19.9 Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry 19.9 Horsepower?

Hey guys I am new to the klx250, I like the bike ok but after doing some mods I feel the little red machine should be producing more power than 19.9 horsepower. I got 298 miles on the bike and was fed up with the break in period recomended by the factory so I felt it was time to ride this bike like a man should and quit limping the thing along. I took it for a ride and was totally bummed out with the lack of power the bike had, "less power than my daughters crf 150!" This bike performed like a joke, the handling was good, comfortable to ride, cool display, suspension...ok, but the power SUCKS! I immediatley took it to a local engine performance shop and had him put a new headpipe,hmf can, dyno jet kit, removed airbox lid, and installed k/n with precharger. After all of this my bike put out a whoppin 19.9 horsepower on the dyno. Are you freaking kidding me??? I thought i would have see upper 20's with the work done. Is this normal or do I just have a lemon? I keep hearing how the jetting/pipe combo's turn this bike around but Im not feeling it...A little different yes, powerfull and hauls butt, FAR from it!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

same deal with mine... dyno'd with pretty much the same mods at just over 19 hp.. if u want more either sell it or get a big bore/pumper upgrade.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsac
same deal with mine... dyno'd with pretty much the same mods at just over 19 hp.. if u want more either sell it or get a big bore/pumper upgrade.
Bummer! I guess after reading some of the posts on this forum I hoped for more power than I'm getting. The words haul ***, fast, quick powerfull should not be used in the same sentence as Klx250s.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Honestly, it depends on where and how you ride the bike. With some lower gearing and the mods you have, the bike will be pretty quick through tight woods.

If your riding a lot of street with it, you should have bought a drz.

Gear the klx to the same top speed as the crf150 has and see how quick it becomes.

A lot of people on here get hung up on the numbers of this bike. Just ride the thing. If it puts a smile on your face then good, if it doesn't then sell it and get something else. This is a 250 dualsport bike were talking about, how much power did you really think it was going to have?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Put a 13 or 12 tooth front sprocket on it. That will help it get up and go quicker, but will reduce overall speed of the machine. I can verify that with a 12t it really hooks up. When I had it on my bike basically stock with just a 12 tooth sprocket and a kenda trak master rear tire on it and the suspension set real soft (from the previous owner) it hooked up off road like it was a train on tracks. But in high gear... if I remember correctly.. it was at 7K going 60mph. The 13 tooth is good middle ground, and I assume your running the 14 tooth now.

You should maybe pick up a header to go along with your new can. But like others said, after that its either big bore kit or get another bike. The big bore kits aren't bad. You can get the 330 from Kraft which is basically bolt on. Then if you want to keep going you get a pumper carb, regrind the cams, port it, heavier clutch, and I would imagine you could probably lighten the flywheel too if you wanted. I don't know about that last one though. I've never heard of anyone doing that on a KLX but its pretty common on other bikes. I think I read a post on here from some guy he had his running in the 30's horsepower range. I think with the Kraft kit, carb, pipe, and airbox lid removed it was at 28 horsepower. But remember, its also going to get up and go alot quicker, its not just overall power.

Did you drill out the crankcase vent in the airbox?
________
ULTRAM REHAB FORUMS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
Honestly, it depends on where and how you ride the bike. With some lower gearing and the mods you have, the bike will be pretty quick through tight woods.

If your riding a lot of street with it, you should have bought a drz.

Gear the klx to the same top speed as the crf150 has and see how quick it becomes.

A lot of people on here get hung up on the numbers of this bike. Just ride the thing. If it puts a smile on your face then good, if it doesn't then sell it and get something else. This is a 250 dualsport bike were talking about, how much power did you really think it was going to have?

you said it

Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

It is what it is, but dyno #'s aren't the end of the world are you having fun on it? There are still lots of things you can do but if you want to go alot faster it might be better to just trade up.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure it doesn't help that the CDI has the same 25 degree advance from 1300RPM all the way up.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxdude
I got 298 miles on the bike and was fed up with the break in period recomended by the factory so I felt it was time to ride this bike like a man should and quit limping the thing along. I took it for a ride and was totally bummed out with the lack of power the bike had, "less power than my daughters crf 150!
kdude,

298 miles does not a break-in make, I don't care what mods you do. I bought my '07 with just under 500 and it wasn't until around 1,000 that it began to feel truly broken in. Much smoother power delivery, better low end torque, the whole schmeel. Dead stock.

I have deferred mods deliberately until I had a feel for the base performance. It's no rocket to be sure, but even in stock trim the bike is noticably quicker after break-in. I've spent the last couple of months gathering the bits for the necessary mods - can, dynojet kit, yada yada, and will be surprised if when I'm done the bike doesn't perform much better.

You've heard it here before, but if the bike doesn't perform to your satisfaction just sell it and move on. Previous posters have said it, and I agree - if it doesn't bring a smile to your face, maybe it's not for you. Not to worry, it's all good....

Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Its still the bike you bought....

I bought mine under powered.....Why.......gas mileage and weight so I could whip it around and drive it close to year round in the upper north east....Take it on a dirt trail and go wide open in 3rd instead of second....Theres power there but you gotta run the next gear...If your wanting pure top end or wheelies at a blip of the throttle...Well wrong bike..Or just too much money chasing the carrot...

Kinda like the car drag racers who put tons of time and money to go quicker when they could have just bought a 1000cc motorcycle stock and beat their fastest time that same night...

Youll never be happy trying to go faster...

Rocco

Quick Reply: 19.9 Horsepower?