09 KLX250 valves

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member

If I was that far in the motor and the valves were at the tightest tolerance, I'd go ahead and re-shim to the middle of spec (if not a bit further).
Then you are definitely good for another 7500mi, at the least.
The bike will start a little easier and run better too.
Going from checking the valves to changing the shims is another level of wrenching.
It's not hard, it just requires care and patience.
I'd done a few screw type valve adjustments before doing this bike, I was a tad nervous, but it came out fine.
FWIW, at 47,000mi I've adjusted the valves twice over five checks, although I'm about to go back in and check them again.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't get too shook up if at the upper clearance amount. It was critical with shim over bucket because they could spit a shim if the valves floated at high rpm, but that was eliminated with shim under bucket. Unless they're more than a thou out the top it is almost not worth bothering - per the guys I worked with at a Kaw/Yam/Honda shop when I asked about it with two valves at a thou over the top limit.

That said, if you're in there why not reshim, mine was a 4 cylinder, more complication. Just don't shim to the lowest clearance, they tighten up as the valves seat or wear into the seats.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
If I was that far in the motor and the valves were at the tightest tolerance, I'd go ahead and re-shim to the middle of spec (if not a bit further).
Then you are definitely good for another 7500mi, at the least.
The bike will start a little easier and run better too.
Going from checking the valves to changing the shims is another level of wrenching.
It's not hard, it just requires care and patience.
I'd done a few screw type valve adjustments before doing this bike, I was a tad nervous, but it came out fine.
FWIW, at 47,000mi I've adjusted the valves twice over five checks, although I'm about to go back in and check them again.
Yeah I went ahead and reshimmed it while I was there. It would have bothered me knowing it was that tight and about to be out of spec. Now it won't eat away at me that I left it there. Haha only draw back is that my valve cover is leaking now. Get to tear it back apart and adjust that a bit!