1st dump of my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1st dump of my KLX

ORIGINAL: tremor38

I couldn't agree more with the 'get away from the bike,' or should say 'save yourself first' philosophy.

When I rode a sport bikes, I watched a friend of mine on a Harley wipe outin front of me in a gravelparking lot. He ended-up with his leg pinned between the bike and the gravel and with a healthy case of road rash. When he told me he was glad he stayedwith the bike and saved the paint on the side cover with his leg, I couldn't help but reply "you dumbazz!" I've never understood that mentality.
Again, Dean & NB,

That's what I'm talking about! Buddy of mine bought a Go Fast, Copper colored brand new Kawasaki, Harley look-a-like. It had all the chrome do-dads and, of course, the leather fringes hanging out of the handle bars with the chrome teardrop headlight... Get the picture?

Now, as to his attire, he had the requisite sleeveless leather jacket, the no finger leather gloves, some nice Levis' with the necessary sunglasses and the barely legal **** helmet. We dirt riders told him that he's riding the most dangerous type of terrain that he could possibly be on and you have virtually no protection for your "Bod"! Got all the goodies for the bike and nothing for the rider. "Ain't my kind of riding friends", He said to us. .... and you know where this is going, RIGHT?

It wasn'ta week later when he rode into our camp in his Jeep, (with his wife driving him as a passenger). He looked like he had been dragged down the Interstate behind a fast moving vehicle. Road rash from head to toes. First words out of his mouth? "The bike looks worse than I do!"

It wasn't long afterwards when he was sporting all the good riding gear that we dirt riders had advised him to buy earlier ... the gearwas purchased after it was needed. Kinda like getting a fire extinguisher after the fire!!

Preparing for possibilities just makes good sense, I think...

Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Good advice, 002. We all make mistakes every now and then, even the pros go down.

Some days "the force" is just too weak.[8D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZnI47WYmGo

Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vlodpg

Going up my driveway tocircle around to get the mail.While looping aroundI almost hit the curb(should have powered thru) the forward momentum ended, and my rightfoot couldn't reach the ground. When it did, the bike wasat almost at a 45degree & down I went.
Thank God I had my (brothers)helmet on or I would have cracked my melon as it hit the pavement.
My wife & mom came outto help me get the bike off[of me],but they just helped me straighten the wheel so I could clear my foot without further damage to the bike.

I told my brother I would replace his helmet (Shoei) with a new one as his took a blow. He told me not to worry about it but I think even though Iwasn't moving forward & didn't hit hard, I probably should replace it.

All in all, zero MPH & probably all of a $500 accident betweenthe helmet & hard parts.I wonder if my Geico comp will cover it?
Hey VLODPG, not picking on ya brother, but your opening remarks hit me where it smarts. I hope that you take no offense to my comments, nor to my 'editing' your original remarks. I did the editing to emphasize what I saw as a problem for a lot of us that love our 'green machines', and we sure don't intentionally want to 'damage the pretty thing', do we? The person on the bike is far more valuable than any bike component and that is why I felt the need to 'pontificate' on the issue that I saw as a dangerous inclination that many of our forum members are subject to.

Nope, Geico "Comprehensive" won't cover your "Collision".... sorry. [:@]And, if you report it, irrespective of how minor their payment of your claim may turn out to be after your deductible is considered, it will go against your insurance record as an incurred loss. I wouldn't advise a report of the loss. I assume that the loss incurred was minimal in terms of dollars needed to put things right again. Your brothers personal property is not covered by your policy, but it is covered by his policy though. It could have been a gift to you from your brother, in which case it would be your property and therefore covered by your policy. If it is reported as you stated originally, 'tain't covered!(Ispent 30 years in the insurance business as an agent.)

Ride safe!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

lots of points of views flying around.... I know when im out we got usually about 30 mph in the woods... and the crap i ride, thats flying... you want to learn how to ride good off road on a bike? Ride a mountain bike on the same trails you ride the klx... that will teach you alot of things... thats where my skills came from... I highly agree that you have to know how to fall, Last year i was riding my mountain bike in my little town, bunny hopping off a curb, tire didnt have enough air in it, and the bike slid from under me and down i went on asphalt probably 10-15mph... i got messed up pretty bad, road rash from my elbow to my shoulder blade, messed up both palms, but i knew what was coming and i knew how to roll with it so it wasnt as bad as it could have been..... if the bike goes down... jump away from it.... i cant tell you have many times i have gone over the bars on the klx.... I dont wear a chest pretector but probably should... me and my buddy were flying down the grown over trail and there was a branch sticking out like a spear, (1 1/2" diameter).... if he wouldnt have had his chest pretector on... bad news... it threw him off the other side of the bike, i bet it would be the closest ive seen to what a joust would do... ride hard, learn how to fall... and you will hurt alot les...

Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

lots of points of views flying around.... I know when im out we got usually about 30 mph in the woods... and the crap i ride, thats flying... you want to learn how to ride good off road on a bike? Ride a mountain bike on the same trails you ride the klx... that will teach you alot of things... thats where my skills came from... I highly agree that you have to know how to fall, Last year i was riding my mountain bike in my little town, bunny hopping off a curb, tire didnt have enough air in it, and the bike slid from under me and down i went on asphalt probably 10-15mph... i got messed up pretty bad, road rash from my elbow to my shoulder blade, messed up both palms, but i knew what was coming and i knew how to roll with it so it wasnt as bad as it could have been..... if the bike goes down... jump away from it.... i cant tell you have many times i have gone over the bars on the klx.... I dont wear a chest pretector but probably should... me and my buddy were flying down the grown over trail and there was a branch sticking out like a spear, (1 1/2" diameter).... if he wouldnt have had his chest pretector on... bad news... it threw him off the other side of the bike, i bet it would be the closest ive seen to what a joust would do... ride hard, learn how to fall... and you will hurt alot les...
Hey EMS, nice to also have you on board with this one, our newer riders are who I'm especially concerned for. I suppose that it goes without my commentary from me that many of them are taking "ADVICE" WHERE THEY CAN GET IT. This forum is definitely a considered and a seasoned 'voice' to many of us/them.

With regard to your speed comment, (and mine earlier), the speeds that we "blast" those trails with is, on average 18 mph, according to my buddy Dale who monitors my comments from his lurking post. (Unlike me, he's a man of very few words,,, and an EXPERT Class rider.) Dale says that his Garmin and the Vapor recorded rides average speed at 18 mph, and tops usually at 25 to 45. The 45 mph is on the flats headed back to camp where we can see the cold ones waiting on us! Ha.

It was kind of you to pitch in your two cents on the subject, especially when some oher seniors seemed to feel that the best 'tact to take was simply not to fall, expounding on how often it hasn't happend to them , ...... yet!

Ride safe,

Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I keep getting the feeling some of the posts are directed toward me. I'm not sure I understand why. Just because I refuse to wreck my bike and that I don't dump it every time I go out riding doesn't mean I don't know how to "get off" my bike. I take care of the stuff I buy period! Everyone can razz me for having a clean bike, but that's only because I work hard and can not afford to fix broken stuff. I also take pride in the fact that my stuff, while I enjoy it immensely over the years still looks good. If that makes me a "noob after 8000 miles then ok I'll be a noob. But remember this, the KLX is not the first bike I've owned in the last 30 years, but I'm pretty sure it will be the last as long as I show it respect. Now all of that being said, I certainly don't look down on anyone who rides harder than me and puts thier bike down, I'm more than confident that my day will come and probably more than once, and I'm also sure that I can get off without practicing it, but until that day comes, I will continue to be careful whether on the blacktop, the gravel or the trails.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i wasnt referring to anyone, just stating my point of view... and how i ride, some of the guys i ride with just lolly gag along... and then there are a few of us that go as fast as we can, I like to call it "riding the line" between crashing and i can push it some more...

To each thier own, i respect others views, but for me to have fun, its gotta be fast! oh and muddy....

Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dude i gotta give 002197rp alot of credit.... i only wish to be able to ride a dirt bike when im in my 70's.... thats awsome man....[sm=icon_rock.gif] I got 50 years to get there....

Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't worry about it, be thankful that you have a sweet ride. I dumped my 07 the first time on the trail. Bent the brake lever into the shape of a bannana. Looks way more cool than before. You just have to get it out of the way at sometime.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a few words. Seven bikes, 30 years, one spill on a patch of ice.

Quick Reply: 1st dump of my KLX