Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

Mule 3010 secondary driven clutch locks up/freezes when put in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 03:37 PM
Default Mule 3010 secondary driven clutch locks up/freezes when put in any gear

Hello everyone, first post here. I have a Mule 3010 they had low compression and I put a rebuilt engine in it. The problem I'm having is that while both the primary drive clutch and secondary driven clutch spin together with the engine idling in neutral, as soon as you go to put it in any gear the secondary driven clutch completely stops moving and the primary drive clutch keeps turning so the belt makes a very loud squealing noise due to the friction of rubbing against the secondary driven pulley. I put a new secondary driven pulley and belt on it and the problem still exists. I inspected the two gear selector linkages on the transmission and they both operate freely. I even went out to look at a friend's Mule 3010 and took a video of the operation of the two gear selector positions in high gear, neutral, low gear, and reverse to compare and they look to be identical. Does anyone have a clue what would be causing this? The only other thing I can think of is that when I first went to start the engine, the shifter cable bracket was still hanging loose since it is bolted to the engine and I had to move it around a bit to get it in neutral so it would crank. Not certain if this could have caused any issues, but again both of the gear selector levers appear to be operating properly. Transmission fluid is full and clean. Any ideas? Any help would be very, very much appreciated!