19.9 Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Remember guys the basic design is nearly 15 years old. Does anyone remember what the competition looked like looked like back in 1994? The KLX was cutting edge. LOL

Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe its the experience standpoint you are coming from. This is your third bike, I'm assuming you know how to ride decently. A 250 DS might not have been the best choice if you were looking to go fast.

This is my first bike, and although I've been around bikes my whole life, I only learned to ride in the last 6 months. For me, this bike makes plenty of power. In the woods, its the crappy stock tires that let me down, not the motor. It has plenty of guts for the trail riding I do. I do commute ~3 miles one-way every day, and I'll ride the roads for fun, but this bike isn't at home on the streets. Its better at home in tight woods or gravel roads.

Nonetheless, I hope it works out for you in the long run, if you keep it or you move up on the world.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
While someone else has said about what I am about to say, I can't hold off because I, the self proclaimed bigmouth of this forum can't leave well enough alone. It is your fault that you bought a bike that has no power, is heavy, marginally suspended, and bulletproof. You should've rode one as you admit. If you thought this bike was going to run like your MX bike, well, you're quite naive and thus should be stuck with this bike. The bike has never claimed to be an MX bike; it will NEVER run like any MX bike. I don't care if you big-bore it, cam it, full Muzzy or BigGun it (which are the most power producing exhausts out there, documented on this site), lighten the flywheel, etc. It just ain't happening. The bike weighs close to 300lbs. With those mentioned mods, the bike only makes 28 horsepower with a street tire which too, is documented on this site from a dyno. The bike is admittedly underpowered, but people know this when they buy them. I knew it when I bought my first '06. I BG'd it and geared it along with jetting and airbox changes. I did the same to my new '09 'cept I did a full Muzzy this time. Both run very well and do everything I ask of them. Can you take your KXF on the road legally? I don't think so. If you do the search, I'm the one who HAS bashed the KLX for everything you just have, but I bought another one. The bike can do it all, not everything perfectly, but can do IT all if you really want to attempt it on the bike. With around $700 or so, the bike can make around 23 documented rwhp and make all but the pros happy. If you wanted a street legal racebike, you should've bought a Husky TE250, which too btw, is as choked up as the KLX but will produce 30 horsepower very easily. But that bike, like your MX bikes and any KTM or Husky, will not last nearly as long as the KLX. The KLX is virtually maintenance free for it's lifetime meaning you adjust your valves and change the oil and you've got a 100,000 or so mile engine. Ok, I'm done. Back to mariokart on the wii.
Well Iowa, you and I have not agreed on some issues over time but I must say you hit it this one on the head! Well said! The KLX is hard to beat and i'll have mine for a long time!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'll have my KLX until it is illegal to ride or I'm dead!! Remember.....Power is all relative. If you told me that the dyno reading on my bike was 5 HP I would still love the bike. Who cares about power or how fast you can go, this is not a crotch rocket, its a dual purpose bike. Just the word dual purpose references the fact that you are going to be at the low end of the spectrum on two different levels. But, you will never get bored riding on the streets and all of the sudden you come upon a trail and 3 hours later are still having a blast exploring, and then all of the sudden pop out on a road and ride home legally. Power is as relative as the reason we end up with the people we do in our lives. If you're happy then be happy, if you're not, then move on.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and I might add, the power was low when I bought my bike, but with the jetting and the pipe and gear changes the bike now absolutely ROCKS!! And this is coming from the biggest and fattest guy that has the KLX on this forum.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know,,, what the hype is all about,, I think like someone said your just used to a different bike world.. I love my KLX and have always been into racing qauds,, I hang with the yfz450 and the honda x450r or whatever it is and the 400 ex all day long,, Yeah they have just a little more umph than me but My KLX hangs,, awsome on the trails and steep hills,, I dont know. though,, I hate that you feel this way,, but everyone is different and has diff. needs.. as for me the KLX serves all my needs properly and proudly.. Like someone said if it makes you smile then its for you.. but its diff. for you and others.. Oh and IMO If your goin to spend 5g's then you should have test drove it.. Thats just stupid buying something 5g's + and not even test riding it.. but thats my 2 cents... and im not tryin to offend ya either im just sayin

But I do hope the KLX after its broken end changes your mind a lil after all its not a racing bike, or a 450 cc engine either.. its not made for alot of things that you described doin

Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Just had this conversation with someone,all my local dealers won't let you ride it unless you buy one. I can see there point but as a consumer I would like to try it out to see if its what I really want. Kinda sucks for a buyer.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode the KLX at 2 differeant dealers, and rode a wr250 around the parking lot at a yammi dealer,, hmmm,,, I guess it might be cuase everyone and there mother rides qauds or dirt bikes around here

but i can see where they wouldnt,, I guess its all about location

Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

You know what though, riding it for 2 minutes around a parking lot isn't going to tell you much. Alot better than nothing, granted. But, it took me a week to get a good feel for my bike. Taking it under different conditions, getting use to its handling, etc.
________
Herbal vaporizer

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
You know what though, riding it for 2 minutes around a parking lot isn't going to tell you much. Alot better than nothing, granted. But, it took me a week to get a good feel for my bike. Taking it under different conditions, getting use to its handling, etc.

oh yeah I see what your saying,, the bike I test rode isnt the bike im riding today, even though its the same one lol if that makes any sense

Quick Reply: 19.9 Horsepower?