1st dump of my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1st dump of my KLX

I'm with Deej on this one. Riding so hard that crashing is inevitable is not my idea of fun either. I have enough aches and pains without self induced pain. I come close to danger from time to time but I try to let up before calamity hits. Oh, and that klr remark, that's ME[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 002197rp

For the record, I'm 72 years young. This is my 5th bike and I'm still having a ball with it, the dirt,and my riding buddies.
Now I am impressed.
Way to go.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klrjr

I'm with Deej on this one. Riding so hard that crashing is inevitable is not my idea of fun either. I have enough aches and pains without self induced pain. I come close to danger from time to time but I try to let up before calamity hits. Oh, and that klr remark, that's ME[sm=boosign.gif]
KLRJR, Don't get me wrong.. we aren't trying to dump the bikes on purpose... but we sure aren't riding a paved road with yellow lines either! The trails that we ride will dictate how aggressive you have to be to negotiate the ride. Sometimes we mount a rise in the trail only to discover that some animal has excavated a backhoe size hole in the trail!! [:'(]We always keep a sharp eye on the guy, or gal, in front... that's where we get the message as to how to negotiate the upcoming event. As far as to speed, if we hit 40mph we're really smoking it! Average speed is between 25 to 35 with boo coo dust in the face usually. HA! Going down and up those super steep ravines can get a bit frightening the first few times, but when you know how to "get off" safely, it sure adds to your confidence and to your safety. I always try to refresh the newbies by reminding them that these are called "street legal dirt bikes" not "dirt legal street bikes". Our average daily winter ride is about 60 to 80 miles. Inspite of the falls that many of us take each day, "knock wood", no one has come home with much more than a scratch here or there.... but we always return with the ear to ear smile as westart planning the next days ride while we enjoy some cold ones together.

You better be able to take a fall safely, 'cause you can bet your **** that it's gonna happen. You've heard the saying, "Those that have and those that are gonna fall" Right? That's reality, my friend.

Ride safe,

Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I guess for me there are several reasons that I don't dump my bike, but let me say first off, that I know it will happen, but for me I try an avoid aggressive off road riding for a variety of reasons. I'll list them in order of importance.

1. I can't afford to fix anything on the bike, and I still owe a lot on it since I put all my gear and mods on the card.
2. I love my family with all my heart, and even though just getting on the bike is a risk, I try and minimize the accident/broken bone risk by always riding within my skill and mental limits.
3. I have to work everyday, its not just a job, there is nobody to replace me and I love what I do, and that I am taking care of my family.
4. When Ibuy something I have always taken care of it, and in fact while well used, what I have looks relatively new even years later.I mean I still have aRealistic 10w boom box I bought new in 1982 for $249.00, and it still looks new and works great.
5. Also when I buy something, I almost never sell it and so I want my bike to look ad run great when I'm 70+ years old.
6. Last but not least, it hurts to fall

Now all of that being said, I certainly hope I haven't or will never criticize those who ride and fall, and on the same token I hope everyone respects me for the way I ride and take care of my bike. Its all good, peace all.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and I almost left out, I have a huge smile on my face everytime I ride, especially when I make it home every day without breaking anything on me or the bike. Happiness for me is not dependant on what happens on the ride, but rather just the ride in itself.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Oh and I almost left out, I have a huge smile on my face everytime I ride, especially when I make it home every day without breaking anything on me or the bike. Happiness for me is not dependant on what happens on the ride, but rather just the ride in itself.
Just so my friends on this site do not misunderstand my comments.... Falling will happen, to some it will happen often, to others it will only occur rarely. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN! I'M JUST TRYING TO PROMOTE THE NEEDED SKILL OF HOW TO DO IT AS SAFELY AS IS POSSIBLE, I, FOR ONE, COULD DEFINITELY CARE LESS ABOUT HOW TO DO A "WHEELIE OR A BURNOUT", [:-]BUT I SURE WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET OFF, safely, WHEN APPROPRIATE.

My recollection of the initial comment of this thead was that the rider fell into a curb and tried to"save or protect the bike from damage". There followed numerous comments regarding how often many of the sites members have taken those "soil samples". I merely wanted to caution the newer folks, especially, that a needed skill that should bedeveloped is how to fall safely. I don't suggest that the learningprocess be attempted on purpose, but be prepared mentally, to "Get off and Get away" when it does happen.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good advice, 002. We all make mistakes every now and then, even the pros go down.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been down 5 or 6 times in the year that I've owned my KLX. Only once on the street where I had to stop short to avoid a crazy woman in a minivan. Hurt my leg bad but the KLX didn't even get a scratch. My mirrors are bent a bit but I love the stock mirrors. They protect the rest of the bike quite well when dropped. Just don't feel like you have to push yourself because people say you should. Have fun and be as careful as possible while having as much fun as possible.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Good advice, 002. We all make mistakes every now and then, even the pros go down.
NB, Thanks for the support on this one!

Me thinks that some have missed the point I've tried to make in my three previous attempts. Hey, that thing that we all love so much with the two wheels and the go fast motor, and that we want to so desparately protect, weighs at a minimum, 262 lbs! Probably closer to 300 lbs fitted out for our rides! With rare exception, that's more than the rider will weigh. Now add in some MPH's and we have a recipe for eventual calamity, if not disaster.

Remember: Asphalt is very hard and given a choice, I'd ride that puppy like a dead horse if I had to before I'd let it ride me.

And... in the dirt I just try to get safely away. On a ride in the White Mountain OHV trails of Northern California, (out near Bear Valley),I've had my oldDRZ400s 'tween my legs with that damned hot exhaust pipeon the inside of my legs, and pinning me to the dirt. My boot top was inside of the frame member, my back was against the 4 foot dirt ridge and, putting it politely, I shortly recognized that I was screwed!

My KTM and Yammi buddies eventually came back down the narrow rut called a trail, to see where I had disappeared to... Of course they wanted to know why I had picked this particular spot to take a nap between the two redwood trees!! When my best bud came back, (the KTM rider), HE ASKED ME WHYI HAD ELECTED TO SAVE THE damned BIKE. Actually he said: "Hey Dumb ****, haven't I told you to get away from them damned bikes when you start to go down??!! Why the hell don't you listen?"

Now that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... but I've never forgotten that lesson and am trying my damnedest to pass the
education along.

Other than the pro's, I've never met anyone that knows more, nor rides any better than my KTM buddy, Dale, what he tells me is like gospel and I listen to his advice.

I've said enough, sorry if it seems like a rant but it may prove beneficial to a few of our forum friends. Just trying to help!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't agree more with the 'get away from the bike,' or should say 'save yourself first' philosophy.

When I rode a sport bikes, I watched a friend of mine on a Harley wipe outin front of me in a gravelparking lot. He ended-up with his leg pinned between the bike and the gravel and with a healthy case of road rash. When he told me he was glad he stayedwith the bike and saved the paint on the side cover with his leg, I couldn't help but reply "you dumbazz!" I've never understood that mentality.

Quick Reply: 1st dump of my KLX