We had already crossed some rather challenging aroyos, steep ravines, sand washes that lasted forever, and after about two hours of riding towards the Colorado River and the State RV park that is situated along side the river we finally encountered the "Iron Ranger". We all paid our fees and ventured on. Some of the gang decided to eat their lunch before leaving the "Iron Ranger" area. I told them that I would go on ahead to see what the weather had done to our roadway. You can see what I encountered.

There was no way around this morass. [:'(]The Salt Cedar bushes were so thick that you couldn't really even walk between them!

As you can see, there had been Jeep and truck typesthrough ahead of me. The surface was slicker than snot! I chose the middle ground because there was standing water still in the tire troughs.I tried desparetly to maintain a smooth power and steadyhandle bar line. About half way through the slime I did a 360 and decided to 'eject'. I could barely walk on what was left of the roadway. The rest of our riders hadn't arrived yet. I looked all over the place trying to find a way around this mess for them, but there was none! When the rest of the gang arrived they stopped short of the mess trying to figure a way around.

Jenny Morgan, from the UK and riding a 650 Honda said that we should all take the wet route!! She said that she had done it many times and showed us how it should be done successfully. She was right! I'd have never "thunk it"!!

And, now you know what we learned on this ride. By the by, that's Jenny lifting my bike up from the mud and she alsorode it out for me. For the record, if you look hard to the rear and left of the picture you'll see me still trying to find a path out of the mess that continued for another 1/4 mile or so.

Ride Safe!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow Rod that looks hardcore, I don't know if I would have tried it, you definitely got skills.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Wow Rod that looks hardcore, I don't know if I would have tried it, you definitely got skills.
Thanks!! Appreciate your comments.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I've seemed to notice that I crash more when I second guess myself at the last second and try to change lines then just going for it.

I'll agree with the "save yourself first" mentality, but this is something that I personallyneed to work on more.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I've crashed my KLX pretty good more than once - and nothing has ever been broke on it. I think it's a pretty stout bike.

Just the other day I was cresting a boulder, and didn't realize it but the boulder dropped straight down about 5ft.

If I thought a little quicker, I would have dropped a gear, WOT, and launched off it.

But I slowed down, and went straight down, rolled over the handlebars, and ate dirt. The bike was fine! I was seeing stars though! hahaa

Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CousinLarry

I've crashed my KLX pretty good more than once - and nothing has ever been broke on it. I think it's a pretty stout bike.

Just the other day I was cresting a boulder, and didn't realize it but the boulder dropped straight down about 5ft.

If I thought a little quicker, I would have dropped a gear, WOT, and launched off it.

But I slowed down, and went straight down, rolled over the handlebars, and ate dirt. The bike was fine! I was seeing stars though! hahaa
When you least expect it .... that's when it usually will happen!
ride safe!