First Dump

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Default First Dump

Hi Guys,

I haven't been here for a few weeks. I was about to order some of the upgrades until ...well **** happened and I haven't had time for the bike until now.

I left work last night to get something from home. I started it up and got moving a little. I am driving on conrete which is next to some grass. The grass is 4 or 5 inches lower than the concrete. It was 3am and whatever happened I stalled it. I was only going a couple of mph so I put my foot down when the bike came to a stop. But the grass, where my foot is touching, is 4 inches lower than the ground the bike is on. There I am holding the bike up at a crazy angle. After a couple minutes I realize I can't push the bike up straight and I will have to let the bike fall , get up and pick it up. So I do that and when I hit the grass the sprinkler system comes on and is spraying me in the face while I am trying to get out from under the bike. There wasn't any damage to me or the bike but I think it must have been pretty funny to see.

Anyway... I know this is gonna sound bad but I am going to do an oil change and wondered if it is really simple to do myself and if there are any tips .. any problems I could run into. I am not even sure where the oil plug is or how much oil to put in.. or what kind.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Dump

wish I had video of that lmao

its funny cause I have done the same thing ... well without the sprikler system I was trailriding and got stuck I couldn't get the bike up so had to put it down

Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 AM

If you put 1.5 quarts of oil back in the bike like the owners manual says to, it will be too full. Pour a quart in and just keep adding a little at a time until the oil level is just below the full line.......with the bike sitting level.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That sprinkler incident is pretty funny I have to admit - sorry man, don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, glad you and your bike are none the worse for it

Just follow the manual for the oil change - no special tricks required, except if you are changing the filter too and in that case a little dab of grease on the filter spring to hold it in place on the filter while you re-install it is a handy tip.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

haha... that is pretty funny..... glad no damage

Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 AM

Lol, that is funny. Glad you and the bike are ok. One suggestion is don't overtighten the drain plug, stripping those threads would be a mess.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:10 AM

I was pissed when it first happened but when i got the bike back up and started on my way, I realized that it was pretty funny too.

Do I need to change the filter too? I now have 120 miles on it. Sorry .. I am at work and I don't have the manual and I am going to try to pick up what I need at the Super Walmart on the way home.

[RANT]
Damn guys, the dealership I bought the bike from has turned out to suck even more. I haven't received my plate yet and my temp expired. The delaership was waiting on $4.00 from me. $4.00 ****ing dollars!!!. I called and spoke with the manager and told him he was insane. That the price of registration was included in the contract and I would be glad to bring the bike back if they couldn't fulfill their end. What ****ing *****. I was raped on the financing charge as well as the price and now they are holding up my plate over $4.00 . The manager agreed to send the plate out.

Motorsports of Delray sucks!!!!

[/RANT]

Old 10-01-2006, 04:26 AM

ntloser, are you going with the easy break in or the hard break in? If you're going withe the easy break in you might want to let it go a few more miles before an oil change. I changed mine at around 575 miles. But I went with the easy break in though. I would definately change the filter.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:14 AM

The hard break in.... Damn this is sounding familiar.. I think I may have asked this before.. my short-term memory is going fast.. sorry guys I will use the search feature..

Old 10-01-2006, 05:41 AM

I went home and got the manual. Wow it says we have to replace the drain plug gasket everytime and use a torque wrench for the drain plug.

Do you guys always use the torque wrench or just tighten it to feel? Also does the gasket really need to be replaced on the drain plug every time or only when it is .. worn/damaged.

Quick Reply: First Dump